Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Lebara content blocking...

Posted 19th May 2021
What i wld really like to know is does anyone knows of a way to bypass Lebara content blocker without paying for a VPN, as if you want for example to go to a proxy site you get diverted to mobile.lebara.com/gb/…rol as seen below -

3727059.jpg
why do i have to go to a website to prove my age using facial recognition ?!

This is clearly example of overeaching and mission-creep.

Did i hear someone say possibly ulterior motive as this does not solve the problem of under 18 viewing of adult content at all?
Community Updates
New Comment

31 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    mec.hau
    I did this verification 3 times, every 2 days for a week and I still have blocked content. This verification does not work. Pictures seem to be deleted, if not I will be famous
    sca1972
    “UK mobile phone operators began filtering Internet content in 2004[57] when Ofcom published a "UK code of practice for the self-regulation of new forms of content on mobiles".[58] This provided a means of classifying mobile Internet content to enable consistency in filtering. All major UK operators now voluntarily filter content by default and when users try to access blocked content they are redirected to a warning page. This tells them that they are not able to access an 'over 18 status' Internet site and a filtering mechanism has restricted their access. Categories that are listed as blocked include: adult / sexually explicit, chat, criminal skills, drugs, alcohol and tobacco, gambling, hacking, hate, personal and dating, violence, and weapons.[59] Users who are adults may have the block lifted on request.”

If it is implemented the same as the broadband filters then accounts that were setup before they decided to switch on filters by default would not be affected, only new accounts. Maybe your EE account was setup before they changed the rules.
    MadeDixonsCry
    What if you look like this?

44740822-GcZg0.jpg
    Onlydongles
    Its all about control. Once you are in their datbase, youre there forever !

To be used/abused against you whenever the nanny state / GCHQ, Mi5/6 et al decides to do so.
    dipsylalapo
    Surely just call them up and ask for the block to be removed? IF you're not able to remove this block within your profile, I'd want to leave Lebara.
    melted
    andrewworrall119/05/2021 14:21

Okay but that verification process isn't always amazing, what if you're 18 …Okay but that verification process isn't always amazing, what if you're 18 but look younger and the website doesn't believe you're 18? Especially if you've only just turned that age

Point the camera at the telly while the news presenter is on?

Or does the recognition software prevent cheating by ask you to make specific facial expressions like annoyance, anger and exasperation. (edited)
    Anonymous User
    john453619/05/2021 14:57

yes but other internet providers dont do it, as i said i have EE and they …yes but other internet providers dont do it, as i said i have EE and they dont - why shld Lebara be putting cusomers through the hassle of sending passport, dlic etc for something that kiddies today can really easily bypass with VPN etc etc

Giffgaff, do it as well think it’s ones don’t do full credit checks, it’s part of their process to show they are taking some action, same way as the new government laws that they keep threatening to put in don’t take into account VPNs. As you said it makes no sense and will only stop younger kids adding a VPN, but their way around that is putting the onus onto the parents to check what kids are putting on their phone. Reality is though many don’t.
    MadeDixonsCry
    melted19/05/2021 14:40

Point the camera at the telly while the news presenter is on?

Genius.

deleted7595319/05/2021 15:06

Giffgaff, do it as well think it’s ones don’t do full credit checks, it’s p …Giffgaff, do it as well think it’s ones don’t do full credit checks, it’s part of their process to show they are taking some action, same way as the new government laws that they keep threatening to put in don’t take into account VPNs. As you said it makes no sense and will only stop younger kids adding a VPN, but their way around that is putting the onus onto the parents to check what kids are putting on their phone. Reality is though many don’t.

If they're gonna outsource to the parents at the end then they should stop being a nanny state let the parents do their job from the start. Nannying is what let parents become lethargic in the first place.
    tawse57
    mec.hau15/08/2021 21:50

I did this verification 3 times, every 2 days for a week and I still have …I did this verification 3 times, every 2 days for a week and I still have blocked content. This verification does not work. Pictures seem to be deleted, if not I will be famous

I have just joined lebara, tried the adult verification several times and it does not work. Will now look for another provider.

Edit: 20th December, 2021.

I now am able to access my various news blogs and other sites that I could not before. The adult verification appears to have been enabled but I had no text confirming it. I suppose it just took a few weeks to kick in. (edited)
    slimy31
    I had to do similar to plusnet, although I don't recall it being a facial recognition check. It's good that they say five minutes to verify though, I had to wait 24 hours.
    john4536 Author
    slimy3119/05/2021 12:24

I had to do similar to plusnet, although I don't recall it being a facial …I had to do similar to plusnet, although I don't recall it being a facial recognition check. It's good that they say five minutes to verify though, I had to wait 24 hours.

yes it is facial recognition and thats why its 5 mins, as you sit there whilst they (or some algorithm) watch your face to see if they cld tell if you are not under 18.

i believe this is wrong - for one, other providers like EE dont have this block, i have EE too and i can go to the same proxy site Lebara blocks,

secondly there are other methods used before like entering your credit card details to prove your age, which in my books is okay,

thirdly it massive 'over-reaching' in the name of protecting kids and

fourth ridiculous because just like alcohol, all a kid has to do to bypass such a lock on their sim is for example visit gramma and get her to sit infront of the webcam during the verification process and bam the account is unlocked for any content and then the kid take the laptop to their bedroom and roam the internet freely, it more or less the same as kids hanging outside alcohol selling shops and asking 'nice' adults to buy them bottle of alcohol which these 'nice' adults do and then hand over the alcohol over to the kids outside the shop doors, now where is the protecting of kids there?

and i know someone who is well over 30 yrs old and looks so young they are still asked for proof of age when recieving grocery delivery and so for such a person what next if the algo says they think he/she is under 18?

the real issue here is privacy - what does this site do with the pics or video it takes of you once the facial recognition is done - do ppl really believe it is then deleted? (edited)
    Paul_Stephens
    john453619/05/2021 12:27

yes it is facial recognition and thats why its 5 mins, as you sit there …yes it is facial recognition and thats why its 5 mins, as you sit there whilst they (or some algorithm) watch your face to see if they cld tell if you are not under 18.i believe this is wrong - for one, other providers like EE dont have this block, i have EE too and i can go to the same proxy site Lebara blocks, secondly there are other methods used before like entering your credit card details to prove your age, which in my books is okay, thirdly it massive 'over-reaching' in the name of protecting kids and fourth ridiculous because just like alcohol, all a kid has to do to bypass such a lock on their sim is for example visit gramma and get her to sit infront of the webcam during the verification process and bam the account is unlocked for any content and then the kid take the laptop to their bedroom and roam the internet freely, it more or less the same as kids hanging outside alcohol selling shops and asking 'nice' adults to buy them bottle of alcohol which these 'nice' adults do and then hand over the alcohol over to the kids outside the shop doors, now where is the protecting of kids there?

Try turbo VPN free in the play store
    MadeDixonsCry
    in b4 the comment gets removed for being offtopic
    andrewworrall1
    Okay but that verification process isn't always amazing, what if you're 18 but look younger and the website doesn't believe you're 18? Especially if you've only just turned that age
    john4536 Author

Okay but that verification process isn't always amazing, what if you're 18 …Okay but that verification process isn't always amazing, what if you're 18 but look younger and the website doesn't believe you're 18? Especially if you've only just turned that age

another very good point
    john4536 Author
    deleted7595319/05/2021 14:28

then they ask for a copy of a passport or driving licence, been happening …then they ask for a copy of a passport or driving licence, been happening for a long time now not just with this company.

yes but other internet providers dont do it, as i said i have EE and they dont - why shld Lebara be putting cusomers through the hassle of sending passport, dlic etc for something that kiddies today can really easily bypass with VPN etc etc (edited)
    john4536 Author
    MadeDixonsCry19/05/2021 16:18

Genius.If they're gonna outsource to the parents at the end then they …Genius.If they're gonna outsource to the parents at the end then they should stop being a nanny state let the parents do their job from the start. Nannying is what let parents become lethargic in the first place.

again 100% correct, and if parent were able to 'watch' what their kids were up to 24/7 in the first place, we wldnt have the need for state 'nannying', most kids these days literally run rings around their parents technologically speaking and otherwise and like alcohol legislation not to sell alchol to kids etc, this will not work but instead will inconvenient adults, but then again its about protecting kids lol (edited)
    jederer
    John what you trying to look at
    one_eight_seven
    If it’s not PAYG then surely they’ve confirmed you’re not under 18 already when purchasing the SIM.

I wouldn’t trust them with a photo of my passport/drivers licence or a facial recognition scan of my face. (edited)
    john4536 Author
    jederer19/05/2021 18:43

John what you trying to look at

not what you think
    john4536 Author
    Paul_Stephens19/05/2021 12:30

Try turbo VPN free in the play store

yeah vpn seems to be the answer and whats stopping some under 18 kid getting the same from the play store too
    john4536 Author
    Onlydongles19/05/2021 12:44

Its all about control. Once you are in their datbase, youre there forever …Its all about control. Once you are in their datbase, youre there forever ! To be used/abused against you whenever the nanny state / GCHQ, Mi5/6 et al decides to do so.

totally agree and thats why we shld all be concerned and not wait until it affects us personally before we say/do anything about it.
    john4536 Author
    dipsylalapo19/05/2021 12:55

Surely just call them up and ask for the block to be removed? IF you're …Surely just call them up and ask for the block to be removed? IF you're not able to remove this block within your profile, I'd want to leave Lebara.

indeed

for now (as they havent even finished porting my number across yet) what i do is simply connect my laptop to my EE hotspot, use the proxy site and then reconnect back to Lebara hotspot, after the porting have finished i will probably call them and see. (edited)
    Anonymous User

then they ask for a copy of a passport or driving licence, been happening for a long time now not just with this company. (edited)
    john4536 Author
    melted19/05/2021 14:40

Point the camera at the telly while the news presenter is on?Or does the …Point the camera at the telly while the news presenter is on?Or does the recognition software prevent cheating by ask you to make specific facial expressions like annoyance, anger and exasperation.

lol i thought of that too but ave never used the age verificatio website myself, so not sure (edited)
    john4536 Author
    deleted7595319/05/2021 15:06

Giffgaff, do it as well think it’s ones don’t do full credit checks, it’s p …Giffgaff, do it as well think it’s ones don’t do full credit checks, it’s part of their process to show they are taking some action, same way as the new government laws that they keep threatening to put in don’t take into account VPNs. As you said it makes no sense and will only stop younger kids adding a VPN, but their way around that is putting the onus onto the parents to check what kids are putting on their phone. Reality is though many don’t.

jameshothothot
    play.google.com/sto…=US
    opera browser has free vpn
    or can try free windscribe for 10gb data i think per month?
    john4536 Author
    jameshothothot19/05/2021 18:29

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.opera.browser&hl=en_GB&gl=USopera browser has free vpnor can try free windscribe for 10gb data i think per month?

thank you very much, will try them out
    john4536 Author
    one_eight_seven19/05/2021 19:03

If it’s not PAYG then surely they’ve confirmed you’re not under 18 already …If it’s not PAYG then surely they’ve confirmed you’re not under 18 already when purchasing the SIM.I wouldn’t trust them with a photo of my passport/drivers licence or a facial recognition scan of my face.

100% correct but alas some dont see what we see as very wrong
    Sailorpete
    Mmmm
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants