Recommendations for cheapish laptop for web browsing / Youtube?

Posted 19th Mar 2023
I'm looking into a laptop for a senior; basic web browsing and mainly Youtube content.

Not being that familiar with laptops, I was wondering if there are any recommendations for a budget up to £300? Is this too much for this use case?

Taking a quick look, most laptops within this budget don't come with an ethernet port, but I guess you could use an adaptor?

Also, can eMMC storage be upgraded to SSD / NVMe drives? How could you tell expansion possibilities (via specs sheets I suppose)?
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

26 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Robdataff
    Just get them a tablet. I've converted 4 pensioners, they haven't touched their selection of laptops and desktops since.
    thatwasclose Author
    Could be an option...

But could I gain remote access to a tablet if there are issues I need to look at?
    Ukguy101
    Maybe a Chromebook may suit?
    thatwasclose Author
    I did come across Chromebooks, but thought a proper laptop could open up flexibility in installing Linux to another drive / partition and other options. Any main drawbacks on Chromebook?
    AndyRoyd
    A laptop used as a genuinely portable device is best used with wifi connectivity not ethernet, especially if used by anyone with potential mobility issues, otherwise there will be a tripping hazard besides port damage possibilities.
    Obviously not so critical if the device is used as a semi-fixed tabletop device where all cabling can be managed with minimal hazard risk.

Probably best to identify expected screen size, and or if going to be used with external monitor/screen/TV,
    where the latter application means the device may simply be operated by an exceptionally lightweight wireless keyboard/pad compared to a lump of all-in-one heavier heat-spitting laptop hardware on a senior's lap.
    thatwasclose Author
    Some valid points there - thanks.

Yes, it'll be used as a semi-fixed device located by and connected to the TV most of the time.

Having said that, I was thinking of 14" for the screen - just in case it will be used more as a portable device in future.

To be honest, I was going to get a small PC in, but that's inconvenient, hence the laptop came to mind.
    newbie68
    Not better to view youtube via TV for them?
    thatwasclose Author
    Thanks for your suggestion.

Having the internet connection directly plugged into the TV is an option, but I wouldn't be able remotely access to attend to potential technical issues etc.

Not having a PC also limits what can be done over a remote session on a PC, for example if I need to show something on a website etc. (edited)
    doncoop
    So a chromebook might be a choice? Not sure on remoting in but from an ease of use point it may fit the bill. You can get ones which have the screen detach so acts as a tablet for better portability.

I did however move my mum from one to an ipad though in the end. She didn't type much and she had an older one which wasn't as portable. Just got to the point where she didn't want to use it.

Ipad had the added benefit of being much simpler and I knew iOS (have iphone and my own ipad) so could walk her through screen by screen when she wanted to do something new. Can't remote in but you really can't do much wrong with one of them.
    thatwasclose Author
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone.
    aLV426
    Have you considered second hand devices? HP business line would be a good candidate. Basically anything that can run Windows 10 should be more than fit for purpose. Not sure why you want the spec to include an ethernet port? A USB adapter can be had for less than £20. If it's for "basic web browsing and mainly Youtube content" then why the need to worry about "eMMC storage be upgraded to SSD / NVMe"?
    Like I said if it can run Windows 10 it'll do basic web browsing & Youtube - trying to find better spec or options is just unnecessary costs based on what you are asking.

Oh and on the subject of Tablets - it's probably the better solution based on what you have detailed. Also, yes remote support is possible (I use Teamviewer)
    thatwasclose Author
    Is it possible to plug the tablet:

1. to a TV via an adaptor
    2. to use USB to ethernet adaptor if don;t want to use wifi?
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants