National insurance contributions

Posted 29th Mar 2023
Has anyone got experience of paying gaps in NI contributions. I've got a few years missing due to illness and was wondering if it's worth paying. Have been previously told that sometimes it's not worth it.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Why_so_serious
    That's the thing a lot of people don't understand.
    You get your max pension with 35 years contributions.
    Any additional years don't count towards pension.
    So if you're missing 4 years and you still have enough years until retirement to max out that 35 year requirement then it's pointless paying for missed years.
    On a side note if you have a partner and child(ren) and one of you isn't working then the child benefit (if eligible) should be in the non working parents name as they get automatic insurance credits. (edited)
    Willy_Wonka
    Go on Martin Lewis moneysavingexpert.com

He did a few programs on it. As I am sure you will know already. It is also time dependent.
    bigwheels
    As above its all about 35 years worth in total.
    Reach that before you retire and you won’t need to top up.
    Im thinking of trying to only get 34 years, then pension credit kicks in.
    Will give you cheaper, council tax, rent if council property etc. Depending on savings that is.
    The other side of this is to register as self employed, then it’s only £180 for a full year.
    smoose89
    How many years are you missing? Probably best to think about when your likely to retire and if you think you will max it without paying into it
    blueyes74 Author
    I've got 4 years missing going back to 2013 it's still allowing me to pay. I'm 18 years off pension age. In total I've got 8 years missing.
    Amo42
    You can pay back up to 6 year NI under Class 1 which is around £850, however if you still have time to contribute and you will be working then watch out if you can complete 35 year which should get you the full pension.
    TristanDeCoonha
    At the moment that is incorrect info.
    You can currently pay back until 2006. This is a one off event. You also have an extension in which to pay it. So it is not due by 04 April, but sometime around June.
    After that date it becomes a rigid 6 year policy.
    I only know this because I have several missing and couldn't believe my luck.
    targetbsp
    You can use this website to calculate if you need to: gov.uk/che…ion
    I've missed a few years myself but it still says if I work 12 of the next 24 years, I'll max it. (edited)
    tardytortoise
    if you claimed some benefits at the time of your sickness you should have received NI credits.
    blueyes74 Author
    Claimed for about 3 months but they signed me off as they said I missed a sign on appt. I got shingles so rebooked, giving them 8 days notice before my appt date. Signed on once I was well and within a few days I got a letter telling me I'd had my benefits cancelled. Never challenged it as I'd had enough. Job centre is the most soul destroying place I've ever been :/
    Ouzoherb
    Most likely worth it but can be cheaper to be self employed and pay the ni that way if you no longer work.
    blueyes74 Author
    Great idea. I don't claim any benefits and have no plans to work for the foreseeable so self employed could be great. Would save me a few thousand
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants