What is the best free anti virus for a laptop?

Posted 10th Mar 2023
Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

30 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    zippy99
    For a laptop don't install any (extra.) Use what windows gives you is good enough for most people unless (as someone said) you're downloading intentionally dodgy software from shady sites.

Start menu -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Virus & Threat Protection -> 'Scan Options' and change to 'Full Scan'.

Being honest most laptops suffer a slowdown due to the huge resource drain branded anti-virus software has. Most default to an 'active scan' method where it checks every file you access as you access it, unless you turn it off. Which, if you do, why have it in the first place?

Then you have the bloatware of their install suites and the "you have the free, why not try out X from our company to clean your PC and make it go faster" adverts etc.

Windows inbuilt scanner should do an ok job for most people and isn't as a resource hog. If you are thinking of downloading a small file, or visiting a website with a suspicious URL don't do it - instead visit "Virustotal" and paste in whatever link to that site. It'll scan it with 30+ different virus scanners and tell you a few seconds later what's what. All for free.

If after all this you're thinking of installing AVG or another bit of software, running a quick scan and then deleting it immediately that's not a bad idea. However a lot of viruses do the damage the moment they arrive, so by the time you do your random scan it's too late. (edited)
    bozo007
    Windows Defender (the built in one) along with common sense.
    pooool
    “Common sense is not so common.”
    Voltaire
    sm9690
    Stop going on dodgy sites
    tardytortoise
    The best anti-virus is YOU. And if you cannot trust yourself, change your operating system. Why oh why do people blindly buy devices with an operating system that simply cannot protect itself from the net nasties? And if you cannot change your operating system, switch to a browser and email client that will protect you the most. And if you cannot do that, use a search engine to find the best anti-virus for your operating system and then read many of the results and reviews and judge and choose for yourself which is the best. Why oh why would you trust the judgement of others on a site like this? Perhaps you would like a link where you could download some malware?
    AnkerMan
    Can i have a link to this malware? My system requirements are Windows 95, Internet explorer 1.0 and password is Godismyshepherd
    Munch1981
    Best advice, if on windows use the free one what comes with Windows, if not AVG ,i personally have not had a additional Anti Virus for years now and have had no problems.
    Luke_Mcclusky
    Windows defender is all you need a lot of antivirus slow down your system and most of them spy on you to sell your data. Best advice is to get a good browser like Firefox since it has a lot of privacy and safety features also doesn’t hog up your system and stick with windows defender. As long as you use common sense (like not downloading dodgy files) you will be fine.
    Conkers816
    a lot of antivirus slow down your system

This is completely false.
    jjames87
    The one that comes with Windows is very good.
    AnkerMan
    Havent used AV in years. Just use Malware bytes, dont open suspicious links and use common sense. Never been hacked, never been compromised since the birth of the Internet...
    Conkers816
    I didn't use anti-virus for years either. As a former programmer I believed that my level of common sense was enough to protect me. If I did want to look at something I wasn't sure about, I'd sandbox it just to be doubly sure.

And then I got a virus that trashed my entire mp3 collection.
    porthos2020
    Biggest vulnerabilty is you. Look at password managers, use long complex password unique to each website, hardware security keys such as Yubikey. Don't install cracked software. Should be more effective than any anti-virus/malware scanner.
    m4rmite
    No internet connection is the best method.
    Failing that use common sense
    bob-mk2
    Agreed. I haven't used the internet for years.
    jameshothothot
    free malwarebytes is great. run it on demand when you want

i have the paid version for free care of natwest and it runs all the time but the run on demand free version is great too
    Jeremy424
    Which? magazine has rated these the top three best free anti-virus programs for Windows:

Kaspersky Security Cloud
    Avast Free Antivirus
    AVG AntiVirus Free

I would try each and see how your system reacts. Stick with the one that works with your system the best.

Personally, I only use Windows defender because I have a old system and other software causes me problems eventually. There's a lot to be said for layers, which would include an ad-blocker (adblock, ublock), sandbox (e.g. Sandboxie) for running untrusted programs, the fastest DNS that auto-blocks malicious domains etc.
    bob-mk2
    Not to call you out, but AVG sold user data to advertisers, Avast is currently under investigation for something similar and Kaspersky is a Russian company, which is its own host of problems.
    afroylnt
    If you can have one device you keep absolutely clean and dont click on any non trusted emails/attachments then have another for less secure usage.
    AndyRoyd
    Assuming Windoze:
    the standard solution included with the operating system plus decent active adblocker such as "uBlock Origin" (where "uBlock Origin" is available for most browsers) plus reasonable common sense.
's avatar
Top Merchants