Can i use router upstairs

Posted 6th Sep 2022
Hi i have a vm hub downstairs, so just wondering if i can use my new Asus router upstairs so i can get strong 5ghz signal for streaming?
Community Updates
New Comment

17 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    redflash
    If there is any possible way for you to run an ethernet cable from the Superhub to the ASUS router I would strongly recommend doing that, then set the ASUS router to Access Point (AP) mode and it will just broadcast it's own SSID (aka WiFi name) then connect things close to the ASUS router to that

If you can't run an ethernet cable between the 2 then you should be able to use the ASUS router as a wireless bridge/repeater just remember to put the ASUS router where it can get a good signal to the Superhub so it can have a good connection back to the internet, it will be slower and less relable than connected with ethernet though (edited)
    KopCity Author
    So best to buy TP link?
    bbfb123
    Best thing you could do would be to have the virgin router in the room you want Internet. Then buy an Asus router, and set the virgin router to modem mode. I have a virgin router in modem mode then an Asus router to handle WiFi and lastly another Asus router downstairs as an aimesh node. I have full WiFi signal all over my house now.

For streaming or gaming you need ethernet connection really, WiFi is bad for these. If you do get powerlie bear in mind you will not get the advertised speed. Good rule of thumb is to divide the advertised speed by 10 and expect those speeds. So a 600mb powerline would be good for a 50mb broadband connection.
    bestec2
    google.com/amp…amp read this. Normally routers can be used as a repeater.
    KopCity Author
    So even tho my new router is wireless I can't use it upstairs unless i buy TP link wireless ethernet connection? Would have thought there'd be simple way?
    Van1973
    Switching the Superhub into modem mode disables the hub's wifi.
    melted
    Looks like some asus routers support connecting to another router as a wireless client, to create a wireless bridge:-

technicalhow.com/asu…ed/

edit:
    In fact it looks like you need to use repeater mode to be able to also connect wireless clients to the asus (media bridge mode uses its wifi exclusively for the bridge).

asus.com/sup…82/

The best solution would be to install cat6 ethernet cable and faceplates. (edited)
    KopCity Author
    Can you recommend a powerline adaptor please?
    KopCity Author
    48175137-nYMSy.jpgwhich one of these 2?
    DJSlime
    The top one is only 600mb, but has Wi-Fi.
    The lower one is 1gb, but has no Wi-Fi.

It depends on your preferences really. I'd pay more personally and get one with 1gb at least, plus Wi-Fi.
    Uridium
    Have you actually tried speaking to Virgin Media?
    They will possibly supply you with some of their Wifi pods (there type of WiFi mesh) often they give them for free depending on your package (edited)
    KopCity Author
    Appreciate the reply, but still unsure of what to do.
    Streaming mostly depends on server bandwidth right? Watched footy yesterday on 4k ultimate didn't buffer once with this server. Was using 2.4ghz too with around 50mb connection upstairs. So that begs question whether my new router makes much difference to vm hub and there's a slight improvement in connection but more or less same when it comes to signal. Can't really use an ethernet cable so I'll need an alternative. What about getting rid of router and buying a 1000mb powerline, that should be 100mb upstairs roughly right?
    bbfb123
    Streaming depends on bandwidth and also latency. If your ping is bad streaming will suffer. So if you've already tested your current setup (presuming your referring to the virgin router), then why are you considering changing the setup?

And I don't understand last bit about getting rid of router, which router are you referring to?
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants