What are my options to create a win11 restore usb/DVD including all drivers after clean installation on Lenovo Legion?

Posted 21st Jun 2023
Recently received my Legion slim7i gen8 which I ordered without OS. So I then proceeded with the creation of win11 USB stick installer and activated it (thanks God for that USB to ethernet adapter which allowed me to get online without prior Lenovo's drivers). Then I manually downloaded each driver from Lenovo's website and installed everything and ran their update detector app and everything now is installed,included windows updates.
I now therefore want a clean recovery media where it brings all.of that to life in case of need without having to download manually again everything. Basically I'd like to clone everything as snapshot and easily reinstall it if required in the future. Separately, I might also want a repair windows / rescue media just for going back to a previous working state (which doesn't translate necessarily to cloning everything).
So what are my best options available,softwares built-in windows already and 3rd parties(possibly freeware or cheap)?
Thanks for helping
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    all of these
    I have never known a NIC driver not be on Windows install Media since the early days of Windows 7.

I literally just create the boot media, install the OS and let Window find all the drivers and then Windows update sorts the rest once its up and running.

For a Backup and image go to Windows Backup and Restore (Windows 7) which is present on all OS's from 7 onwards.
    Plenty of apps around to do this for you but many people don't realize you can you can just create a full Windows image using the built in backup utility (this option has existed since Vista)

Just write the image to a portable HDD/USB.

To recover just boot from a Win11 USB install and choose the repair option.
    "manually downloaded each driver from Lenovo's website" - why??

Surely Win 11 would have picked up all the drivers automatically??
    Author
    It did supposedly but:
    1)better have them separately for any case scenario;
    2)Never used win11 before nor wanted to mess with drivers on a new laptop,especially with dedicated graphics involved;

Do you have any suggestion about backup methods as others suggested?
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants