Hurghada or Sharm el Sheikh?

Posted 19th Feb 2023
Hi, we're thinking of booking some winter sun for next year, just the 2 of us, and looking at our first trip to Egypt. We're not interested in party nightlife, but do like a bit of a town to walk about, explore, with a good few bars and restaurants to choose from. Both Hurghada and Sharm look like they might fit the bill, so really asking for any experiences people have had and which they prefer? Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    MadeDixonsCry
    Hurghada every time. No doubt about it
    sasultrasonic
    We loved sharm when we went! Have a great recommendation for a hotel. It’s called Magic world! You can not go wrong it was a faultless, flawless hotel! tui.co.uk/des….ds

Need any tips please ask me trips etc we did it all (edited)
    AMaky
    Sharm is better and more 'up market' (edited)
    Joe90_guy
    Be aware if you go out at Xmas/New Year, it gets dark pretty early & it can get uncomfortably cold in the evening, so eating outside isn't much fun.

Not sure if it's still true but if you go to Sharm, you need to be aware of the presence of the Russian horde! Yes they're harmless but they attack breakfast like they've never ever seen food in their lives before. Also I've seen them pinch all the wind-breaks on the beach to form a circle around their own sun beds!

Been to several places in Sharm & Taba over the years. The Sonesta Beach, the Sofitel, the Baron, the Four Season, the Concorde El Salam & the Grand Rotana. TBH, they're all much of a muchness & offer the same experience. If I had to pick one it would be the Grand Rotana.

PS - We stayed at The Swiss Care Hotel in Nuweiba about 20 years ago. I remember it was one of Trip Advisor's 'hidden gems'. All I can say is I wish it had stayed hidden! An absolute dump of a place. One of the few holidays I've had which I couldn't wait to end. (edited)
    FTCom
    Been to both, actually stayed at El Gouna which is not far from Hurghada, really loved the place and well worth a visit. (edited)
    yozzman1234
    The Savoy Sharm . It’s located in a complex called Soho Square. Upgrade your all inclusive so you can eat and drink there . It’s very upmarket compared to 99% of sharm and Hurghada . Top notch food and drink , but pricey . I have also done Baron , Sensatori and a few others .
    mrrsoles
    The Baron at Sharm, it was great last time we went. We haven't been for a few years though.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants