Post office receipt for false cash withdrawal!

Posted 1st Apr 2023
My local post office when I send birthday card to Canada gives receipt for cash withdrawal they ask me to insert debit card into card reader and enter pin! when I ask why they give incorrect receipt they make up excuses eg system error but are reluctant to give correct receipt for postage transaction. Anyone else has this happen to you? Should I be worried and report it to post office head office?
5954376491680307015.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

24 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    t3r4
    I wouldn't particularly worry as it won't impact on you, but it is poor behaviour by them.

Any store, including the post office, has to pay the banks/card companies when you use your card to pay. However, post offices actually get paid by your bank to do a cash withdrawal. This is likely your post office trying to make extra money by doing it that way round.

Most post offices are actually independent businesses hence they are trying to cream more profit.
    pateo Author
    That's what I assumed was going on, but just wanted to be sure no dodgy business. I was thinking of emailing post office head office to ask but don't want to cause any bother for owner of p.o. (edited)
    tardytortoise
    This is simply how the world now works.
    The first part of the receipt simply reports what you have bought and for how much.
    The second part records how you are paying for it. In your case you have inserted your Barcleys DEBIT card and so you are in effect taking money directly from your Barclays account and giving to the Post Office for the postage charge of the birthday card. In effect there are 2 transactions. One to take money from your bank account and two to then give that money to the post office. Which is why there is a zero balance.
    In one piece of paper you have both a receipt for your purchase and a statement from your bank of its transaction.
    Nothing to worry about, nothing to report and nothing untoward going on.
    I agree, it could be presented a little better, but there are no standards for this sort of thing.
    harrythefish
    There may a reason for this. For example of I ever go to change currency at the PO they insist I withdraw cash first then immediately change it. I asked why and there's some rule they have to stick to, that you can't purchase certain services by card.
    Sc4mp0
    It says International Standard Letter at the top and l'm guessing the Barclays part just shows the payment method,nothing wrong here. (edited)
    Gollywood
    Pay by cash
    pateo Author
    Didn't have cash on me! Point is what's going on, something shady
    psychobitchfromhell
    Where does it say cash withdrawal? Am I missing something? It says 1x standard letter £2.55. Nowhere does it say cash withdrawal. Sure it uses the term withdrawal, but it doesn't say cash withdrawal.
    pateo Author
    Sorry, on card reader it said cash withdrawal. Also on second part of receipt.
    49893332-Ayl0t.jpg
    sm9690
    Does your online banking show the transaction as a post office cash withdrawal or debit card transaction?
    pateo Author
    Nothing showing atm, update later!
    Mark_Hickman
    Looks as though they're withdrawing cash then paying for the service with cash to avoid some kind of charges because my receipts for postage via card do not come out like that normally (edited)
    pateo Author
    I'm glad someone else is thinking like me IE po trying to avoid charges or make cut for themselves. Only thing is if my birthday card to Canada goes missing I've got no proper receipt if needed to claim
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants