Moving from US to UK with dog

Posted 26th Jun 2023
My partner is living in New York and we're trying to get her moved to the UK. Problem is - she has got a dog. We have looked at the Cunard cruises (which allow pets) but they're fully booked up until 2025, so that sucks.

She does not, under any circumstances want her dog to go in cargo. Unfortunately, UK airlines do not permit dogs in the cabin.

So we've been looking at the possibility of her flying to France (as I believe some airlines in France allow the dog in a cabin), but then we're wondering how we get a dog from France to the UK without a European Dog Passport (because the Dog is not European, obviously it's American with an American Health Certificate).

Can anyone help? I'm at the point where I'm losing sleep trying to figure out how to do this.
Community Updates
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Author
    Thanks - that's quite useful. Kinda what I was looking for. That might just work!
    I'm very relieved to hear they don't allow dogs to fly in the cabin.
    Dogs on a Plane is an unexpected sequel
    Are you sure your partner actually wants to come to the UK?

Cargo & quarantine or pet passport is the way you do it.

How does she feel about quarantine itself? (edited)
    Might be worth asking on an expat forum
    Author
    Thanks I might have to do that, but the link posted above might be enough to give me an idea on how to do it
    we looked into flying our dog abroad from the UK and found that airlines do not allow dogs in the cabin. in europe some airlines will allow dogs in the cabin but only very small ones, like a scottie, and our dog is labrador.

it won't be easy to get the dog over from the US and it will probably have to go into quanrantine. we looked at some airlines that transport pets, where the pet is in the cabin as they only fly pets and not people, and the cost was something like £5k to fly our dog from the UK to spain, one way, so it is very expensive. and we can't go on the plane as it is only for animals. (edited)
    I believe some airlines allow dogs in cabins as long as they are a certified support dog ?
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants