Which DDR4 ram - overclock or go for 4000mhz?

Posted 8th Mar 2023
I've just picked up an 5600G and a B450 tomahawk motherboard. I might have a look at some light gaming (but my xbox will take care of most of the proper stuff) and will do some photo editing and possibly a bit of video editing.

Any suggestions for 16gb RAM? I've seen the corsair vengeance 3600mhz is £45 at Amazon at the mo. There's also some Patriot Viper Elite 4000mhz for £49. With a decent board, would the faster RAM help (I read that the APU benefits from faster ram). Would I be able to overclock the Corsair or Patriot or would I need high end gear? (and yes I understand that technically, even the stock speeds are "overclocked")

With RAM prices dropping, would you say this was likely to be as low as they'll go? (crystal balls at the ready)

Then there's the Kioxia Exceria nvme's with 1tb for £49 or 512mb for £28. Again, a good time to f'n one or hold off?
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    winter_zombie
    for that cpu i would go for the 3600, anything over that and you might start to get small issues, and you might have to start messing with the timings on the ram. but 3600 is knows to be the best most optimised.
    im using the Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO and ive not no probs at all.
    Pandabeer Author
    Cheers. I've been reading up on overclocking ram and some specifics on how the 5600G responds and it does seem like it would be fine, but yeah anything over 3600 can apparently bring complications, so I think the Corsair would be the sensible option and potentially take them up to 4000mhz.

But then again, the Patriot are only £4 more :/ They'd be easy to drop to 3600 but would have a higher ceiling if I started playing around.

What's the benefit of the Pro vs the standard Vengeance? What made you choose that ram? Was it much more expensive?

I've spent days messing around overclocking a couple of Intel cpu's so I know how hard it Sam be to get things stable one you start pushing, but I've never done anything with ram apart from the basic, 1 clock xmp profile.
    CurvedSlightly
    Check what RAM is compatible with your MOBO first, and if it needs a BIOS/UEFI firmware update.
    Trve_Kvlt
    G.Skill is the best RAM brand.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants