Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Plug Socket crackling noise.

deleted889234's avatar deleted889234 8
Posted 30th Mar 2018
Firstly, not an electrician so wouldn’t know a great deal but looking for some advice or anything that may help really.

Got a plug socket which has two sockets in and whenever I plug my PC monitor or tower into the plug, the switches at the wall won’t turn off, so I flick them off and it like springs back on but doesn’t do with with other plugs which is weird.

The plug socket has now started making a crackling noise when I plug my tower/monitor in and when turning the sockets on but again, doesn’t do it with a hoover plugged in. Not sure if maybe my PC is needing too much power or something.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Socket is knackered just requires replacing , does the tower plug do the same thing in any other socket if so then it may be the plug for the tower.
    I would replace the socket and cable. Only different between the vac and pc is that the vac won't have an earth. Out of the two the vac will draw the most from the socket.
    we had similar problem with our living room light switch, it was the switch that had become faulty so it had to be replaced. you will need to replace the socket.
    Swap the socket for a new one.
    Id stop using it for starters and put block connectors on the wires and remove the socket till it's replaced
    Not trying to scaremonger but a friend of mines house burnt down , fire brigade put it down to a faulty socket
    Luckily they were still awake wrapping Xmas presents
    Yeah, STOP USING NOW, tape over socket, to remind ALL not to use, get a competent person/sparky to replace ASAP..
    IF going down friendly sparky route, mention the PC tower concern...
    Be aware where replacement electrical consumer items are purchased from...
    Safety first
    Anonymous User Author
    darksideby18252 m ago

Socket is knackered just requires replacing , does the tower plug do the …Socket is knackered just requires replacing , does the tower plug do the same thing in any other socket if so then it may be the plug for the tower.

Nope, I’ve had my tower in my room at base and not had a problem. However, it isn’t buzzing now as Earth was in back box not front. Still, the plug switch when plugging tower or monitor plug in, flicks back on after turning it off which is strange. (edited)
    Anonymous User Author
    Will do, thanks all
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants