Help - Urgent Help Needed to Open My Car Bonnet

deleted5788's avatar deleted5788 48
Posted 22nd Jan 2012
Help - my wife's Peugeot 207 GT wouldn't start on Friday (just made a clicking sound when she turned the ignition)

Green Flag came to her work address Friday PM and jump started it, checked the battery & alternator etc and said it would charge on the 8 mile journey home.

I tried it yesterday and it still wouldn't start and so when I went to jump start it I found the the bonnet release lever in the passenger footwell was loose and I can't open the bonnet.

I can't see the cable behind the lever and it looks like I'll have to pay to have it recovered to a garage on Monday unless I can get it going, as I don't have homestart on my Green Flag policy.

Anyone got any helpful advice please?
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment

48 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    360baby
    sorry cant really help with your problem but after you have fixed the problem get a more reliable car, cars like Honda, Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Volkswagen and Mercs. Had a honda civic, was the best car I had, reliable and safe.

I heard a saying that Peugeots spend more time in garages then on the road.
    Anonymous User Author
    He said that he thought it was a common fault on previous models but that Peugeot had sorted it.
    Anyway, he removed the plastic trim along the door sill which curved up towards the lever, this allowed him to undo the lever and remove it. The bonnet cable was still attached to the back of the lever mechanism and he was just able to pull it with pliers. The bonnet popped 1st time.

He wasn't able to repair it, so I'll have to get it back to Peugeot to have it sorted.

Green Flag turned up to my wife on Friday (who was on her own) after a 2 hour wait, despite texting her that attendance would be no later than an hour. They also gave a dodgy excuse when my wife called for an update. Although he got the car going, he failed to diagnose the battery fault and sent her on her way with the assurance that everything was ok.
    The RAC bloke turned up to home on a non emergency call within 30 minutes (and he rang on the way), got the bonnet open, sussed out the battery fault and replaced it from stock held in his van. I was very impressed with the service.

I'm sure many people will have good and bad experiences with both Green Flag and RAC, but I know where my money will be going at renewal.

(edited)
    .MUFC.
    Common issue with batteries, Hard to tell if they have enough amps unless they test them properly, They degrade over time, Lot's of misdiagnosis on batteries.

If you don't know how old a battery is and you start suffering starting up issues, Replace battery.

Pleased you got it sorted, Now sell it and get something that isn't French.
    dimebars
    Phone green flag and ask why they left you unable to open your bonnet

And give it a good yank - they are sometimes slack
    dimebars
    Or bump start it
    boabbyrab
    dimebars

Or bump start it

not advisable to bump start modern cars
    jacky5847
    Try pulling the lever and someone pushing up and down on the bonnet. If you havent already.
    dimebars

Advisable by who?

Any other viable suggestion as to how the OP is going to get it running and to the garage that won't incur recovery costs?

boabbyrab

not advisable to bump start modern cars

dimebars
    OP - how old is the car? Is it under warranty? Is the Peugeot Assistance still valid?
    Anonymous User Author
    Wow that was quick
    Car is an 08, bought from Peugeot Dealership 7 months ago. When I picked it up the lever wouldn't work, so they took the car out back - 10 mins later it was sorted.

When my wife got home Friday, I checked under the bonnet ok as I was gonna put the battery on charge overnight.

Weather was so bad Friday, I thought I'd wait to charge the battery until Saturday so closed the bonnet.

Lever didn't work Saturday a.m. just hanging slack, with no resistance at all

Johnmcl7
    dimebars

Advisable by who?

Push starting modern cars is not recommended (some car manuals have ths in big letters) because they rely on several parts to start correctly that will not get power they need before the engine starts due to the push start. Jump starting is advised as that way all the car's systems are correctly powered for a normal start and avoids the potential of damage to engine components.

John
    dimebars
    And beef gives you cancer

Bump start it, take it to the dealer and get them to fix it properly
    Johnmcl7
    MonkeyPrince

Wow that was quickCar is an 08, bought from Peugeot Dealership 7 months … Wow that was quickCar is an 08, bought from Peugeot Dealership 7 months ago. When I picked it up the lever wouldn't work, so they took the car out back - 10 mins later it was sorted.When my wife got home Friday, I checked under the bonnet ok as I was gonna put the battery on charge overnight.Weather was so bad Friday, I thought I'd wait to charge the battery until Saturday so closed the bonnet.Lever didn't work Saturday a.m. just hanging slack, with no resistance at all

Was there any reason for the battery to be flat such as headlights being left on or was the engine restarted repeatedly within a short period of time? If not, it sounds like the battery is needing replaced which I've just had to do on my car as the cold seems to have finished it off.

I was going to say check the position the bonnet catch is in as it sounds like it hasn't returned properly when the bonnet was closed but the fact this was a fault on the car before means it's probably not as simple as that - can you see the lever/catch under the bonnet at all?

John
    Anonymous User Author
    Johnmcl7

Was there any reason for the battery to be flat such as headlights being … Was there any reason for the battery to be flat such as headlights being left on or was the engine restarted repeatedly within a short period of time? If not, it sounds like the battery is needing replaced which I've just had to do on my car as the cold seems to have finished it off.I was going to say check the position the bonnet catch is in as it sounds like it hasn't returned properly when the bonnet was closed but the fact this was a fault on the car before means it's probably not as simple as that - can you see the lever/catch under the bonnet at all?John

The battery doesn't seem completely flat now as the automatic door mirrors still work when unlocking the car. The Green Flag bloke said the battery was charging ok, but I'm not whether it was flat on Friday when he jump started it. Lights hadn't been left on, as they are automatic.

Wife now thinks it wasn't starting perfectly a couple of times over the past week but never mentioned it to me.

I've tried the pushing up and down on the bonnet technique, but there is zero resistance on the lever in the footwell so no joy.

I cannot even see the bonnet catch, as the bonnet itself sits flush wit the rest of the bodywork as per pic 13486003-RqxIm

Anonymous User
    Wondering if the car has been in an accident at some point. Bonnet sitting a bit creased and causing problems?
    mutley1
    here are my two suggested solutions

1. tow the car a distance away from the house and then call greenflag and say it has broken down
    2. look around for companies that sell car batteries that would come out to fit it. ask them if they would be able to open the bonnet as it seems stuck. say that you would buy a new battery from them if they can get the bonnet open to install it.

sounds like the car needs a new battery anyway.
    Anonymous User Author
    dimebars

Phone green flag and ask why they left you unable to open your bonnetAnd … Phone green flag and ask why they left you unable to open your bonnetAnd give it a good yank - they are sometimes slack

Tried that, they said it was fine when they left it, good yank made no difference
    Anonymous User Author
    WoolyM

Wondering if the car has been in an accident at some point. Bonnet … Wondering if the car has been in an accident at some point. Bonnet sitting a bit creased and causing problems?

Full check at purchase came back clear, no other signs of accident evident. Seems more likely to be a bonnet cable/mechanism problem?
    greatest666
    MonkeyPrince

Is that your house in the background.
    Looks cool
    Anonymous User
    MonkeyPrince

Tried that, they said it was fine when they left it, good yank made no … Tried that, they said it was fine when they left it, good yank made no difference

Doh, Mutleys suggestion might have been better. Get them to come and open it for you.
    dimebars
    It's not Lacerta Yellow is it?

I feel for you if it is
    Anonymous User
    Misc is a bit like the sea. The tide can turn quickly
    (edited)
    mutley1
    WoolyM

Misc is a bit like the sea. The tide can turn quickly

very true observation but this also happens in real life.
    Anonymous User Author
    The photo is off the web, was quickly added to thread to show bonnet design
    mutley1
    MonkeyPrince

The photo is off the web, was quickly added to thread to show bonnet … The photo is off the web, was quickly added to thread to show bonnet design

good diversion. don't want greatest stalking your house. (_;)
    greatest666
    mutley1

good diversion. don't want greatest stalking your house. (_;)

Seriously, who wouldn't stalk someone who lived in a house like that.
    mutley1
    greatest666

Seriously, who wouldn't stalk someone who lived in a house like that.

you sound like that bloke out of the old tv program, through the keyhole, 'and who lives in a house like this?'

i can't see much of the house to be able to distinguish it in the photo so I am surprised you can. it looks like there is a ghost image of a ship's layout in the photo which I am confused about.
    Anonymous User
    mutley1

you sound like that bloke out of the old tv program, through the keyhole, … you sound like that bloke out of the old tv program, through the keyhole, 'and who lives in a house like this?'i can't see much of the house to be able to distinguish it in the photo so I am surprised you can. it looks like there is a ghost image of a ship's layout in the photo which I am confused about.

House? looks like a mobile home - but theres another thread about them
    Qesharak
    Has anyone suggested getting someone to tow the car and jump starting it that way? Then at least the OP can take it somewhere to release the bonnet.
    Anonymous User Author
    I bought one of these, and when I connected it to both cars the LED indicated that the 207 battery is fully charged.

So it seems even if I got the bonnet open I wouldn't be able to jump start it anyway.

Not sure what the Green Flag bloke did to get it going, wife said he just connected it to a mobile battery starter thing, but if the battery was charged already how would that help?

So it looks like I'll have to pay cost of recovery, repair of starting system and repair of bonnet lever.
    .MUFC.
    MonkeyPrince

I bought one of these, and when I connected it to both cars the LED … I bought one of these, and when I connected it to both cars the LED indicated that the 207 battery is fully charged.So it seems even if I got the bonnet open I wouldn't be able to jump start it anyway.Not sure what the Green Flag bloke did to get it going, wife said he just connected it to a mobile battery starter thing, but if the battery was charged already how would that help?So it looks like I'll have to pay cost of recovery, repair of starting system and repair of bonnet lever.

Wouldn't trust charge indicator, However perhaps your starter motor or immobiliser may be faulty, French cars = Headache...!!!
    NewBorn
    Is there no way you can reach behind the bonnet lever grab the cable with pliers and give it a tug?
    Anonymous User
    id go with the suggestion tow it so far from your house then call them out again
    greatest666
    mutley1

you sound like that bloke out of the old tv program, through the keyhole, … you sound like that bloke out of the old tv program, through the keyhole, 'and who lives in a house like this?'i can't see much of the house to be able to distinguish it in the photo so I am surprised you can. it looks like there is a ghost image of a ship's layout in the photo which I am confused about.

Yes that was deliberate.

The massive sperm shaped caravan in the background.
    That's the house.I think.
    mutley1
    greatest666

Yes that was deliberate.The massive sperm shaped caravan in the … Yes that was deliberate.The massive sperm shaped caravan in the background.That's the house.I think.

it looks too small. nah, i wouldn't want to stalk someone whose house is unlikely to fit us both in comfortably.
    Anonymous User
    just push the release catch back with a long screwdriver through the front grill
    Johnmcl7
    MonkeyPrince

I bought one of these, and when I connected it to both cars the LED … I bought one of these, and when I connected it to both cars the LED indicated that the 207 battery is fully charged.So it seems even if I got the bonnet open I wouldn't be able to jump start it anyway.Not sure what the Green Flag bloke did to get it going, wife said he just connected it to a mobile battery starter thing, but if the battery was charged already how would that help?So it looks like I'll have to pay cost of recovery, repair of starting system and repair of bonnet lever.

I doubt the device is measuring the battery correctly but it may be possible while the battery is taking a charge, it's simply not producing enough power to start the engine. If that was the case then a jump start would get the engine running and from then on it will mostly be the alternator providing power.

My car's battery has just failed on me, it's been getting tougher to start when cold (taking a bit longer) and then last week would no longer start the engine. When I turned the key in the ignition all the dashboard lights would light up as normal but when I turned to start the engine the starter motor just slowly chugged round, the dashboard lights flickered and various relays clicked away.

Looking around there doesn't seem any easy way to get to the release cable (without removing body work) which is understandable to stop people who shouldn't be opening the bonnet getting access.

John
    Anonymous User
    Hit the bonnet near where the catch is.
    mutley1
    thesaint

Hit the bonnet near where the catch is.

but this would cause a dent?
    Anonymous User Author
    Can't get up underneath the catch, don't fancy hitting the bonnet. Looks like I'll have to pay for recovery etc tomorrow. Thanks for all useful advice and suggestions.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants