Car hire in the USA

Posted 16th Feb 2023
Hi all, we’re heading to Florida for 3 weeks in the Summer and are looking to hire a car. Last time we went my wife and I were care-free and in our early 20’s and I remember just going for the cheapest deal there was. This time we’re going with our three kids and I’d like to have it all sorted before we get there with all the cover we need so we have as little hassle out there as possible.

There are a crazy amount of options so I was wondering if anyone has had any good/bad experiences out there?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    TheGavster
    There is an app called Turo where you can hire someone's car, like AirBnB but for cars.
    Haven't used it myself so not sure of the details but just thought it was worth a mention as the prices seem to be cheaper.
    tonyawesome69
    I recommend following the guide from MSE. I arranged everything before arriving in US such as the car rental agreement, standalone excess car hire insurance and DVLA code.

moneysavingexpert.com/tra…re/
    tonyawesome69
    I would also suggest pickup and drop-off at an airport location. More selection of cars available and less likely to have delays if a car hasn't been dropped off in time. Airport drop-off is likely available until late at night compared to 5-6pm at a City centre location.
    Jeeseymoose
    I went last October and used virgin holidays who were linked with Alamo.

Got a good price and no issues at all, just go straight to the parking garage and picked a car in the class I had paid for.

I busted up the wheel trim being forced into the curb by someone trying to switch lanes and they were fine with it saying it was covered
    abigsmurf
    Car hire is stupidly expensive at the moment (like most things...). When I last went, Alamo had a depot actually in the Orlando Int. Terminal so you get off the plane, got straight to a kiosk and they tell you to pick a car from a row. Saves a lot of time and stress getting a shuttlebus somewhere and waiting 30 minutes in a queue once you get there. Pay attention to then sneaking in add-ons (especially the full tank of petrol ones of you plan to return it with a full tank)

Get Car Hire Excess insurance (usually very cheap third party). Car Hire companies have very little motivation to fight your corner on insurance claims and will automatically take out eye watering excess fees if you get into an accident regardless of fault.

Remember Car parking is $25 a day at theme parks (unless you're at a Disney hotel as they just scrapped the charges).
    u664541
    Haven’t hired a car in US for around 5 years but are they now following the European “model” of the insurance not covering the first few thousand £/€? Never used to. I know they try and upsell every kind of insurance in the US but basic CDW used to cover all damage expenses.

I’ve always declined it over there but do take out the excess insurance policy offered by 3rd party companies for Europe cover.
    Xippi
    Generally, bodywork damage is covered but wheels, windscreen, towing etc aren't. I tend to buy through a broker and have bought both all bells and whistles cover, and CDW with some kind of an XS, dependant on the deal offered. The 3rd party product then covers the wheels, windscreen etc aspects of the hire - I have a world-wide policy.
    Don't think I'd trust a generic answer here for 'all' USA car hire companies. Look at the CDW values for each individual policy.
    Mendoza
    I used rentalcars, but everything was cheaper 12 years ago..

I just did a random search, and dammmnnnn
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants