New mobile phone

Posted 30th Jan 2023
hello I'm after a bit of advice. my wife needs a new mobile, she has an apple iPhone 6s and is happy with it apart from a shashed screen. want to get her a new one. was tempted in the honor magic 4 pro as I'm a Huawei p30 pro user and know honor was a part of them years ago. not a fan of the apple brand any ideas of what phones are good these days. would like a good camera on it. any help would be mostly appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If she was happy with the iPhone then maybe just step up to the iPhone SE 2 (2020) or SE 3 (2022) - They are the same size as the iPhone 6s, very similar design, but with more speed and features, as well as years more updates. It would be a very familiar device for her, and these SE Models tend to be pretty cheap especially if you make use of things like the current eBay discount codes that are going on right now.

If she wants to go down the Android route for a change, I would suggest Google Pixel. The 6A for example is a model that has a screen that isn't outrageously large, has a very well respected camera, and years of updates alongside decent performance without spending too much money again. If you want more, they have newer and better models in the range if you want to spend more.

The Honor is a good phone, And I have had a few of their flagships in the past and really liked them. But the Magic 4 Pro you mention is enormous. Especially if she is coming from an old style iPhone it's going to feed ridiculous to handle and if she doesn't have huge hands.
    Author
    Thanks for the reply. You made some good points. I'll have a look at the Google pixel if she's not impressed guess she will have to stay with apple . Thanks again
    You said you want to get your wife a new phone, she's happy with her iPhone 6s so the logical sequence would be to get her the next iPhone upgrade such as the iPhone se 2020. Essentially the same phone but much upgraded components

Best not to rock the boat too much and keep things simple

If you're adamant about getting her an android instead, I'd recommend a Google Pixel 6A which can be had for £300 or less brand new or even cheaper used.
    Author
    Thanks for the help. I'll show her the Google phones. I'd like to keep away from apple but her choice at the end of the day. Not an apple hater but made the jump years ago from apple and best thing I ever did. But will show her the iPhone se. Cheers
    You haven’t mentioned a budget?
    Author
    Honor magic 4 pro is £750 with watch and case. But that's about how much I'd go. She doesn't really use a high end phone but would like a good camera for family photos.
    Take a look at Oppo Find X3 Neo. Very similar to P30 Pro in almost all aspects (albeit it has 90hz refresh rate).
    Author
    Will take a look now. Cheers
    Author
    Well thought I'd update as I forgot to. Got a Samsung s22 and I'm impressed. Then my Huawei p30 locked up so I went for the Samsung s22 ultra. Really good phones. Thanks again for all the help.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants