Just Eat prices seem extortionate or is it me?

Posted 10th Oct 2023
As the title says, I have used JustEat a couple times now after a long time and have noticed many takeaways have gotten greedy on there. Instore shop prices are always cheaper than Justeat prices (this is excluding any delivery or service charge). Example a burger meal costs £4 at the takeaway but the same thing costs £6.50 on JustEat (excluding other charges).

I thought JustEat was on top of it and didn't let takeaways do that? Or is it just the case for places around me?!
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    No bro you have it wrong. It’s just eat charging too much on fees and then takeaway is passing it on to customers!

My local takeaway left just eat but lost a lot of customers and now they are back on but charge £1.20 per burger more than actual costs.

Foodhub now charge 50p service charge but their prices are normally same as takeaway

People are lazy and can’t be bothered to ring anymore
    Just Walk!! I saved £10 other day by walking to local takeaway -i never use app but wanted to check the difference!!
    Author
    I do that, believe it or not. I collect my orders in person, hence why I noticed the price difference. I just wanted it made in time and not be waiting.

Some takeaways like this one don't pick up their phone when they're extremely busy. So went on Just Eat to order.
    Author
    Yeah I saw that just earlier but still can't believe takeaways around me just don't seem to care.

These higher online prices is what made me stop using uber eats.
    Just Eat (and other delivery APPs) charges the merchant like 30% commission.
    And then they also charge you extra service charges on top.

Why some take away try not to use them, or make their own websites.
    It's a service for discovering new places in unfamiliar locations, or in those areas densely populated enough that new places might open that you're unaware of.

It's not adding any value for ordering from your usual place so there's no good reason those costs should be passed onto regulars.
    Our local Indian is around £10 cheaper for our order when ringing them direct than through just eat
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants