PC advice (for my dad)

Posted 15th Jan 2023
Hi everyone - My dad spends a LOT of time on Train Sim Classic. store.steampowered.com/app…ic/

However - (if you'll pardon the pun) the game chugs along on his PC - I think specs as follows (its around 2013 vintage):
  • - Intel® Core™ i7 i7-4770 3.4 GHz
  • - 12 GB DDR3-SDRAM 1600 MHz
  • - 2000 GB HDD
  • - NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 645 1 GB
  • - Windows 8 64-bit

Now - this PC is slooooooow. Partly due to age, partly because no SSD, and being honest - he does not know how to maintain it. It was pretty high end when he first got it.
He wants a new pc for Train sim classic to fly, and also (future thinking) possibly for a good experience with Train sim world 3 in time if he gets that.

Train sim world 3 (being the newer game) has 'recommended' specs as follows:
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K @ 3.9 GHz or AMD Ryzen 5 5600X @ 3.7 GHz
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 or AMD Radeon RX 6800 with 8 GB VRAM or more
  • DirectX: Version 10

Now - Can someone recommend a good no nonsense pre-built PC that will meet these specs, but preferably in a discreet 'non-rgb' case? being nearly 80, he doesnt suit or want a showy case. Budget is around £1000, but flexible ish

Also - Can someone advise - Train sim classic - it says
  • OS: 32- or 64-bit Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 8.1 or 10 Required (Other OS versions and types are not supported) Does this mean that it will not work with Windows 11, or has the steam page not been updated? Is this a concern or not - bear minimum any replacement system will HAVE to run train sim classic.

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
New Comment

34 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Sorry just saw this thread. I used to work for Dovetail Games as their customer support team so if you have any issues running the game on the new PC feel free to reach out
    Author
    Thanks buddy - Can you just confirm that Train Sim Classic will (or should) run on Windows 11?
    Do you have any recommendations on a system that would run this game at max settings at 1440p?
    Do you know if there are any plans to bring the DLC for train sim classic to train sim world 3?
    If not - will there be 'steam trains' coming to train sim world 3 in future DLC?

No worries if you don't know - any insight is appriciated
    Train SIM world 3 will run perfectly on his existing PC, if you can change the graphics card (a second hand Radeon rx 570 / 580 or Geforce 1060 / 1660 would be perfect for £50-100).

Obviously he also needs an SSD.

Total spend £70?

The CPU he has (i7 4770) is perfect for the game - not much improvement since 2013 for this sort of game.
    Author
    Thanks - I'd give it a go myself - but worried about mucking it up - I could probably muddle through that as a hobby PC - but it's not mine, and I'd hate to loose anything. I'll discuss it with my dad. Maybe we could find someone locally to help?
    Not that I'm into PC's myself but spending £1k on a PC to play just one game does seem excessive to me? Anyone else?
    Author
    Fair play. In his defence, he does other things on it too besides that game, and the whole system is super slow - so an upgrade would help everything else. My knowledge stops short of knowing how to speed it up. I know he needs and SSD, a better GPU (a mid range one may suffice) and a clean install of Windows 10/11

If it were MY computer, I'd get stuck in and learn on the job, but I don't want to muck it up, as I'd feel awful

Also a 'good' new system would future proof for a longer period is the thinking? Do you have a suggestion for something good, but cheaper? (edited)
    To hit them R/Specs you will be looking at around £1000.00 +

I don't get the required state specs on this one being 3070/11600K.
    - there is a fair argument I could go into that with GPU/CPUs so close.

# What the blue moon is wrong with 6750XT 3060Ti for example?

The Palicomp hellfire does feature 12400F / RTX3070TI / 16GB / 1TB / Windows at £1000.00
    - I would spend another £40 and add a BQ Cooler, don't need out to overkill. 3rd part cooler will tick the box just nice.

# So that hits the J..... 12400F = 11600K(-) =5600(+)

#AWD-IT did have a fantastic 6800....... which had a range of CPUs on Ryzen but has sold out.

ALTS:

I see no harm in a 3060Ti here or 6750XT or 11400F and 100% 5600 by AMD so on that note.

5600 +3060Ti + 16GB 3200mhz + 750W Bronze + Lian mid case + B550m + 1Tb nvme gen3 885
    5600 +3060Ti White + 16GB 3200mhz + 750W Bronze + Lian MID OR MATX case white + B550m wifi + 1Tb nvme gen3 £914
    5600 + 6750XT - 16GB 3200mhz + 750W Gold + MSI Mesh(not the one in the picture) + B550m + 1TB nvme gen 3 £914.65
    11400F + 3070Ti - 16GB 3200mhz - 750W Bronze - MSI Mesh(piccy correct + B560m + 1TB nvme gen3 £1044.97
    5600 + 6800XT + 16GB 3200mhz +750W Gold + Cm Case(others on site) + B550M(atx on site) + 1TB nvme £1145
    11400F+3060Ti + 16GB 3200mhz +650W Bronze +Awd case(others on site + B560 + 1TB + windows 10 £894.00

The palicomp has a good balance. you have that newer generation of intel on the ones we are speaking over.
    with a cracking balance of performance with RTX3070, Gen4Storage, and windows software loaded with its license.

AWD-IT has brought some right good contenders to challenge palicomp dominance. ( I've been pestering them)

They brought the AMD's just the right time when the market was a little "I hate Nvidia with the new stock 4000Series"

The 6750XT as the undercut was nice, with a little less performance compared to the 3070 but lacks Nvidia features as a dev and RT but a lot of the market didn't care about it. and u can boost up the CPU from 5600 to 5700X for whoever needs a bit more CPU power, or keep it to 5600 and save cash, does not have windows but that is easy enough to put a code in.

Then they came out with the 6800 version. but has sold out. obvious that still lacked the Nvidia advantage but raw power was fantastic over the 3070, not by much but enough to swing the tide.

and then just recently we have its big brother the 6800XT, which is more compared to a 3080 without Nvidia, not have as much performance in raw power as the 3080, but the market wise has much more value to performance. so that's doing well, but again it's not much more for a 4070ti that's way over 1k budget, and I thought I'd just mention the 6800xt for a convo while I'm at it.

AWD then bought the Nvidia, but to keep cost down to challenge they got a nice price on 3070Ti and did them over the previous 11400F, I don't see any issue with 11400F for yourself, u do have ti model at £44 more than pali basic, obvious lacks windows but again to most its not winner chicken dinner, and the setting lacks gen4, again something not missed by a lot. -CPU +gpu vs the palicomp there isn't much to and from in both situations but u got that choice.

then again u have the new 3060Ti deals, the matx version at -£30 less than £885 sold out on the case so it's the mid only at £885. u lack windows, not selected gen4 (u do have the option on all but price on gen3 at AWD is superb) its a nice undercut, u can call to ask for the 5700x that I've managed to get in the others, - I've asked but its selling extreme well on the 5600 due to the price theme so I don't feel they listen to me too quick, and then u have the white version which has the higher board, price is the same now with the larger case which takes into the price of the white theme matx case and white GPU, and if u desire the larger case its the same price in the matx white. so it's just the cost dif on board and GOLD PSU.

and then I've just done the 3060Ti intel 11400F again I see no issue with 11400F tbh and this is one AWD one which does have windows with a LIC if it makes difference, otherwise, head for the 5600 version. there is a 11600K in the 11400F ones at £99.
    I don't see the value to performance in that jump at all.

so it comes down to:

Nvidia pref or AMD.
    don't be too judgemental on the reco specs they suggest when u have such a close range of GPUs. 6750xt / 3060ti will be sweet.

if u do go for the undercut, u can use the cash to Tweak ram to 32 GB at £40 more at AWD. they have a corsair offer at +39.99 in the settings now. (edited)
    Author
    Wow. A lot to digest there . Will take a look in the morning with a clear head. I'm not overly sold on recommended specs, just something that will run the game 'well' at 1440p. Whatever he ends up getting will be a massive step up, so I don't think he'd notice

Many thanks once again for your advice. It's soooo helpful (edited)
    i just reply to the other comment as I saw 1440 after which I said wasn't to hard to presume.

3070 will offer high FPS, but u need to understand it costs more. yes palicomp does throw in some nice hav's windows n gen4.
    but on AWD rather than get them u can swing a 3060Ti into 5700X 32gb which might interest another interest.

so I've done the deal side for u, but u need to go and understand what this means as such in performance.

stock atm is fair on this atm, so time for good research,

so id use the palicomp 3070 as the center gate with the BQ as I mention. try n find the reason why u would not and see if the others would benefit u. so cross ref them all against pali's.
    Sarden posts some great deals - like this one hotukdeals.com/dea…886

Slightly over budget but worth taking a look.
    I would recommend looking at Dells web site - even their refurb, you don't need an SSD it won't speed up the gameplay, however it's almost rude to not have one these days considering how cheap they are!
    Oh and don't forget if you want to game at 1440p - you'll not only need a capable CPU & GPU, you'll also need a monitor that supports that resolution!
    You used to be able to type 'msconfig' into Search and it would show a screen with tabs and you could check what programs were firing up at Start and disable memory hungry ones running in the background to speed things up. HTH
    Author
    Thanks buddy will do that - He was given the chance to upgrade to windows 10 for free, but hesitated - that was a shame - I wish he'd told me.
    Omg get a bloody ssd in that machine for starters. Run a cleanup of his system and remove any garbage and unnecessary programs running at startup or in the background.

I assume it's still on windows 8 because of the game. Have you looked online if it will still run under Windows 10 as is or run it in compatability mode or via a VM.
    Author
    Apparently the game should work fine under Windows 10/11. I'm desperate to get an SSD in that machine too - It's literally screaming at me to do it.

Do you have any links to a helpful 'how to guide' to de-clutter a PC? or what software I may use - I've not owned a PC in over 10 years - I used to use CCleaner - but that gets mixed reviews? Advice appriciated.
    Replace the graphics card, replace the hdd with an ssd, and install a fresh OS.
    The rest is fine...
    System requirements are largely just what the game was tested on at release, they rarely get updated. Unless there's big red text in the listing saying it won't work on Windows 11 then I wouldn't read anything into the system requirements not mentioning it, and check on other player's experiences.

I'm afraid his original PC wasn't remotely high end for this sort of use. While it's got an expensive CPU the GTX 645 was considered a pretty modest card, some would have said it didn't even qualify as mid-range.

It may be that the graphics card is the main limiting factor, although it's the sort of thing you'd have to know the program to judge.

In terms of a new system bear in mind that many developers use recommended specs as a guideline on how to get the best graphics rather than what you need to run the game well. It'd be financial suicide to make a game that only ran on £500+ graphics cards.
    Author
    Ah ok, that's useful info. Thank you.
    Buy him an Xbox and get him into Minecraft!
    [deleted]
    Author
    Ah Ok - That's useful to know. - What would you advise?
    Author
    I forgot to mention, hoping to run the game at 1440p if that makes any odds to someone's opinion
    obvious I've written the above before and tweaked it before u said this as I've seen this after.

but it wasn't a hard presume, as it would be an expectation of gaming TBH in this day in light of this respective budget.

so I've provided u with the links, with options for CPU and options for GPU.

my advice is to do some personal research, 

3060Ti -> 3070...... nice gains on 1440 obviously more bucks.
    u need to understand what Nvidia offers, how AMD comes up short, will u miss it.

so these are what u need to know to research.

Youtube is ur friend "Card Vs Card"

check what system under the tabs they are using, and see the difference with no CPU limits.

5600 vs 5700X "3060Ti" 
    6750xt vs 3070
    3070vs 3070ti 
    11400f vs 12400f

these are the terms, once u have an idea of how u would like ur money spent, then u can blend that into the deals I've mentioned. 
    Author
    I did suggest an Xbox Series S and Gamepass - because train sim world 3 is on it! problem is, He currently has SO much invested in 'classic' because of the DLC he's bought - And that's not on Xbox.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants