Pre-book train tickets - evening train can I get a train before or later

Posted 14th Jun 2023
I've pre-booked rail tickets from Cambridge to London. (return) departure time is at 8.02pm but I was wondering can I get a slightly earlier or later train? The likelihood of their being ticket inspectors is slim but I was wondering would QR codes work?
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I've travelled between Cambridge and London a lot and I've very rarely got on the same train as I initially "booked" and have never had an issue apart from mixups with peak travel times in the morning.

If you've booked split tickets to save a little bit of money, you may only be able to go on certain trains that stop at a particular station - sometimes you can save money with split tickets on this route if it's off-peak and stops at Letchworth.
    Author
    Do barriers still open even if you get there earlier for a later departure, ie a train before
    Why don't you try and tell us what happens?
    how do you know that the ticket inspector won't be on the train to scan the QR code? have you travelled on this route often enough to make that statement?

personally i wouldn't risk it.
    It depends on what type of ticket you have bought. There might or might not be restrictions according to 2 or 3 letter code printed on the ticket. You can use National Rail website to to find out about possible restrictions
    As long as you have a ticket I'm sure your be fine. I've booked certain timed trains and never had a problem. Only once did someone check my ticket out of 4 times and they were friendly and didn't seem to care that it was an earlier train.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants