Bicycle replacement advice

Posted 18th Jun 2023
I have a Kona Splice hybrid which is coming up to its end of term on the C2W scheme. I can either stump up about £200 to keep it, start again - or just by one outright. If so I’d budget £600-£1000. I have a Blue Light Card which some retailers take. My Kona is going for about £500+ new now which is putting me off buying mine off them.

Usage: My commute is only 15 minutes. Mix of paths, road, pavement and grass. The road surface is pretty naff. Only a few upward slopes going in. My kids now have MTB’s so I might look to do more of this with them. I have no plans to go to any MTB centres or to do any serious tearing up though. I’d prefer upright riding over gravel/road bikes. Thinking hard tail this time and although I’m being badgered by some friends to go electric I’m not interested.

Had a good look online yesterday and also popped into Halfords to see some of the Voodoo bikes.

Voodoo Bizango gets good reviews for the price. Bizango Pro likewise but not convinced about the colour. Both have been cheaper than they are currently. I know Halfords get a mixed response on service etc but I can’t complain about my local one.

Others that I’ve seen on budget are the Vitus range, Ragley Marley, Canyon Stoic and lower end Nukeproof’s.

Tubeless ready would be nice.

Another question raised is whether to go for 27 or 29’s. Im 6ft so a large frame seems correct.

I know I might get 101 opinions but any thoughts appreciated.
Community Updates
New Comment

3 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Regarding the C2W scheme, check if you have the option for extended hire where you don't pay any extra but you don't actually own the bike for another few years.
    Author
    Think I do which will give me a bit more time to decide on a replacement
Discussions
Top Merchants