buying ipad pro online from private seller and paying via paypal- risky?

Posted 10th Feb 2023
seen an ipad pro 5th gen cellular new opened box on ebay, seller has only 3 feedback.
They are willing to sell it off ebay for a discount to save on ebay fees (£72 ebay fees!), but allow me to pay through paypal for my protection. They are ok selling it through ebay but just with the extra £72 fees on top, so im considering skipping ebay and paying through paypal.

Its a cellular version.
is it risky to do this? Could they get it locked later on down the line by reporting it stolen?
And if i pay on paypal using the normal pay for a purchase 'not gift method', do i have consumer protection from paypal incase its not as described?
Im more worried they could get it locked later on down the line by saying it stolen or something, maybe i should stick to buying from ebay with an established seller.

Thanks for any tips.
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    There's an 80% off seller fvf offer this weekend, tell the seller to opt in and relist it.
    Just avoid it. It's screaming scam
    I wouldnt do it personally, are you messaging through ebay at the moment ? if so the seller will still get charged the ebay fees and get a strike on their account as ebay look at the messages. I sell alot of reasonably high value items on ebay and after alot of scam attempts i do not trust anyone. Always do it through ebay for the most protection.
    Do not buy it you will lose your money (edited)
    I would not risk it as it’s a lot of money.
    If you are collecting it maybe.
    I’m using a 2021, 12.9” pro to type this, only 3 people on eBay tried to scam me this time.
    Don’t come back and say I think I’ve been scammed in a weeks time.
    I reckon they might ask you to pay PayPal "friends and family" then you have no protection
    my advise would be with the savings you and the seller are both making try and come to a deal and pay cash on collection.
    this way you can see it fully working before you pay and can ask for a written sales receipt. with it also being cash in hand the buyer should be willing to come to a deal over the item and the price considering you are willing to travel and collect.
    just remember to get a written receipt from the seller with what you have brought,price payed,with his full name and address and signed.
    if its all legit their will be no issues from the seller giving you a written receipt.
    Report him for trying to sell to you outside of eBay.
    we all like a bargain, that's why most of us are on this group.

But for big ticket items unless it's an actual reputable retailer offering a genuine discount then don't bother.

get one from Apple or any other retailer and get someone to use either a blue light or student discount for you.
    Author
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I think you are all pretty clued up with this stuff, and I am in agreement, it just has a slight funny feel to it and it's not worth the risk at all as maybe I save £150 but quite a decent chance of this going wrong (kind like the time I sold my phone to a dude in Asda card park for top money and then realised I got given fake notes )

Not going to do it, will just buy though eBay. (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants