IHG reward points stolen! Check your accounts?

Posted 12th Apr 2023
Afternoon HUKDers

Had an email from IHG rewards stating that I’d successfully managed to change the email address registered with them?

Odd as I hadn’t initiated any changes, hadn’t been in my account for over a week.

But the email prompted me to check.
Went to look on my IHG rewards account and couldn’t get into it as the email address had been changed!
managed to check the app as I was still logged in on that and sure enough my email and phone number had been changed and I was “currently” staying for 4 days at a IHG hotel in the US of A (wasn’t there and haven’t been, ever, was enjoying the great British bank holiday weather )
This “stay” had been booked using 80,000+ of my reward points

Have eventually got the points back although the stay/booking still shows on my account?
None of the several IHG reward team/IHG fraud team staff could actually say if anyone actually used the booking/room?

Was just a heads up really to check your accounts?
The original email would have been overlooked had it gone to the spam folder or just appeared as an IHG marketing email?
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

1 Comment

's avatar
    jamie15
    If you reuse same passwords it was probably a credential stuffing attack.

See if your email has been breached here although this is not a fully comprehensive list haveibeenpwned.com/
Discussions
Top Merchants