Data sim - travelling to Switzerland

Posted 14th Mar 2023
Hi, I am on Virgin who doesn’t support roaming to Switzerland, they also do not have cheap add ons, and charge a ridiculous price per data. Can anyone recommend a provider that I can use as a pay-as-you-go Sim I only need it for a weeks use. I have asked on TripAdvisor. However they are not as helpful as Hotukdeals. Many thanks in advance
Community Updates
New Comment

24 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    bobdylan
    I used a 3 Go Roam sim in the USA last year and had no issues
    Lilly_White Author
    Did you buy it from Amazon or directly through three
    t3r4
    Last year I used Lyca UK in Switzerland and it worked great, even got 5G. But they have since quitely removed it from their EU roaming page - but it still shows up in the terms when you order a new plan. I'd be interested to know if it still works...

The best options are Three PAYG (cheapest buying on Amazon or eBay), which I believe you already bought, other networks that do include it still are 1p Mobile, Superdrug, Plusnet, Honest Mobile, O2 (on Pay Monthly ONLY), EE (on PAYG ONLY) and a couple of very niche networks Popit and CMLink UK.
    Anon32
    Sky charge £2 to use your allowance for 24 hours. Great if you ask me. However you would have to change contracts. 
    t3r4
    Unless you're only there a day or two it's a rip off given other networks include Switzerland and the EU at no extra charge at under £10 a month.
    shirlsky
    Get Three on payg. My SIL used it jn USA last year without any issues. You can get cheap Three sims on eBay. You just need to choose how much data you need and choose the appropriate add on. Although maximum roaming is 12GB

three.co.uk/sup…ns?
    Lilly_White Author
    Thank you Shirlsky that’s really helpful, I may just get two of three payg SIM cards if roaming is a maximum of 12gb
    Pomegranate20
    Lebara?
    Lilly_White Author
    Hi pomegranate have you used them abroad? Would you be able to recommend them with regards to reception etc?
    harrythefish
    OP, what model of phone do you have? Check if your phone is modern enough to accept eSIMs. Then you can buy Swiss data with that while your Virgin SIM stays installed. But ensure the Virgin SIM's data roaming is turned off. The Three SIM idea may also work but beware that you need to activate and use the SIM before departing the UK.
    AndyRoyd
    Currently £8.19 shifted directly by Amazon for a 3 PAYG SIM with inclusive 30days unlim calls+SMS plus 16GB data allowance bundle (12GB EU roaming inc Switzerland)
    amazon.co.uk/Thr…14/

Activate in UK prior to departure and check functional in UK.

Buy as many SIMs as you believe you may need, but consider 30days limitation for each SIM that you activate in UK.
    Your requirement for only a "weeks use" will obvsly fall within each SIMs' initial 30days inclusive bundle allowance,
    otherwise for continuous periods beyond 30days you can buy credit to use to buy bundle(s) at any time,
    but max one bundle per SIM per 30days period.

Three PAYG inclusive "Go Roam" destinations definitely includes Switzerland
    PAYG tab at three.co.uk/sup…and :
    ...Switzerland is a Go Roam in Europe destination which means you can use your data here at no extra cost.
    If you have an Add-on with a data allowance of 12GB or greater, a fair use limit applies...
    Lilly_White Author
    I’ve seen a three sim on Amazon which is already loaded with data reviews are hot and miss however
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants