DPD Courier left parcel on street and claimed it was a successful delivery

Posted 27th Oct 2020
Hi, I live on a High St in London which can get quite busy. All deliveries are supposed to be to the shop below where I live. The delivery instructions are on the paperwork but of course, quite often, couriers fail to read them. On this occasion, the courier left the parcel on the doorstep ledge resting against the front door which is essentially on the street. I got notification the parcel had been 'delivered' and managed to rescue the package off the street. However, I was very unhappy with the situation along with the fact it was a food parcel. The package was partly damaged but if it had been delivered correctly I'd have ignored this. Anyway, I've returned the item and asked for compensation for cost of returning the package which has been rejected. Am I within my rights to ask for compensation here given that essentially the product/service paid for has not been delivered? Thx in advance.
Community Updates
New Comment

29 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    paul_merton
    I don't understand why you returned it? You seem to have cut off your nose to spite your face. You even said that despite the damage, you would have ignored that fact if it had been "delivered correctly", so you seem to be returning it solely because you are sulking about it being left on your doorstep where it could have gone missing, but crucially, didn't! Assuming you actually wanted the item in the first place, all you've done is inconvenience yourself, and at your cost. Surely by now you must realise it would have been preferable and far less hassle to just keep the parcel your received.
    Dave
    I’d have been grateful they chose DPD to deliver, they’re one of the better firms
    bozo007
    You are going to be out of luck. The pandemic has offered an extra layer of excuses for many businesses even though they behaved in exactly the same way earlier.
    .MUFC.
    Could have been worse, They could have used Herpes
    SaturdayGigs
    .MUFC.27/10/2020 16:33

Could have been worse, They could have used Herpes

Thats a word thats on the tip of your tongue
    Turret-Buddy
    deleted163260827/10/2020 17:22

Comment deleted

Taking a picture of it in the wrong place out on the street, even better
    pfagan10
    You can ask but likely will not get in all honesty. You've returned the product and unhappy with the delivery process, rather than "not delivered". Waste of time.
    .MUFC.
    deleted419727/10/2020 16:40

Thats a word thats on the tip of your tongue

When it comes to Hermes I can think of many more
    electrogear
    It’s too late. You should’ve pushed for them to pay return costs. Because you’ve paid it yourself, and that was your choice, it’s their discretion whether they refund your return postage fees or not. Also, as you admittedly intercepted the package and it wasn’t lost, you don’t have a claim there either. The onus is on the delivery company to prove they’ve delivered it to you (signature) or left it in your designated safe place (photo). They have insurance to cover crap delivery drivers, of which there are many - but in this instance there is no claim to be had there.
    Turret-Buddy
    Should have just said you didn't receive it
    choccie32
    You should have contacted the company before you returned it. Taken pictures of the damage so they can claim from the delivery company. Waited to find out what they wanted you to do with the package.
    RYANdeals
    You have returned the item which only impacts the company who you ordered from. This does not get back at DPD in any way and I do not understand that decision.

And dependent on the food order, the company may well just have to dispose of the food now and take the loss.

Yes maybe they can make a claim against DPD falling below the Service Level Agreement between themselves and DPD but this seems like a lot of hassle created over hypothetical "what if's" and not focused on what actually did happen, which is, you did receive your parcel. Yes it could have been worse. But it is done now and life is too short. (edited)
    Sc4mp0
    lookatmywadd27/10/2020 17:59

Yep, especially in light of how the company have treated me subsequently. …Yep, especially in light of how the company have treated me subsequently. Lesson here it seems!

"how the company have treated me"

a bit dramatic don't you think?

You ordered an item for when you weren't in to accept it. If they hadn't left it you would he on here kicking off that you had to travel 10 miles to the local station to go pick it up instead of then leaving it as its safe.
    SaturdayGigs
    Who are you asking for compensation? Dpd?
    If dpd, you never had a contract with them, the seller did
    Anonymous User
    You say you already returned it and unsuccessfully claimed for compensation.. and your question is are you within your rights to ask for compensation? Is that right?
    Sc4mp0
    The product was delivered though, you chose to return it.

Now if you wanted to claim for damage from the shipper that's a completely separate question but you can't claim compensation for something that didn't happen.
    lookatmywadd Author
    Turret-Buddy27/10/2020 17:20

Wasn't delivered to the designated location. No proof of the fact, so …Wasn't delivered to the designated location. No proof of the fact, so yeah. Never received it

The courier took a photo of the parcel on the doorstep ledge which essentially proves he just left it on the street. That pic has now magically disappeared off the DPD website.
    spoo
    Dave27/10/2020 16:30

I’d have been grateful they chose DPD to deliver, they’re one of the bet …I’d have been grateful they chose DPD to deliver, they’re one of the better firms

They used to be, now they're pretty much at the same level as all the others.

What I used to like about them was their 2 hour delivery slots could ALWAYS be relied upon, now they're meaningless. Not unusual to get parcels turn up hours outside the slot.
    lookatmywadd Author
    Turret-Buddy27/10/2020 17:09

Yep, especially in light of how the company have treated me subsequently. Lesson here it seems!
    senukas
    Dave27/10/2020 16:30

I’d have been grateful they chose DPD to deliver, they’re one of the bet …I’d have been grateful they chose DPD to deliver, they’re one of the better firms

Used to be one of the better, now they are bad, and in Milton Keynes very bad indeed. Given the choice would never use them again, even Hermes offers better service and price.
    SaturdayGigs
    spoo27/10/2020 17:26

They used to be, now they're pretty much at the same level as all the …They used to be, now they're pretty much at the same level as all the others.What I used to like about them was their 2 hour delivery slots could ALWAYS be relied upon, now they're meaningless. Not unusual to get parcels turn up hours outside the slot.

Always find them the best, must be lucky. (edited)
    paul_merton
    lookatmywadd27/10/2020 17:59

Yep, especially in light of how the company have treated me subsequently. …Yep, especially in light of how the company have treated me subsequently. Lesson here it seems!

I don't think lying about not receiving it (fraud) can be justified just because you've chosen to return something for a silly reason and can't get your return postage back.
    mork-09
    Lol I had a card delivered by Hermes the other day when I was out to say that they had delivered the Item to a house across the road and a few houses down.

i went to the house thinking I was going to say thanks to the neighbour for taking my parcel only to find my parcel lying on their path??? Lol why they just didn’t leave it my path??
    bargainhunter139
    Turret-Buddy27/10/2020 17:09

Gps on the drivers scanner will tell a different story
    GreekJesus
    You can ask.
    lookatmywadd Author
    deleted137392127/10/2020 16:35

You say you already returned it and unsuccessfully claimed for …You say you already returned it and unsuccessfully claimed for compensation.. and your question is are you within your rights to ask for compensation? Is that right?

I've told the company I've returned the item which I think they'll compensate me for - they've not received it yet but they said they'll refund me when they get it but said the return cost was my problem.

Thanks for replies. At least I have a good idea of where I stand next time.
    Turret-Buddy
    deleted163260827/10/2020 17:16

Comment deleted

Wasn't delivered to the designated location. No proof of the fact, so yeah. Never received it
    lookatmywadd Author
    Turret-Buddy27/10/2020 17:20

Wasn't delivered to the designated location. No proof of the fact, so …Wasn't delivered to the designated location. No proof of the fact, so yeah. Never received it

Yes, essentially I was upfront and honest about the whole situation with the company. I explained that the problem lies with them and DPD and I should at least be compensated for return postage but they've refused to acknowledge that.

Here in UK, the Serious Fraud Office don't investigate white collar crime under £1 million and that was years ago - the figure is more likely £10 million now.
    Dannyrobbo
    deleted163260827/10/2020 17:25

Comment deleted

I would consider an item delivered when it’s actually in the property. If photos are taken it’s generally at the property with the door open.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants