Can i limit a networked device from access to the internet via Virgin router?

Posted 25th Sep 2023
Hi all.

I have the Virgin Media Superhub 3 and i was wondering if i was able to set a rule on it to block access for a specific device from accessing the Internet but still making it able to see and access other devices on the network.

Any ideas please?

Thanks.
Community Updates
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Might be easier to just assign your device a static ip address on your network but give it a duff gateway address. This way all internal network traffic will work but it won’t be able to reach out to the internet
    In a word no.

Some routers may allow routing and security layers to prevent Internet access but a consumer grade router, especially as one as bad as VMs will sadly be a no.
    Incorrect - this functionality is built-in to the Hub 3, it is basic (MAC address filtering), but it's there. They also created an app, however I haven't tested it against the Hub 3
    Is there a Wireless > Access Control page anywhere on the routers admin page?
    It’s under Advanced settings > Security > MAC filtering.

Once the MAC address of the device in question has been added it should stop it from accessing the Internet and still be able to connect to local devices.
    Using the virgin VMconnect app, you can pause any devices internet access.
    The firmware on all Virgin Media kit is crippled to enable only basic functionality.
    However you can use the MAC filtering option and set a rule to block all traffic to a given MAC address for a specified period of time. It will stop all internet traffic for that device, however you should still be able to navigate to other devices on your LAN. Note that it lacks granular settings for individual devices.
    They do provide an app that allows you to pause & un-pause internet connections as well, although I don't know if it works with the Hub 3.

There are better ways to achieve a similar result and most MACs can be randomised/spoofed these days which will allow whatever rules you create to be bypassed. (Apple devices do this automatically by design, so this configuration may only work once)
    Are you referring to this?

wifi-blocker.com/vir…ls/

If so it looks as if it just cuts off the router connection to the device through its mac. This will stop all connectivity and thus prevent lan access.

Unless I've read the OP wrong and just wants other devices to have access whilst restricting one rather than retricting one whilst still allowing it access on the lan with Internet restricted on that particular device.
    Author
    Great tips, thanks so much
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants