Best paint to protect a shed?

Posted 26th Jun 2023
What would people recommend to protect a shed? Which brand of paint?

Thank you.
Community Updates
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Never liked the idea of paint as it requires too much maintenance. Always used a good quality decking/wood oil to feed and protect. Just reapply every 2 years - no maintenance or prep inbetween. Last shed lasted 20 years before replacing it.
    So do you think it is worth spending 6000 on an average for every 20 years ? Considering you live 70 years and you built first one when you were 30. Roughly 20k over your life time.

You think brick shed will work - Build once then forget ?
    Ducksback is pretty good. But real creosote if you could still get it, would preserve the wood the best. (edited)
    I used Ducksback in 2020 on ours, waited till it was completely dry so it soaked as far in as possible, took several coats but it dried to a nice paint coat by the time I finished and it still doesn't need reapplying this year.

People tend to make the mistake of not letting the wood dry out first or trying to get away with less coats once the colour is there.
    Ducksback is excellent. Have to top up parts of my 20 year old shed each year with it but no rot whatsoever. Still using a 5 litre tin I purchased 10 years ago
    Barn paint is worth considering
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants