Whatever happened to ASDA, use to be one of the cheapest but so expensive now!

Posted 20th May 2023 (Posted 10 h, 57 m ago)
It's been a while since i last visited Asda, i thought compared to other supermarkets i go to they seemed so expensive. Your thoughts on Asda nowadays?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

Categories

40 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    As well as the posts from others, I think another issue is that they are artificially inflating their prices and incentivising the use of their app to get you cashback rewards when you shop there. The problem is for someone like yourself who isn't loyal to their supermarket you just get ripped off and spend way more on a one-off shop.

All the supermarkets are putting prices up, but Asda definitely seem one of the worst these days.
    Author
    I usually use Tesco, Lidl and Aldi, ASDA seemed more expensive than those 3 easily.
    I think they have reduced prices of fruit compared to Aldi. They have always kept grapes at £2 for 2 compared to others at £1.69 each and their fruit is bigger compared to Aldi ie pineapple and melons.

Some people don’t like Asda now because of the new owners. (edited)
    Too be fair in the last 2 years I have only shopped once in Asda & that was about 4 or 5 weeks ago because I was collecting something I ordered online. I knew nothing about who owned Asda or the controversy until the day before yesterday because it was on BBC.co.uk business pages.

I still found the pricing way higher on what I brought. Not quite sure why that happened because Asda was voted the cheapest out of the top 4 recently. Maybe they are cheaper with their offers & cashback but certainly not for what I purchased.
    £99.85 in Aldi today. Another £50 in Tesco.
    No booze. No big items just general shopping.
    Would have been more if they had Pepsi Max in stock as on offer.

Onions are up 20p for pack of 3 this week in aldi.
    Seen other items up in price while others have never changed.
    Yoghurts that were £1 last October In tesco are now £1.60

It's all the supermarkets putting prices up..

Custard In aldi was 55p now 73p I noticed (edited)
    Have you tried the Aldi version of Pepsi Max? Think is called zX Cola or something like that. Tastes good to me as a Pepsi Max fan and about 60p for 2 litres.
    Used to be a no brainer for the weekly shop for me, now it's split between Aldi and tesco
    I noticed that essentials cheese is high atm but few weeks ago it was similar to aldi, sainsburys and even morrisons had cheap cheddar.
    We all know cheese has gone up but look at 250g Cheshire, £1.99 at Aldi (£1.55 last summer) but £2.70 at Asda, how can they justify such a difference? People will realise and shop elsewhere.
    Author
    Yep i certainly won't be going back there in a hurry for sure!
    Waiting for someone to blame the private owners for being greedy
    That’s exactly what it is - up to their neck in debts and have to pay for it somehow

never mind cancelling the national pricing on petrol which only served to see the others jack up the prices too
    When Asda was last purchased, they only paid 12% of the price in 'cash' - the rest was financed with debts and crucially by selling off Asda's warehouses and distribution systems and petrol stations, which they now rent back instead of owning. This obviously costs money and so does debt, thus Asda prices are rising higher than other supermarkets.
    The EG take over was backed by a Hedge fund,who always want their pound of flesh before they sell it on again.
    Don't forget the 'price lock' items that seem to fluctuate
    That's because the price of locks has gone up
    Same with Iceland.
    Prices keep going up everyday everywhere!
    I'm sure our 'half a billionaire' leader said things were great, only a few days ago.
    All supermarkets are the same now and soon as one increases prices they all follow to match the most expensive
    OP is right. It's not just a case of 'prices are going up everywhere'. It's Asda, they've changed. They were virtually never beaten on price. Now they're no cheaper than the other and even more expensive in many cases. I know this because we've had a delivery pass with them for years.

They're also dirty with some offer pricing too. Some gym kitchen things I were looking at the other day ranged between £2 at Morrisons, £2.50 at Sainsbury's but we're £3.75 at Asda! The Morrisons price wasn't an offer either. (edited)
    Not to mention the lack of staff, only 1 checkout open, empty shelves and yesterday they were trying to sell milk that went out of date on the 10th
    Yup noticed this too; ASDA's pricing has become completely uncompetitive.
    Shop mostly at Aldi now. When I do use ASDA it's to spend TCB-bought gift cards on the few products where they're still competitive.

Though prices in general are completely insane; the official 10% inflation is utter fantasy.

There are far fewer promotions to take advantage of, so the savvy shopper is looking at more like 30-50% uptick in prices over the past 12-18m.

ASDA Essential Vegetable soup, Was 24p. Now 57p.
    Says it all really.

Now I just shake my head as I walk past the aisle, go home & make my own. (edited)
    Author
    I went into Sainsbury's later on & they seamed cheaper in comparison & that's saying something when it's Sainsbury's
    Did farmfoods and Aldi today , I rarely shop there , have a Tescos extra on my doorstep , and only shop for 1 ....Farmfoods thanks to the post on here for the butter 1.29 !! also picked up jars of pasta well known brand for 39p! was like a kid in a sweet shop!,some proper bargains, Aldi on par more or less with Tesco now....odd thing has 15p off or slightly cheaper own brand on a few things...two things i used as a barometer ...some fray bentos pies 1.49 in farm foods...3.25 in tescos!, i don't eat them ...but cmon tesco ...thats greedflation!, and tescos own pickle ...55p this time last year , now 1.05...branston pickle 2.75...
    I like farmfoods for price unfortunately no store is near me.

Time to move maybe. It all adds up.
    I personally have never found Asda to be that cheap in comparison to other supermarkets for our typical shop. Stopped shopping there a good few years ago.
    The sugar and fatty foods (fizzy drinks, sweets, crisps, biscuits, cakes, Pizza, ice cream etc) were often cheaper but the healthy stuff I found more costly, Tesco and Sainsburys fruit and veg lasted longer and seemed better for less.

Maybe things have since changed but that was my experience, and most generic products now like paracetamol, toothpaste are pretty much same price everywhere as they all price match each other on these essentials.

Wages for staff have also been increased since Covid to retain staff and that just gets passed on, if Asda pay less than staff move to Aldi, Tesco etc.
    I also think once you accept paying a price in a supermarket for something...that is never really on offer...that price will stay...and keep nudging up ....even if overall the mechanics of it growing, making it ,packaging , stocking it costs go down
    Well the owners are building their new mansions at the moment and that’s got to be paid for.
    It's the same everywhere, cost of living crisis, inflation etc. Prices have gone mad.
    I think the Issa brothers are quite rich enough to not threaten to sack '000 of employee's when they ask for a pay rise. I'll do the only the thing I can and shop elsewhere.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants