How much would you expect to pay to get push bike break disks changed by a bike tech?

Posted 16th Apr 2023
My front break disc on my gravel bike is shot (im guessing) the back seems fine. Basically its just not providing enough resistance to actually stop the bike so when you apply the front break the wheel can still move.

I tried giving the cable more length at the bottom but this hasn’t done the job. When I apply the front break it sounds like a horn of a car!

I’m just not that well versed on these things so rather get a pro to deal with it but dunno what a reasonable rate would be..
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Pay whatever as long as it doesn't brake the bank
    It's brake not break....
    Sounds like the brake pads are worn out and you've probably ruined the disc too by not changing pads earlier, cant help with costs sorry but its simple to do yourself if you find parts (edited)
    When you say you can't put in enough force is that with you squeezing hard on the handle or is the lever going all the way back and it's physically blocked from moving more?

If it's the latter then it definitely sounds like the cable as stretched and it simply needs adjustment, the brake system itself could be fine.

Cable disc breaks do have a reputation for needing more frequent adjustment than lower maintenance types.
    Sounds like contaminated or glazed brake pads. Take them out, clean with brake cleaner and run some wet and dry over the pad surface.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants