Who uses a UK SIM abroad for longer than 3 months without limits imposed?

Posted 4th Jun 2023
I spend the winters travelling through France Spain and Portugal in a motorhome from October through to May seeking the winter sun. A few years ago there was no limits or problems with using a UK SIM whilst abroad. Brexit changed this and last winter I used 1pmobile for calls and texts and Three internet with legs 24gb SIM that last up to 2 years as data in my phone ( as I only use a couple of gig a month) and various local Sims for internet in my 5g router kept in the motorhome (around 40gig a month on average)

I understand that the big four operators limit usage abroad to 60 days before they charge additional fees or limit or suspend the SIM. But the MVNOs seem to be a little bit more flexible with regard to long-term usage abroad.

So I havea at least three Sims on the go all the time and on returning to the UK have to get new Sims for data in my phone and router. I really would like to make this simpler by using UK Sims all year round and for the advantage of being able to access UK TV etc without jumping through hoops.

Can anyone with direct experience of holidaying in Europe for more than three months at a time tell me which UK SIM they have used without issue.

I have just started using Lebara and would be particularly interested if anyone has experience of this sim for long term roaming.

I don't need to know who allows roaming per se but rather who allows roaming for extended periods

Also I am an Irish passport holder so am not subject to the 90/180 Schengen rule before people mention that limit.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Holliator Author
    [deleted]
    KodaBear
    RWG is owned by Now Mobile and use their back end system. They forbid persistent roaming so you’ll get cut off with them.

Popit is EE White label. They have a 6 month per year limit for persistent roaming before you’re cut off. (edited)
    BluebirdRobin
    I won't be able to answer your question, but how glorious how you plan your year out, what fun!
    TristanDeCoonha
    If you can find someone with a legacy EE contract you can take over or join, then you can use that for a significant time.
    My ex was able to use my contract in Europe for about 18 months. It only ended because I realised I could get something better for my needs, and £10 per month was too expensive, otherwise it would still be going.
    Stormbringer2012
    I like your way of living, it must be great just doing that.
    I know its the opposite to what you asked but when I was in Lanzarote I got a Lobster Mobile Sim.
    It's a pay monthly Sim aimed at Expats with English Customer Service they had great plans and because you are in the EU all data and Calling etc would have no restrictions.
    It works when you are back in the UK and when you don't need to use the Sim you can "park" it for up to 1 year and just re-start it again when ever needed.
    KodaBear
    If you can get your hands on a Vectone Mobile SIM Card, they have no policy that forbids persistent roaming. The brand closed to new customers at the end of last month, but if you pick one up from a retailer (Many local convenience stores sell them) you'll still be able to activate one no problem.

I have a pay monthly contract with them that's never charged for, nor limited the use of extended roaming.
    jamie15
    I can't see any info on Vectone closing to new customers, where have you seen this?
    joyf4536
    Lebara will contact you after a couple of months giving you notice of a price jump due to long term roaming.
    occamsrazorben
    I just bought this 1pmobile SIM:
    1pmobile.com/1ye…SIM
    Are there some limits for using this abroad permanently? I didn't see any....
    I also have a PAYG eSIM through Lycamobile:
    lycamobile.co.uk/en/…im/
    Wasn't aware of any time limits for using abroad either.
    tonywy
    1p mobile does have an EU/EEA roaming policy.

As part of our fair use policy, we may monitor and check your roaming use over a rolling 4-month period. If, during this period, you have spent more time abroad than at home and/or your roaming usage exceeds your domestic usage we reserve the right to apply a surcharge of £1.00 per day to your roaming consumption. This surcharge will be taken from your credit balance on a daily basis.
    1pmobile.com/int…taf
's avatar
Top Merchants