Help please! Setting up ASUS router with SSE broadband. SOS, mayday mayday, help!

Posted 29th Jun 2016
I have changed to SSE broadband from BT and their technicolor router is useless (wifi reception won't go beyond the room it's placed in) and so I've been trying for over 24 hours to, unsuccessfully, set up my ASUS RT-N66U router up instead.

I have the telephone line going into a TP-Link modem (TD-8817) and then an Ethernet cable connecting the TP-Link and the Asus router. This worked 12 months ago (I've had the BT Homehub 5 for the past 12 months).

The Asus wifi reception is fantastic and spreads throughout the house HOWEVER I cannot connect it to the Internet/www.

I know that the SSE technicolor box uses PPPoE so I tried to go through the Asus quick set up using the PPPoE set-up but it times out and won't work. So I tried the automatic IP set-up and I cannot get it to connect to the worldwide web.

I have gone into the technicolor box setup and copied all of the details - so I know the DNS Server details etc but no matter what I do I cannot connect to the Internet on the Asus.

So - I've done screenshots of;

A) the Technicolour settings (they're the ones on paper, printed off)

B) the processes I've done on the ASUS, the settings etc

What I know:

The username and password for SSE are correct.
The Technicolour router, although chucking out a poor signal, does function, so the problem lies within the Asus settings.

Please help. I'm desperate!
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

34 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Author
    I have just factory reset the Asus router, so anything I've fiddled with will be removed!

I will be having to go between having the Technicolour router plugged in - so I can access the Internet and read/reply on here - and plugging in the Asus router so I can apply the changes. So please bear with me as this may take some time.
    You need a VDSL modem, something like this for a start - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331883137789

Then set the N66U so that the WAN is PPoE.
    Author
    nublets2k

You need a VDSL modem, something like this for a start - … You need a VDSL modem, something like this for a start - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331883137789Then set the N66U so that the WAN is PPoE.

So the TP-Link modem is the issue?!

On Amazon answers I got the impression that the TP-Link one would be the right one.

I'll get the link to the specific model I have

amazon.co.uk/gp/…1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467225286&sr=8-1π=SY200_QL40&keywords=tp+link+modem&dpPl=1&dpID=41jQPaIjrzL&ref=plSrch
    Author
    I looked into whether I could make the Technicolour router into a bridging modem but decided it was beyond my capabilities!
    sickly sweet

So the TP-Link modem is the issue?!On Amazon answers I got the impression … So the TP-Link modem is the issue?!On Amazon answers I got the impression that the TP-Link one would be the right one. I'll get the link to the specific model I have https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003FZ3QSK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467225286&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=tp+link+modem&dpPl=1&dpID=41jQPaIjrzL&ref=plSrch

Yeah, it's the problem.

I'm not sure why, all the fibre/infinity questions on Amazon for that modem are on the money.

amazon.co.uk/for…hza?asin=B003FZ3QSK
    amazon.co.uk/for…hza?asin=B003FZ3QSK
    amazon.co.uk/for…QSK
    sickly sweet

I looked into whether I could make the Technicolour router into a … I looked into whether I could make the Technicolour router into a bridging modem but decided it was beyond my capabilities!

It can't do bridging, you'd have to do what's call double natting which can be a pita. You're best off picking up an Openreach modem or a TP-Link W9970, they're both fairly inexpensive.
    Author
    nublets2k

Yeah, it's the problem.I'm not sure why, all the fibre/infinity questions … Yeah, it's the problem.I'm not sure why, all the fibre/infinity questions on Amazon for that modem are on the money. :(https://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/-/Tx201M1LA8WV9GY/ref=ask_ql_ql_al_hza?asin=B003FZ3QSKhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/-/Tx2CCXYOAMYGS0V/ref=ask_ql_ql_al_hza?asin=B003FZ3QSKhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/-/TxHF1ADC8T9TSV/ref=ask_ql_ql_al_hza?asin=B003FZ3QSK

I totally missed that.

Thank you.

I'll place this all on hold for now and let you know how it goes tomorrow with the right modem!

nublets2k

You need a VDSL modem, something like this for a start - … You need a VDSL modem, something like this for a start - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331883137789Then set the N66U so that the WAN is PPoE.

I suggest you buy an unlocked one like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122011851693

so you can use the Web interface to input password and username. Nightmare to setup via router.
    developers

I suggest you buy an unlocked one like this one … I suggest you buy an unlocked one like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122011851693so you can use the Web interface to input password and username. Nightmare to setup via router.

It's very easy to unlock a HG612, but I don't think it really offers much benefit to people unless they want their line stats.

Personally I wouldn't buy a used modem, you don't know what condition the capacitors are in unless you open it up.
    nublets2k

It's very easy to unlock a HG612, but I don't think it really offers much … It's very easy to unlock a HG612, but I don't think it really offers much benefit to people unless they want their line stats. Personally I wouldn't buy a used modem, you don't know what condition the capacitors are in unless you open it up.

Is it even possible to set username and password if it's still locked?
    developers

Is it even possible to set username and password if it's still locked?

Yeah it's already in bridge mode, you set the PPoE settings on the router, it's not locked to a specific isp like HomeHubs are.
    Can you not use the technicolour router in modem mode, or the asus in access point mode?
    nublets2k

Yeah it's already in bridge mode, you set the PPoE settings on the … Yeah it's already in bridge mode, you set the PPoE settings on the router, it's not locked to a specific isp like HomeHubs are.

The ASUS RT-N66U is just a router. How do you input the logon password username to pass through the HG612?
    Hey... have you contacted SSE to tell them their router is rubbish?
    (edited)
    developers

The ASUS RT-N66U is just a router. How do you input the logon password … The ASUS RT-N66U is just a router. How do you input the logon password username to pass through the HG612?

Using PPPoE.
    nublets2k

Using PPPoE.

Exactly. Where do you input PPoE setting.
    developers

Exactly. Where do you input PPoE setting.

Oddly enough on the PPPoE settings page.

28314973-WuXin

nublets2k

Oddly enough on the PPPoE settings page.

Thanks I missed that screen although I'd still buy the unlocked version with it's own Web interface.

(edited)
    If you're saying the SSE router is rubbish, are you referring to wifi only or everything? If it's just wifi rather than the actual internet connection then why not use that and connect the Asus router to it for wireless since that is essentially what you're doing with the TP-link.
    Author
    miikeyblue

Hey... have you contacted SSE to tell them their router is rubbish?

I have. They said 'it's industry standard'.

The problem with the SSE Technicolour box is that the wifi didn't reach beyond about 5 metres from the box! It's improved to about 8 metres from the box ie the hallway now I've changed the channel number but no reception in the kitchen/sitting room/bedroom etc which is unacceptable in my opinion.

I'm taking my dad up on his kind offer to get an integrated VSPN modem router and he'll charge it to his company. So thanks to the wonders of Amazon prime I'll be getting a Netgear one tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I'm going to try the Asus in repeater mode connected to the Technicolour tomorrow before I try the Netgear one just in case I can get that to work.

All I would like is wifi to reach the bedroom/kitchen/sitting room. I'm not expecting 3/3 bars everywhere or to get wifi in the garden, but at least one bar of reception in the bedroom directly above the router isn't exactly a huge ask (in my opinion).
    I used the guide here to use my BT hub 5 box as a wireless bridge and it works great expertreviews.co.uk/net…isp
    Author
    SUCCESS!!

Using the Technicolour as a modem and then Asus as a repeater.

I'm in my bedroom and get good reception now. Yayyyyyyy.

Thank you to everyone for your help.

28316217-rP2oa

FYI speeds

28316217-H0nK2

And the point at which my dogs gave up on me ever fixing this...

28316217-449Zl

Anonymous User
    I have no clue what any of this is about.
    I feel like an old fart.
    Author
    chimp14uk

I have no clue what any of this is about.I feel like an old fart.

Ha. I'm still so happy, and relieved, that it's all fixed.

And the dogs never waivered in their support X)

Hopefully the pic of them will make you smile even if this thread makes little sense.

Oh, and here's a bonus pic of pups & kitty to make you smile.

28317076-Qt8B5

(edited)
    how do you find out your user name and password to use your own router with sse as there support team Havant a clue when i asked them
    Author
    REDBULL2K7

how do you find out your user name and password to use your own router … how do you find out your user name and password to use your own router with sse as there support team Havant a clue when i asked them

In the paperwork there was an a5 piece of paper with details of SSE's 'netintelligence' security software, and on the back are your details.

Your username will be the first 8 or 9 digits of your account number followed by -southern @ ssebb.co.uk (I had to add spaces as there were too many characters to show it properly in one go without Hukd mobile browsing adding extra dashes!)

The password is unique to your username so I can't help with that.

Call their helpline again, I went through the process of checking my username & password with them and they confirmed the details for me.

The Technicolour router details are username: admin & password: admin

My Technicolour router has needed to be reset 4 times already so I think it's faulty.

28320217-4NWQN

When it is working, and I connect to the Asus 'network' then I'm very happy! But their router isn't fit for purpose.

(edited)
    cheers , i did read on anther post that they used the user name and password they were given for the internet security but Havant had chance to try yet as not active till tomorrow .

thanks
    Author
    REDBULL2K7

cheers , i did read on anther post that they used the user name and … cheers , i did read on anther post that they used the user name and password they were given for the internet security but Havant had chance to try yet as not active till tomorrow .thanks

Yes, the details on the Internet security are your username and password.

Ironically the details they give you don't actually work on the netintelligence log in section, for the username you need to just use the numbers & nothing else, and then use the password they gave you.

I highly recommend ditching the crappy Technicolour router X)
    Author
    Urmmm....let's compare tonight's speed to last night's speed oO

Last night:

28321475-wxlkw

Tonight:
    28321475-YWI4m

Wtf?!

sickly sweet

SUCCESS!!Using the Technicolour as a modem and then Asus as a repeater. … SUCCESS!!Using the Technicolour as a modem and then Asus as a repeater. ..............

May I ask how do you set it up?
    I'm getting connected in 2 weeks time and hope to use my Asus AC 68U as a router as well.
    Any updates to this thread, I cannot seem to get the Asus to work as a router with sse fibre
    Anonymous User
    "sickly sweet" above is correct. In the installation box you get a sheet that says "How to install your Internet Security Suite". On this sheet is a super long username that looks a bit like this: 123456789012345@ssebb.co.uk. There's also a password on there - though the font they used really didn't help as it prints upper case "i" and lowercase "l" as virtually identical characters.

Plug the username and password identically as they are into the PPPoE screen as shown in the screen shot above by nublets 2k and then click apply.

This is what I did and it connected straight away without the need for any further configuration.

The kit I am using is an ASUS RT-AC66U and the original Openreach router that came with my previous BT Infinity connection.

Hope that helps and good luck.
    anyone know if they block or have nything like ip flooding that needs turning off?
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants