Dress sense for online interview

Posted 8th Mar 2023
Got an interview for a job at a university next week over zoom. Wear a tie or not?

What’s etiquette nowadays?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

23 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    mutley1
    Dress as you would for a face to face interview
    MonkeyMan90
    Shirt and tie with no trousers. Who's gonna know, right? Me personally I always wear shirt and tie for an interview, I feel trampy otherwise. (edited)
    AdamWalkerGX7 Author
    No trousers is a given !!!
    iCrazyCarrots
    For a school or uni, isn’t a drag queen outfit the norm these days?
    Willy_Wonka
    Shirt, tie & brown or burgundy buttoned cardigan with leather patches on elbows.

You will fit right in.
    one_eight_seven
    49724034-YgS6Z.jpg
    bob-mk2
    There's never any harm in being overdressed in an interview.

There's potentially a negative in being underdressed (they have a lesser view of you or you become aware of being underdressed and lose confidence).

That's why I always wear a top hat and tails in my interviews.
    DJSlime
    I go to interviews in my motorbike gear, it's an easy excuse not to bother dressing up. Plus I got the job in the 3 times I did that, so it's clearly some kind of life hack.

Not that i'm suggesting to wear motorbike gear at home for the interview, but that would be somewhat hilarious to attempt.
    VeganPolice
    Do you work for Deliveroo?
    Gruff__
    Full bondage gear, including kinky black rubber gas mask. You're welcome.
    splatsplatsplat
    It's not a Parliamentary position...
    oldskooladdict
    Definitely better to be over dressed than. Under dressed, so I'd go with the tie just in case. I remember when we interviewed people, not in ties ourselves but someone showed up too casual, my then boss took a dim view of it (bit silly really!)
    optrex10
    What's it for, gardener, maintenance, cleaner not sure I'd put on a shirt and tie for those as might show you don't like getting your hands dirty.
    crevitz215
    I haven’t worn a tie for years, work in financial services (outside of London tho)

Edit: just read the job, maybe do wear one! (edited)
    VeganPolice
    Good luck
    bozo007
    It depends on the organisation culture and the role. No tie, for example, if it is a typical Silicon Valley type business - Google, Apple, etc. But some of the older banks / insurance companies still like to be stuck in the 19th century. One person you may want to ask is the one who helped set up the interview, unless it is the hiring manager themselves.
    Anonymous User
    This is the problem in society today, people think having standards is 'being stuck in the 19th century' laughable!
    hd321
    For a professional position you’d always wear a tie. Better to be over dressed than underdressed. Unless of course you know they have a casual busy attitude.
    Good luck with the interview.
    Sc4mp0
    For a university I'd probably wear a shirt and tie.

These are old establishments and quite a lot of "dinosaurs" still work for them so may be very traditional in their ways.

Good luck by the way. (edited)
's avatar
Top Merchants