Out of date sweets

Posted 7th Jul 2021
Over the last few weeks I’ve noticed my local corner shops have out of date sweets or snacks. I realise when I get home. This happened in two different shops and one being a post office.
Are shops allowed to sell out of dates sweets/crisps? Is there any law behind this
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

Categories

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    ANDYwwww987
    Best before they can sell but they need to make you aware of it and generally reduced as well.

Use by not allowed to sell after date.
    aLV426
    In the UK it's completely legal for shops to sell food past the best before date.
    Use by dates are about food safety, it's illegal for shops to sell any food that has passed this date.
    AMaky
    Post office is not a shop for starters.
    They are selling past Best before not out of date items.
    They can, think of approved food place, most of their items are past best before.
    malnuman
    When places like farmfoods have real cheap choc/sweets on sale, often close to sell by dates I often see people putting full boxes in their trollies, I always presume it's shop owners looking to sell them on at full price so I'm not surprised by your post
    nydare
    malnuman07/07/2021 17:46

When places like farmfoods have real cheap choc/sweets on sale, often …When places like farmfoods have real cheap choc/sweets on sale, often close to sell by dates I often see people putting full boxes in their trollies, I always presume it's shop owners looking to sell them on at full price so I'm not surprised by your post

Nope I just buy to eat the whole lot my self 🐖🐷
    Xippi
    Probably a genuine mistake.

Trading standards would be interested if somewhere was selling best before past date stock as in date. Naughty.

Different with Use by - potentially dangerous if expired. Very naughty

Yellow sticker rules:

Best before.....go back for more
    Use by............prepare to die
    tardytortoise
    Are shops allowed to sell out of dates sweets/crisps? Perhaps they don't sell them? They are merely on display and someone comes along and buys them as clearly people are allowed to buy out of dates sweets/crisps.

Its a serious matter 'cos if I wanted to get a shop into trouble I could easily put some out of date stuff on their shelves
    LemonHead
    It's generally fine to eat sweets past their expiration date, though the quality and texture will decline after a certain point.

If you're also seeing cracks or dots on the surface of any chocolate you purchase, odds are it's dried out quite a bit since its days as fresh chocolate, and has gone stale, tends to taste unpalatable though shouldn't do you any harm. If there's mold on the chocolate however, throw it away immediately. However, if it looks like regular chocolate, it will almost definitely taste like chocolate.

Also, when the cocoa butter fats in chocolate separate from the cocoa mass and rise to the surface, it results in what's called "fat bloom." While not the most attractive thing to see on chocolate, fat bloom is actually usually safe to eat.

Sugar also acts as a preservative, so generally speaking I wouldn't concern yourself too much. (edited)
    2004ns Author
    ANDYwwww98707/07/2021 16:53

Best before they can sell but they need to make you aware of it and …Best before they can sell but they need to make you aware of it and generally reduced as well.Use by not allowed to sell after date.

It’s best before. They didn’t have any reduced sticker. It was triple the price than in Tesco.

I’m just going to be extra careful and always look at the dates in these shops. I wish I never picked the sweets but they were just staring at me and I got them lol
    jheslop1
    LOLOLOLOLOL.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants