Saving Money On Your Water Bills - Some Tips & Schemes To Help

Posted 20th Feb 2023
Update 1
Hosepipe Bans are being introduced across parts of the UK. Check HERE for latest updates from your supplier, to see if you are affected.
Water bills incur significant costs of running a home and they are increasing all the time. They are due to rise by an average of 7.5% in April 2023, which is an increase of £31 a year on a typical bill.

There are some practical things you can do to help reduce your water consumption along with discount schemes you could be eligible for, which could ultimately help you save money.

4087821_1.jpg
Should I get a water meter?

Around half of all homes have a water meter, where the size of your bill is dependant on your consumption and you are only charged for the amount of water you actually use. Water meters typically calculate the sewerage bill too, with sewerage costs being higher than day to day water use because of the processing involved in pumping waste water out of your home.

A water meter could save you money if:

• you live alone
  • you live in a home with a high rateable value
  • you use very little water.

You can ask your water company to fit a water meter for free. The water company can refuse if it thinks that installing one isn’t practical or is too expensive. If you’re a tenant, you may need permission from your landlord first.

If you are considering switching to a water meter, you can use a calculator to see if you would save money.

You can find one (HERE)

Am I eligible for any discounts off my water bills?

Water companies offer a variety of discount schemes for certain customers.

Most water companies have a social tariff scheme for customers on low incomes or for those who are receiving certain benefits.

If you have a water meter and you receive certain benefits (such as Universal Credit, Housing Benefit or Pension Credit), you may be eligible for the WaterSure scheme.

If you're on the WaterSure scheme, your bill is capped at a lower amount, regardless of how much water you use.

How could the Priority Services Register help me?

If you're on the Priority Services Register, then you're entitled to free services and support, including water deliveries in an emergency, large print bills and advance telephone notice of an interruption to your water supply.

This is provided by utility suppliers to help more vulnerable customers, for example if you're over State Pension age or living with a disability.

Contact your water supplier to get added to their register.

4087821_1.jpg
How can I reduce my water bills day to day?

There are some simple things you can do to reduce your water usage and therefore the cost of your water bills, for example:

• Fix dripping taps or leaks. These can waste the equivalent of half a bath a week.
  • Take showers instead of baths. A short shower can use as little as a third of the amount of water needed for a bath.
  • Don’t leave the tap running while brushing your teeth or shaving.
  • Use a washing-up bowl to do the dishes, rather than rinsing every plate and cup under the tap.
  • Wash vegetables in a bowl rather than under running water.
  • Use a watering can in the garden rather than a hosepipe.
  • Fit a device in your toilet cistern to minimise the water used in flushing. It can save up to three litres of water with every flush. Ask your water company if it supplies them free of charge.
  • Don’t use your washing machine or dishwasher on half-load programmes. A full load uses less water than two half loads.

Other Useful Information

Go to the Consumer Council for Water Website:

The best savings tips and offers to help with the cost of living crisis 2023
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

92 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Qesharak
    We cut our water bill down from £45 to just under £15 per month. We reuse dish and bath water for flushing the toilet, and often use water from the water butts for the same. We only do 4 minute showers.  I suppose it’s easier living in a bungalow with only two of us, but the £30 saving helps towards heating costs.
    foo.bar
    Same here I sit under the shower with mrs standing. That way I just reuse the water coming out of mrs. Dont even need to use soap for myself. I get foam straight from mrs' shower!
    For kiddos , we just take them outside when it rains with clothing of course , we are not animals.

Forgot about the 3rd world country like India who now has toilets in every house hold with running water and free electricity from solar panels. What do they know. Us Brits thought them how to live like civilised society.

Every little helps!
    Paul_f1
    Need to protest and riot like the French do,us Brits are soft a push over
    bhaskarsa
    Normally it's moan and move on
    chrishartley72
    I was paying £75 a month, switched to a meter, now paying £25, not really changed any habits, 2 adults, 2 teenagers, I would advise anybody to get one, if it doesn't work out cheaper you can switch back, so a no-brainer for me 
    foo.bar
    makes sense doesnt it. Until water company decides to up the charges.
    TristanDeCoonha
    Rig up a water butt, fed from the guttering, outside your toilet. Run a hose from the permanently on tap through the wall to a 2 into 1 connector that feeds the cistern. When your butt is empty, you switch back to the mains.
    Save your shower and washing machine water for loo flushing.
    If you have the room, install a urinal, that would be flushed with a jug from the bucket alongside.

I can only do 1 of 3 as I live in a rented flat, but my bills are around £7.50 monthly. Can't seem to get them any lower
    golfie
    I shower at the gym to save heating and water.
    Sho_Nuff
    I shower at my neighbour Jim's to save heating and water. He doesn't know. I climb in the window when he goes to work every day.
    foo.bar
    How about not having water meter?!
    chrishartley72
    Strange question, nobody is forcing you
    Anthonis
    Reduce, reduce, reduce, savings, savings etc..... What a load of rubbish, people and especially younger generation are so brainwashed these days that soon you all will have to use drop of water a month with £100 bill for it! People need to wake up once and for all. No matter how much you will save charges will only grow because you allow it! Whilst we are in this living cost crisis I haven't seen those energy and water suppliers being out of pockets! In fact they make record profits because for giving less they can charge more!!!! Instead of watching news people need to learn how to read financial reports.
    Businesses are closing down one after another as can't afford run up costs, so how do we expect households to survive. I bet soon you all will pay just for breathing and after price increase learn how to save on that too
    It's all great to have these water saving system, but lets not forget it comes with many risks which many owners even not aware of. Same companies we pay megabuck pollute our rivers and cant even supply quality water to households and yet we still happy to pay even more.....
    Grizzlyy
    True. These same water companies lose over 2 BILLION litres of water a day due to leaks...
    Joe90_guy
    Take the contents of your toilet, dump it straight in a nearby river & cut out the middleman that is your water company.
    Zee_ZeeKPb
    Lol, your sewage needs to be treated before being dumped back into the river.
    Unsane
    Fortunately we don't have a water meter and annual bill is reasonable compared to our previous abode which was metered. Never again.
    iAmLegend_94
    So does that mean you have unlimited water at your agreed monthly cost then ???
    I didn't know anything else was available apart from paying for what you use... like with gas & electric
    bozo007
    Note that in some areas like London and the South East, the installation of a meter is no longer a choice. A meter helped me personally with the bill dropping by over 50%. It may go the other way for large household.
    whats_the_deal
    Rather than running the tap and wasting water, attach miniature buckets under your eyeballs and use your tears to brush your teeth. (edited)
    JustaSingh
    Wish I could get a discount for the money I have to spend on water filters to make my tap water drinkable. Mine is Severn Trent and it smells like weak bleach most of the time. I can't be alone as Brita etc seem to be doing well in the shops.

Tap water so full of goodness, you have treat it before putting it in fish tanks or ponds (yes I have a pond, and find it curious that the amount of chloramine is deemed dangerous (well will kill them) for fish yet ok human consumption )
    julieelson
    I'm in West Sussex and have the same problem. Been using a jug water filter for the last year. I took a sip of tap water last night and gagged. I really notice the difference now. Like you say, it tastes like mild bleach, disgusting
    Smiler2
    I switched to a water meter as there is only 2 of us & we went from £45 per month to £20 per month we each shower daily wash up 3 times a day & use washing machine 3 or 4 times a week. In my old house I was paying over £500 a year & that was 10 yrs ago I think you only benefit if there are 3 or less in a household.
    Paul_f1
    I wash my clothes and myself in the local river,I have to do this because water companies are a rip off and they won't lower the prices
    Just.Wondering
    I only bath / shower on my birthday, as a tight fisted Yorkshire man, I thank God everyday for me been born on the 29th of February.
    deal_grabber
    Amazing to read what the UK has become..
    Forums discussing how to save water bills!
    teabag36
    fill a bottle with water and stick it in your toilet cistern the average flush is say 6 litre 4 litre is plenty unless you have an elephant living with you.
    Anonymous User
    Tip tip never get a water meter.Wouldnt have one installed and pay £23 a month for a family of 4.
    antf83
    Drink public water then wash clothes with urine at home in a bowl. It's warm water at then end of the day
    thehoneymunster
    I have a bath every morning, sometimes in the evening too. As does my other half, never use the same water though.
    whats_the_deal
    I usually drop a log every morning, sometimes in the evening too, but never in the bath.
    whats_the_deal
    Drink your own urine - not only do you save on flushing the loo, you save on running the tap too!
    Blackgang
    Why is this thread here? Propaganda for the water companies. Nationalise strategic assets.
    FrugalFergal
    Sllly question I know but Ive moved into a new flat with a dripping tap. In no good at DIY but would I have to open it up to remove the limescale from the washers? Ive only seen a few Youtube videos. Has anyone got any advice?
    Unsane
    You could try to plumb into your neighbours' supply.
    Arvind0007
    I used to pay a fix amount of water of around £250 per year. Thames water forced us to I stall a meter. My bill is now around £850 per year. Insane! I reported it to Thames water. All they said is I am paying for my consumption. Don't go for meter !
    themallrat
    It all depends on your usage. We've just moved into a new home and were told the yearly charge would be around £1050. When we asked what it would be with a meter they said we should be able to cut the cost in half as a minimum and maybe even get it less.

We weren't even paying anywhere near £500 at our old house which was larger so should end up saving us quite a bit using a meter.
    Daaker33
    Think £31 extra a year for fresh clean water delivered to my taps ain't half bad tbf. That's an extra £2-3 a month. Let's concentrate on the gas and electricity that has gone up quadruple eh.....
    Niall_Fawcett
    Tip 1: Live in NI
's avatar
Top Merchants