Adding extra Ram to Laptop

Posted 10th Feb 2023
If you open up your laptop and add extra Ram will that void your warranty?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Usually not. Not unless you cause damage in the process of doing so. It would always be advisable to return your laptop to factory configuration before sending it in for a warranty claim however.

If in doubt, consult the terms and conditions of your warranty or contact the manufacturer and/or retailer for further advice.
    Different scenario but bought a base unit and RAM to upgrade from CEX. I had a query about the machine once received and part of the discussions was advised that if I opened the case I would invalidate the warranty. (edited)
    No idea, but assume yes.
    My last 4 laptops have been Lenovo. I know upgrading the RAM/SSD doesn't void the warranty with them.

reddit.com/r/L…ty/
    should be a slot that just unscrews, if it don't have no stickers that will be removed or damage you fine, if any problem just remove ram and don't mention the extra
    should be a slot that just unscrews
    I've not seen this for YEARS Now.

Unfortunately the vast majority of modern laptops have done away with the easy access panels on the underside of the laptops. You now often have to remove the entire base cover.

It's very rare that it's as simple as you suggest these days, rather frustratingly.
    Bought a new laptop a few years ago where one of the screws on the rear cover had a sticker over it saying "Warranty void if removed". As others have said, check the warranty info. Different suppliers may have different rules.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants