Laying vinyl plaks over council flooring

Posted 16th Nov 2021
I have this blue sparkly lino stuff that was laid when the house was a council house Its gritty and awful I want to lay self adhesive vinyl floor planks over it Do I need anything special in it or will it go on top ok Or should I spray adhesive as well Hate the spray stuff as it gets everywhere bit not keen in the goop you need to spread I like DIY but not a power tool person so this type of flooring seems OK to see if I can lay it myself using a Stanley knife and a rubber mallet if needs be Any advice welcome Thanks in advance
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Ringfinger
    Best way to do it, save you a lot of grief later, is to cover the floor with plywood. It gives you a flat surface that you can mark out your centre line on, and when you want to take it up, it comes up clean with no glue residue.
    If doing it in kitchen or bathroom use marine ply.
    groenleader
    nemesiz16/11/2021 21:40

A stupid question but are the sparkling flooring, tiles or as stated …A stupid question but are the sparkling flooring, tiles or as stated linoleum plastic? As many older Fifties and Sixties (and newer) Council properties used Asbestos tiles in the Kitchen, Toilet and Hallway. Understandably if you believe they are asbestos appropriate care, attention, and contacting the authorities for advice might be advisable.

Not just council houses, most new builds of the period with concrete floors (which is nearly all) were topped with asbestos tiles!
    kireir
    If it's what I'm thinking of (the "standard" wet room council flooring) then yes! Not sure if it's the totally flat flooring OR the one with the bumps. Either way, you need to make sure your floors are completely dry before you're starting, to try and prevent moisture being sealed in underneath.
    I'm sure there will be plenty of YT videos to give you hints and tips for laying too! Good luck
    nemesiz
    A stupid question but are the sparkling flooring, tiles or as stated linoleum plastic? As many older Fifties and Sixties (and newer) Council properties used Asbestos tiles in the Kitchen, Toilet and Hallway. Understandably if you believe they are asbestos appropriate care, attention, and contacting the authorities for advice might be advisable.
    Pig_On_The_Wing
    Yep, we bought a council and can confirm. We just underlayed over it and then put wood flooring down. Just let sleeping dogs lie, literally.
    wibbleboy
    It's perfectly okay to lay vinyl planks over existing flooring (assuming that the existing surface is sound), but any imperfections in the surface, loose sections, etc would show in the final result. If you're planning on trying to cut the vinyl with a Stanley knife, then I recommend getting a metal ruler and a pair of speed clamps to make it easier to do a straight cut without injuring yourself.

amazon.co.uk/Rol…5Q/
    amazon.co.uk/WOR…35/
    lindalucky Author
    kireir16/11/2021 18:34

If it's what I'm thinking of (the "standard" wet room council flooring) …If it's what I'm thinking of (the "standard" wet room council flooring) then yes! Not sure if it's the totally flat flooring OR the one with the bumps. Either way, you need to make sure your floors are completely dry before you're starting, to try and prevent moisture being sealed in underneath. I'm sure there will be plenty of YT videos to give you hints and tips for laying too! Good luck

Yes its bumpy so when u mop it you see hairs wrapped in the stupid sparkly bits Thanks for your reply

Ringfinger16/11/2021 18:35

Best way to do it, save you a lot of grief later, is to cover the floor …Best way to do it, save you a lot of grief later, is to cover the floor with plywood. It gives you a flat surface that you can mark out your centre line on, and when you want to take it up, it comes up clean with no glue residue. If doing it in kitchen or bathroom use marine ply.

I cant do the plywood thing as stated I don't use power tools like cutting implements nor would I be able to get plywood No car I know there are ways but I'm really trying to get a nice enough floor on a budget and in the easiest way possible I could order lino and have it installed but it would get ripped in the kitchen with chairs scraping back and forth etc Not too worried about when it comes up to be fair Thanks for your reply (edited)
    lindalucky Author
    nemesiz16/11/2021 21:40

A stupid question but are the sparkling flooring, tiles or as stated …A stupid question but are the sparkling flooring, tiles or as stated linoleum plastic? As many older Fifties and Sixties (and newer) Council properties used Asbestos tiles in the Kitchen, Toilet and Hallway. Understandably if you believe they are asbestos appropriate care, attention, and contacting the authorities for advice might be advisable.

The house is about 13 years old its a massive roll of sparky pebbly feeling rubbish Obviously cheap and durable
    lindalucky Author
    I remember my parents house Was a massive 5 bedroom with a dining room Wouldn't get that nowadays in a new build especially a council house But it had those plastic type tiles and polystyrene looking kitchen ceiling Death traps lol
    lindalucky Author
    wibbleboy17/11/2021 09:12

It's perfectly okay to lay vinyl planks over existing flooring (assuming …It's perfectly okay to lay vinyl planks over existing flooring (assuming that the existing surface is sound), but any imperfections in the surface, loose sections, etc would show in the final result. If you're planning on trying to cut the vinyl with a Stanley knife, then I recommend getting a metal ruler and a pair of speed clamps to make it easier to do a straight cut without injuring yourself.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-50824-Stainless-Steel-Ruler/dp/B001TEQO5Q/https://www.amazon.co.uk/WORKPRO-Heavy-Duty-Spreader-One-Handed-Woodworking/dp/B0875TD935/

Thanks will do
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants