Cold calls from "carphone warehouse"

Posted 23rd Jun 2021
Constantly getting cold calls from what I suspect is a scam, people pretending to be from carphone. Any advice on how I can stop them from calling me. Not even sure how they got hold of my number but its extremely frustrating.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Misslovely
    I got the one from hmrc tax the other day, a pre recorded one ! I know it’s a scam but it upset my dad as they threatened him with police although my dad hasn’t done anything wrong, he was recovering from long covid and made him distressed for few weeks. I had to repeat myself to dad that you haven’t done anything wrong and if it was hmrc they just wouldn’t threaten you with it . Must be awful for elders
    bigwheels
    On my landline I have a call blocker, but like to have fun with them first.
    I know it’s a scam cos no body uses a land lime anymore.
    I answer and say hello, when they start their spiel I start asking if they are my mummy.
    Just like in the dr who episode .
    Boy do they get confused and angry.
    Or answer with, hello scammer how can I help you
    Mobile asks if caller was spam or not and then blocks number.
    Haircut_100
    I had one the other day, it came up as a 0151 number (the code for Liverpool) and the person said something like “This is Daniel from Carphone Warehouse, we have a promotion on to give you the latest handset”. I just hung the phone up, sounded dodgy to me. (edited)
    louiselouise
    Not sure if it's related, but I find when I advertise on Gumtree (with my number) I get tons of spam calls and texts.

The give away is that they use my "Gumtree name" (which isn't my name) - they quote it back to me!

It's got so bad that I've set all my adverts to email only.
    maionline1
    Block the number or otherwise stop calls from unknown numbets
    Barry33
    If it is legitimately Carphone Warehouse and you want to stop such unsolicited calls, including calls from elsewhere, you can register your number with the Telephone Preference Service here: tpsonline.org.uk/pag…tps.

They can not stop nuecence or scam calls though.
    choccie32
    I keep getting them too. Just hang up. They’ll keep calling from other numbers, keep blocking.
    It is a scam as I told them I wanted to upgrade my iPhone 3 to a 4, and they could do it if I paid a £50 deposit, I told them I couldn’t afford that and then it reduced down to £30. Said I was too poor for that too and they gave up and no more calls so far.
    But it is a scam and my callers could barely speak English. I’ve never dealt with CW ever. (edited)
    JHD007
    If it’s a person and you aren’t interested just let them waffle on and give them the silent treatment.

Works a treat (edited)
    NFS
    Haircut_10023/06/2021 21:39

I had one the other day, it came up as a 0151 number (the code for …I had one the other day, it came up as a 0151 number (the code for Liverpool) and the person said something like “This is Daniel from Carphone Warehouse, we have a promotion on to give you the latest handset”. I just hung the phone up, sounded dodgy to me.

Had the same one too as I’m based in Liverpool and only answered the call with it being a local code and soon as they said who they were and promotions and just told them I wasn’t interested and hung up then blocked the number as well
    Onlydongles
    I ask them their office address and then tell them I am just down the road, so would prefer to pickup the handset and sign contract from there in person in the nest 10 minutes, and pay them cash upfront for the latest shiny shiny. !

They are then lost for words.

OR sometimes I string them along and keep promising to give them my personal & bank details. Till they get fed up, when I mention cant find the correct details. Keep them on hold a while longer that way. (if you have the time).
    Anonymous User
    There is a scam-baiter on YouTube calling up fake Carphone Warehouse numbers. Either they want a fast £50 or use card for more cash and/or identification fraud.
's avatar
Top Merchants