SMR had drive performance and recommendations

Posted 24th Jan 2023
I have an 8Tb SMR drive attached to a Raspberry Pi running Serviio as my main media server. It works fine, and while the reads might be high, I don't do much writing (which I believe is a good use case for SMR drives).

However, I added a 3GB file to it last night, from my PC across SMB. It started well, around 10Mb write speed which has been fairly normal given the Pi speed, network etc. But about two thirds through it dropped to 1Mb, and then a bit later it went even slower. It eventually finished around an hour later, but given I've done this a few times over the last few months I was a bit confused. The drive is currently at 6Tb full so I don't believe it was approaching max capacity.

Is there anything I can do/check to understand why the speed dropped off so much? I am 80% sure it's the drive, although I wonder whether the Pi itself was also contributing.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

2 Comments

's avatar
    SMR drives are generally slower than CMR especially when transferring large files.
    Its due to them writing to a cache first, they then transfer the data to the drive usually when idle it could have slowed down due to the cache being full.

good article about the differences below may help.

SMR vs CMR Drives and How to Identify Them Apart - TechWiser
    Author
    Thanks for the article, that's very useful. You might be right about the cache, I reran with a larger file (7Gb) and got this pattern;

49386786-FezIw.jpg
    That does suggest something is filling up then emptying. I guess it is just 'what SMR does' and I'll have to live with it.
Discussions
Top Merchants