How many people have had a notification from Plusnet Mobile to say they are closing?

Posted 28th May 2023
Plusnet doesn't seem to think letting people know they are closing is important. I have read all the information online but have had nothing from them regarding this!
I received an email this morning regarding my year SIM plan coming to an end next month and the best offer they could do just for me was £24.99 for 25gb ( I currently pay £11.43-was £10).
I just wondered how many other people they have failed to inform?!
Community Updates
Dan_82
Plusnet Mobile is joining forces with EE, the UK’s best network

We’re making changes to our mobile services, so we’re no longer offering Plusnet SIM only plans.

The great news is existing and new customers can now access the best EE mobile deals with all the great benefits from the UK’s number one network.

What will happen to my Plusnet Mobile service?

Your existing plan will continue for now so no need to worry about loss of service. Our mobile services will be closing over the coming months, so you will need to switch to another provider in the future.

Can I keep my mobile number?

You sure can. To keep your number, you’ll need a PAC code. Your PAC code allows you to transfer to your number to EE or another new provider. Text PAC to 65075 and you’ll get your code in less than a minute. Just add your PAC code as part of your order. It’s as easy as that.

Will I have to pay an early termination fee?

You can switch your service to EE or move to another provider today. No need to wait until your contract ends as we won’t charge you a cancellation fee.

To find out details about your contract and any other outstanding payments:

• Text INFO to 85075
  • Call us for free on 500 from your Plusnet mobile
  • Call 0800 079 1133 from any other phone

What are my switching options? Here’s some information to help with your options:

You can switch your mobile service to EE

We’ve loved having you with us and moving your service to EE means you’ll still be part of our big mobile family. It’s easy to switch and we’ll be with you every step of the way.

EE are the UK's best network, so you'll also able to take advantage of all their great benefits and features.

It gets even better! To say thanks for switching, you'll get exclusive and amazing value EE SIM only deals and they’re only available to Plusnet Mobile customers.

It’s really easy to switch and you can take your existing mobile number with you too.

Start your switch and unlock your EE SIM only deals.

Or just give us a call on 0800 079 1133 and we’ll help you get sorted.

If you don’t want to move to EE

If you don’t want to move your mobile service to EE, you can choose to move to another provider, free of charge. No pressure, simple as that.

To find out details about your contract and any other outstanding payments:

• Text INFO to 85075
  • Call us for free on 500 from your Plusnet mobile
  • Call 0800 079 1133 from any other phone

Until you leave, you'll be billed as normal. After this, we'll cancel your service and stop billing you.

Looking for a sim only deal/offer?

You can find the best, and most popular, sim only offers on-site here

What’s happening with Plusnet Broadband?

There’s no changes to Plusnet Broadband. You’ll continue to get the same great award-winning packages and customer support as part of your service. If you’re already with us, you can manage your service, check your bills and access exclusive deals in your Plusnet Broadband Account.
Ask
New Comment

104 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Muig1972
    In case any Plusnet broadband customers got a scare there- don't worry it's just the mobile part that's closing, not broadband and home phone.

moneysavingexpert.com/new…ch/
    tardytortoise
    Yes, PLUSNET is not closing (not as yet anyway)
    They are getting out of the mobile business.
    AFAIK PLUSNET is a subsidiary of BT so they are deferring to the likes of EE (also part of BT) to do the mobile business.
    There have been a few unsubstantiated rumours that BT will swallow up PLUSNET broadband business - just a matter of keeping eyes and ears open to broadband/tech news.
    mutley1
    i assume that plusnet customers will be offered transfer to BT or EE when their contract comes to an end?
    KodaBear
    Plusnet customers, even if in contract are being offered to switch right now to EE with exclusive discounts (Though it will still be more expensive than Plusnet pricing). If a customer does nothing they will ultimately be given a PAC code and service will end alongside the 3G Switch off in the coming months.
    Raikoh
    I kinda guessed they were going to eventually close, I logged on to their website yesterday and seen they were pushing me to move to EE and giving me a few EE deals too.
    £8 - 5gb +calls/text
    £10 - 10gb +calls/text
    £12 - 20gb + calls/text
    £15 - 125gb +calls/text.
    all of which are 30day rolling contracts and are capped at "100mbps" download speeds on 5g.
    PS5
    They have emailed you...

"Over time we will be contacting existing customers directly to let them know what this change means for them."

The emails are staggered, presumably to avoid an overload of enquiries that they wouldn't be able to satisfy in one hit..

I don't see where the problem is tbh. (edited)
    INEEDPYTHONPLZ
    Listen EE is rubbish as once when I asked a police officer what do you use and he said Vodaphone due to its reliability and coverage they are also good abroad including outside of Europe personally I found a subsidiary that they have called talkmobile 100GB for £13
    KodaBear
    The UK Police, and all other emergency services are ESN now - A prioritised version of EE's 4G Network. The biggest, fastest, and most reliable network in the UK.

That's not to say Vodafone/Talkmobile is bad. But EE has won awards as the UK's best network for the last 9 and a half years now from independent testing. They are definitely not rubbish as you claim.
    sion22
    anyone offer deal similar to £6 a month, 4gb ?
    KodaBear
    Lyca via MSE will do 99p a month for the first 6 months then £5.90 thereafter for 5GB. They use the o2 network. No contract.

TalkMobile is owned by Vodafone and will do 4GB for £4.95 a month with a 30 day rolling contract.

Smarty is owned by Three and will do 4GB for £5 with no contract.

Now Mobile use EE the same as Plusnet but with 5G included and will give you 4GB for £5 with a 30 day rolling agreement.

Basically just a case of picking which network you would like to use and then sign up with the correct provider to match from above.
    StevenBrown
    They havent contacted me yet. I have 4 sims for me and the family, the new deals look like I will have to pay extra.
    Time to shop around I think
    t3r4
    Depends on your usage and signal requirements. Also EU roaming, watch out EE deals would make you lose that. Lebara is excellent but others may be better suited for more data.
    caevv
    Is roaming free on EE? I see conflicts information.
    KodaBear
    Nope you pay per day or can buy a roaming pass to save if you travel for longer or more regularly.

When it comes to contract renewal you can negotiate a free roaming pass as part of your future contracts though.
    misterboumsong
    I know John Lewis broadband is closing and customers are being shepherded towards Plusnet broadband.
    steve1221
    I had nothing from them and none of the other 4 people in the family have either. I wouldn't know anything if I didn't read MSE!
    dealpickle
    Yeah, exactly this. Heard zip from Plusnet, first i heard was from MSE. Really poor, i used to have a good opinion of Plusnet, clearly it's now levelling down to BT standards.
    KodaBear
    The communication is being sent out in waves. For now, nothing is immediately changing for existing customers. People can keep going until their contract ends, or until the 3G network closure gets well underway. Everyone will hear more as the date gets closer.

In the meantime you are welcome to leave now to a network of your choice, or upgrade to EE with a special discount for doing so.
    Ornatas
    The damage is that if the network closes and ppl haven't changed over to another service: they will lose their mobile number.
    margamboy
    The Big Boys are tightening their grip on the markets, Virgin are going to be o2 soon and now Plusnet to EE, same with the energy providers only really have a choice of the big 6 again and a few smaller outfits but nowhere near the choice and prices of a few years ago, unlikely to see those days again, looking forward to more expensive services in future with less competition as more mergers / take overs happen.
    deanos
    I'm paying £1.13 from a deal on here for the last 5 or so years , started at £1 , seems this is gonna end , just looked at the deals if I switch to EE and they are crap

plus.net/mobile (edited)
    KodaBear
    Could you give some examples of the deals they are trying to tempt you with please? I'm curious how much of a discount from EE Full price they have.
    Majnu
    I heard their mobile division is migrating to 1p Mobile but don't know about their other services like broadband/phone etc
    thatscheap
    PLUSNOT
    joanddan7
    I thought plusnet was honest northern broadband got honest normal people?!?
    they are owned by BT?

you mean people lie in adverts?!?
    bob-mk2
    To be fair to Plusnet, they did actually have call centres oop north and they were staffed by northerners who actually knew what they talking about and had the power to help. Friendly, too.

I stuck with them purely because of the customer service.

Something tells me that I won't be getting that with the other phone companies who farm it out as cheaply as possible and, ironically, have such terrible call quality that I can hardly hear them.
    thepostie
    Not had anything as yet. We have two plusnet mobile sims which are both out of contract and less than £10 a month.
    Anon32
    deanos
    11 h, 0 m ago
    I'm paying £1.13 from a deal on here for the last 5 or so years , started at £1 , seems this is gonna end , just looked at the deals if I switch to EE and they are crap
    Yeah they’re not transferring the £1 a month deal now £1.13. I got rid of mine when I went to Sky and now it’s back at £1 a month. Rwg, now or talkhome mobile do cheap deals if you need EE. For a deal that was meant to be a mistake and only last 6 months it lasted a long time. 

dealpickle
    I'm on that deal too, i'd forgotten it was a mistake that got honoured! Saved me a fair few bob...
    daydreamer44
    I got no email yet (edited)
    acm20001
    10Gb for £10 is what they offered me.
    Juanpablo
    You can get 100gb vodafone sim only for £8.00 a month (£16.00 before cashback) just go through reseller sites such as mobiles.co.uk etc. For only £22 a month you can get vodafone 33gb data with a brand new pixel 7a included.! EE charges are way too expensive as are BT compared to what is available. Just avoid going direct to provider
    cykb
    2 lines, 0 contact
    tomba
    Nothing heard
    I've been with them through the £1.00 deal posted here (now £1.13). Got my money's worth but service has been a little erratic E / 2G / 3G mixture. Still...sad to see the end of it I'll have to look for another very cheap deal....as long as I can PAC my number, of course!
    jimbo23
    Moi

50276882-bxJ9t.jpg (edited)
    thatscheap
    Tup Northety,

Just stick on a brew (edited)
    gummby
    Oooh this is sad. Switched from their mobile a while back but if their broadband goes to BT that might be expensive. Maybe just replace Plusnet brand with EE for everyone.
    Bully-Maguire
    Had an email about 2/3 weeks ago. All of us (5) had one.
    rayman1970
    No contact from them to offer any deals yet
    EAH1
    Had no letters or emails, I found out as I wondered why I couldn't change my plan via the app so went online to see the news there.

Not very professional.
    FIREAT40
    no contact from Plusnet mobile. I have been with them for 6 years
    DigitalKnight
    So the only option for customers is to switch from the cheapest provider to the most expensive one!! Typical so glad I stayed with Sky mobile now!
    Rellik088
    Plusnet are by far the worst company I've dealt with for communication so I'm not surprised. I still remember signing up for their broadband, taking my money, getting a switchover date and then they sent me nothing and ignored me. Took forever to cancel and get my money back.
    regcar
    I challenge this. Try renewing with TalkTalk!
    Very difficult to hear what they are saying as line quality is usually rubbish. Always ask for cancellations department, and ask to terminate contract before any sensible offer. Takes about 80 minutes on average. I usually just put phone down, have a break and wait for them to call me back. Mention of complaint to OFCOM helps if speaking to someone who has heard of OFCOM. I am very mean, and only use TalkTalk as price is OK after a long haggle. Wonder why I bother.
    nbuuifx
    Both my kids have Plusnet Sims and I had a message about both coming to an end.

I'm probably going to move them to EE, as I'd been thinking of doing this anyway.

For whatever reason when 5G came out the signal became worse in our house. O2, vodaphone and EE are all affected. You have to stand in the window to get a decent phone signal. Me and my wife are unaffected as EE uses voice over WiFi, but Plusnet didn't offer this, so the kids were affected.

We were paying £8 on one deal for 9GB and £7.49 on the other for 4GB. (The 9GB one often runs out, the 4GB one has never used more than 2GB)

So, the move to EE will cost an extra 51p, but it will give vo-wifi and I'm hoping it will also allow me to gift data like I do to my wife's account.

Can anyone confirm that I will be able to add these to the same account when I transfer them, so that I can gift? I have a large data plan with plenty left over to gift.
    KodaBear
    Unfortunately I don’t think they will be associated with existing accounts. These offers for Plusnet customers are supposed to be one-time new customer offers so will be set up as their own standalone accounts.

If you were hoping on data gifting being the answer then maybe reconsider and see if you can find some other deals that come with enough data in their own right.

There’s some virtual networks that piggyback on EE that now have technology like 5G, VoLTE and WiFi calling. And there’s other options like TalkMobile who are owned by Vodafone who have good prices on USwitch who offer all the features like WiFi calling and 5G too but with considerably more data for a lower price than EE on the same 30 day rolling contracts.
    Siilver
    zero information from them. seen martin lewis have something up about it. so checked their website and seen it. checked out the ee offers. so will go elsewhere now
    ChildofChaos
    What the…. !?

thought this was going to be about price rises? Have heard absolutely nothing from Plusnet, they emailed me yesterday about some contract things.

seems to me like a cash grab, wanting to get these customers on EE for real rather than being on EE but paying less. They are spinning this as being good as you get the benefit of EE’s network, which is always what you had anyway.

EE is the best network, as everyone knows, but also the most expensive. The only thing I don’t like about EE is it seems to work far worse in crowded areas, if you are at a gig etc, you can get signal but nothing goes through, much worse than other networks for that.

hmm guess I am going to have to find another EE provider when they decide to send an email. (edited)
    KodaBear
    How much data do you need and I'll help you find the best option to switch to.

Even though Plusnet Mobile is still up and running right now, you'll start to notice a deterioration of signal coverage shortly as the 3G Switch off pilot is beginning in about 6 weeks time. Mostly localised to the Warrington area at first but others are being tried out too.

Even if you usually have 4G signal, remember that on Plusnet there's no 4G calling so you rely on 3G still every time you call or text. Hence the benefit of moving sooner tather than later.
    paperdragon
    Is this the company that guaranteed to keep its call centres UK based?
    PTesq
    It's worth calling Plusnet directly as the offers are actually cheaper than advertised on the website.

I haven't had any contact from Plusnet and only found out when looking at mobile deals for my neighbour. I went through the very convoluted process of accessing the offers, tried to take out the £8 deal, only to get an error at the payment stage.
    EE's online help had no idea about the special offers, but I did manage to save £10 on my home broadband, so it wasn't a total waste of time.
    I phoned plusnet on 0800 432 0200 this morning (0800 079 1133 didn't work) and was told that it would be £6 rather than £8.
    bob-mk2
    50281825-bUPZ0.jpg
    Guess O2 doesn't want my business.
    misterboumsong
    o2 doesnt want your business
    squiby
    I found out from the weekly money saving expert email not plus net. Their website doesnt even have a immediately obvious banner to make anyone aware.
    John_Tapley
    I have. Just asked for my PAC code to port to another supplier.
    AzeemB
    I am currently paying £9.15 for 17GB
    it was £8 (before April)

The ee amounts offered to me are the same as everyone else.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants