Virgin media- phone line moved to internet questions

Posted 26th Sep 2023
Am with Virgin media, my landline phone stopped working a while back, has never been reliable so I thought it would come back eventually. Waited a week and nadda so called them and it seems they have moved it over to the internet without either telling me or sending me some magic adapter that is needed. As well as this my contract is up for renewal in Nov so yet more wasted time on the phone ☹️

I’ve been told by one person that they will get it moved back, waited a few days and nothing so called again to be told I can’t be moved back so they are now sending me out an adapter.

Question I have is my super hub and master socket in the house are on either sides of the room so how using this adapter do I get the rest of the phones in the house working. I asked VM and they couldn’t tell me anything except that they have now also booked an Engineer visit in 2 weeks time.

You really couldn’t make this crap up with the poor level of service from VM!
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    All landline providers in the UK are either in the process of migrating to digital voice, or planning to do so very soon. Virgin have already completely cut off the copper lines for the telephone systems in many areas so there would be no chance of getting them to reactivate it for you.

Just to confirm, you do have a Virgin Media Hub 3 or later, right? You will need this for the adapter to work. You then plug the telephone into this adapter that goes into the back of the Virgin Media Hub.

The easiest way to make things work would be to move the telephone closer to the hub, and ideally use cordless phones so only the base station needs to be connected to a phone line. All others around the house would simply need power and nothing else.

If this doesn't work for you, the engineer visit will resolve this for you by clipping telephone extension wire to the skirting boards to provide a telephone socket where it is needed.

Be sure to let the engineer know if you are 'landline dependent' too. Because now, when the power or internet goes out the phone system does too. If you don't have a mobile phone, don't have mobile phone signal, or make use of medical appliances or health pendants that connect to the phone line then they will need to provide an emergency backup line for you too - Whether this is a small battery backup or a GSM Desk phone to keep you connected in an emergency.
    Sadly, it would seem Plusnet are dealing with this by simply withdrawing from providing any telephony services whatsoever.
    Yeah - I went through something similar. The engineer did tell that they won't be fixing master sockets any more and move all telephone issues to the hub.
    I last used my land line back in 2010, been paying for it ever since. I ended up disconnecting my phones after the first issue with the master socket. They did fit a new one, however I lost the extensions. I ended up buying wireless handsets and the batteries have long since failed.

I reckon going for wireless handsets would be the easiest way forward. I do know that not all wired phones will work off the hub and I very much doubt you would be able to chain more than one wired phone per socket (unless the phones have external power as I don't think there is a ringer equivalence number (REN)). The hub does have 2 sockets though.

Now I only get cold calls, so I simply unplugged all my handsets. Sadly there is no way to remove the land line and reduce your bill...
    Essentially dedicated phone lines are being discontinued and phone services are becoming another internet-based service like TV or e-mail.

So instead of connecting to the lines directly your phones will connect to your home network like all of your other electronics.

The adaptor boxes are there to allow you to continue to use old style phones as a handset, while the box handles the internet side of things. There seems to have been very little effort put into developing home versions though, most of them are clearly office-focused kit with no wi-fi support.

While you could use a range extender as a wi-fi bridge you're talking more cash and an extra box so a new phone that has wi-fi from the start might be easier (depending on how tricky Virgin make it to use your own kit of course).
    Author
    Turn of events. Turned out that I hadn’t in fact been migrated. First Engineer turned up, installed the adapter and when I then tested the phone, nothing. So he called up and they then wanted to speak to me to get my permission to migrate which I refused. It then turned out that this Engineer didn’t know about the old analog service so he swapped with another. The 2nd Engineer turned up and diagnosed the issue with the internal cabling. Seems there was a short in one of the extension cables so he disconnected that leg and the phone line is now working.

He also pulled a telephone wire through the hole where the coax comes through and said when you get migrated tell the Engineer to wire it back to the existing wiring outside and that will liven up all the existing sockets.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants