Ceiling fan for the bedroom

Posted 12th Jun 2023
Aussie friends say they only use ceiling fans not AC in summer. Has anyone seen any that don't look like 90's conservatory tat.?
Any use them in bedrooms?
Cheers
Community Updates
New Comment

15 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I bought and installed this one in 2021, in this heat I couldn't live without it. Also the fans tuck away when not in use and much more modern looking than some you see for sale. On the lowest setting it blows enough to keep you cool throughout the night (It's even got a timer on it), it's pretty quiet compared to most of the freestanding fans we have tried in the past - I'm a light sleeper also so this would have been returned if it kept me awake all night lol.

50363122-2zQet.jpg
    When we first moved into our house there was a chandelier ceiling fan that was not even good enough to be called 90s conservatory tat. However it didn't take much work with some tools and some paint to butcher all the 'frills' and turn it into something that was more '90s office'. It stayed for about five years until it got replaced by a standard light.

It was nice though, it could run at a slow enough speed to just cause a nice breeze and be absolutely silent. If you turned it up it could get some decent wind going, but there's no way you could sleep with the noise.

See if you can find something second hand at a car boot or similar, then tart it up with whatever you want.
    The Aussies have no taste that's the problem, my Mrs wouldn't be seen dead with a ceiling fan in the house
    Our daughter has one in her bedroom, its just a silver classic style with a light. It works great.
    I inherited a bedroom ceiling fan in a previous flat and it was a godsend in the summer, really effective and silent. Even if it did look like conservatory tat...

I would 100% get one again in my current property except the light fittings are installed way too close to the windows to fit one without some major hassle
    I don't use a ceiling fan but find this wall mounted fan really good.

Simple wall fixing which I hang a picture from most of the year.
    Unfortunately you are limited by room placement due to fan needing power plug so has to be near a source. Then the ugly cable as well that needs to be organised. I'm starting to think a ceiling fan is best overall solution... (edited)
    i think wall fans are more effective than ceiling fans and don't dominate the room.
    Can get ones look bit smarter now don’t know if any good
    50360894-MYVKv.jpg
    I was going to put up a ceiling fan in my bedroom years ago, even bought one that was on offer, then I got up one morning still feeling a bit tired and accidently smashed my lightbulb with my hand while getting dressed and decided putting a rapidly spinning fan there with low ceilings wouldn't be such a great idea.

Best look on google images, how about something like these

50361698-KtTYX.jpg50361698-umbyw.jpg (edited)
    I have a ceiling fan in bedroom but barely use it now.

We use the small usb powered fans on bedside cabinet. Much quieter and really powerful
    We've a chrome Westinghouse in our bedroom for 10 years now. It's on all night, pure bliss this time of year. Centre of ceiling, pretty much above the bed on lowest speed. Makes a massive difference.
    Not sure if I am correct but a fan on the floor might perform best. It would circulate the coldest air.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Pushing the hottest air down doesn't sound sensible..
    And I lived in oz, and we DID have AC (As did all my neighbours).
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants