Free nursery hours for 3 yo - how is it calculated?

Posted 22nd Feb 2023
Hi,
So sorry for this post but I'm a bit lost.

My 3 yo will get 30 free hrs from April which we wanted to spread from 38 weeks to 52 weeks, being the full year. The way it works out is that if spread for entire year it will work out as 22 free hrs weekly (roughly). Now, the nursery did the yearly calculation and quoted me £314 monthly and said that the government pay towards the 22 free hours represents £96 weekly (this is based on the amount of £129 per week per 38 weeks given to them by the government).

However, this won't cover 22 hours as morning sessions are £29.5 and full day is £52. We currently do 4 X morning sessions and 1 X full day. That's 32.5 hours total (4 X 5.5 hrs plus 10.5 hours). Logically, if 22 hrs of 32.5 hrs are subsidised, we should see our current fee £722.5 slashed by 2/3 not some random amount of £96? Am I mistaken?

Thanks for all advice (if you dare to read this).

Mon
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    nintendofan10
    My nursery charges a fee which isn't covered by the government free childcare fund. It's £13 a day for electric, gas, paper, materials. Anything really. Have you considered this? Maybe it's just my nursery.
    Moniczek Author
    They haven't told me this but you have a point, it may be the case. The gov should call it free 15 hrs not 30 hrs.
    pcs7038
    I think you've got it.
    Nurseries will usually allow you to use just the free hours but you'll have pay extra for food, nappies, etc or send your own each day. The rate for the 30 'free' hours barely covers staff costs, let alone anything else.

Don't forget you should also be able to get tax free childcare vouchers as well (Useful guide on MSE)
    Moniczek Author
    Hah will blame the gov for misleading people by calling it 30 free hours. Should be 17hrs free!
    buzzbox
    My 3 year old goes to a pre school and we have to pay 90p per funded hour. He goes for 29 hours a week and is term time only so our bill for February was £78.30
    buzzbox
    Should add we do 3 full days and 1 morning session
    echobase
    £96 per week not month. £722 isn’t your weekly amount. 
    Moniczek Author
    Yeah £96 per week, I should get 22 hrs but £96 doesn't even represent full two days let alone 4 X am sessions of 5.5 he each. My calculation says I should get around £120.
    Moniczek Author
    I think I know what it is, the gov says it's 30 hrs but it's only 38 wks which is 22 hrs per week yearly but can't do 22 hrs because food, electrics, other stuff is not subsidised. Should not be called 30 free hrs.
    SaturdayGigs
    So free money and still not hapoy
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants