Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

What is a Power Delivery charger?

Posted 15th Mar 2023
So I've been reading about Power Delivery and I'm still unsure what it is.

I have a Google Pixel 6A which I've read is Power Delivery 3.0 compatible and supports 18W charging.

I'm currently using a charger from another phone which is capable of 9V 2A or 12V 1.5A but I don't it's a PD charger.

So is a charger that can output 18W the same as a PD charger?

TIA.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    cis_groupie
    So is a charger that can output 18W the same as a PD charger?

Yes
    EndlessWaves
    No. There have been plenty of other, incompatible, extensions to the USB spec capable of handling power flows of 18W or more. (edited)
    EndlessWaves
    USB-PD is a standard that a device can implement.

It essentially defines the way a device uses the USB protocol to negotiate higher power draws over the same connector and the specifics of what they can be.

Various other, often manufacturer specific, standards have used the same voltages as USB-PD. Qualcomm's Quickcharge was popular among phones for a while so there's no way to be sure of compatibility without it being explicitly marked as to what is supports.

Unfortunately most power supply and device manufacturers have often been poor about providing that information about their products capabilities.
    IamOpica Author
    The charger which was from a Redmi Note 8 Pro can output 18W but doesn't state Power Delivery. I think it's Qualcomm 3.0. Would it be better to get a PD charger? It doesn't seem to fast charge although I haven't tested it properly. Thanks.
    Roger_Irrelevant
    The whole USB charging is a minefield now; Power Delivery, Quick Charge, Pump Express..

Then multiple versions of each. Then the cable you use might now work with it. Then the phone might not etc.

Don't forget within the USB protocol is a kind of "handshake" where both devices work out capabilities and max charging currents etc.

TLDR; I just use good old-fashioned induction (wireless) charging. Better for the battery if it's done well and won't cook it. (edited)
    C0mm0d0re_K1d
    As endless waves said. PD or power delivery is the marketing name of the technology that delivers higher power over usb than the standard old slow usb 5v 1.x/2.x amp chargers which I believe max out at around about 10-12 watts in comparison (hello Apple).

According to Google's store page for the pixel 6a...

Wired charging rates up to 18 W based on use of Google 30 W USB-C® or Google 18 W USB-C® charger plugged into a wall socket. Actual results may be slower. Adaptors sold separately. Compatible with USB PD 3.0 PPS adaptors.

If you want to know what the Difference Between PD, QC, and PPS?
    Have a read of this article... blog.ravpower.com/202…ng/

For best results use the manufacturers own charger and cable. Or one that supports the charge mode required. On the fast high power chargers you need to use high quality cables. If you use an old bog standard usb cable, it may not meet the spec for high power delivery.

As things get faster, you will need to use very high quality, properly shielded cables that are shorter than the old 1.5 to 2m usb cables we used to use. (edited)
's avatar
Top Merchants