PC won't boot anything

Posted 31st Mar 2023
Hi
I'm supposed to be fixing a friends PC. First it would turn on but nothing was output from VGA port (didn't have graphics card at the time). This PC was working when I last fixed it 8 years ago but has just been sitting not plugged in all that time. I bought a new motherboard, fitted it in.

It turns on but when I try to put in a USB drive to install Windows, it freezes. I saw the actual dot circle freeze when loading Windows 10, Windows 7 just seemed to stay shimmering but nothing else happened. I have just tried a memtest usb and that has just had a blinking cursor on black background, nothing seems to be loading. Have I got a dud motherboard? It came with 2GB ddr3 and have tried that and the 4GB ddr3 I had already but the same. This is a old mobo for a old CPU, Asus P5G41T-M-LX and a E5500 CPU, recognised fine in bios. Could it be the PSU? it's only 210W, I noticed the 12v rail was something like 11.77v in bios. Have loaded default settings in bios. I have another PSU I can test I guess. It also has a GT 710 in it. Both Windows usb's were MBR in rufus as it doesn't have a UEFI bios. memtest should be able to do either.

Any thoughts?
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    AndyRoyd
    It turns on but when I try to put in a USB drive to install Windows, it freezes...
    ...Both Windows usb's were MBR in rufus as it doesn't have a UEFI bios.

The above implies you have a bootable USB containing a Windows ISO,
    in which case the bootable USB is inserted into USB port prior to boot, not after.
    Zek Author
    I wrote that wrong, I do have the USB plugged in before boot. I have it set to boot from USB first, the SSD I'm using is blank. I'm definetly thinking the PSU has had it now, the 12v just seems too low. Will see tomorrow when I get my spare PSU out of the loft
    IAmATeaf
    The 12v always dips when in use and is within the +- specs which I think is 5%
    Zek Author
    I tried my 600w PSU and the 12v was well over 12v but it still had the same problem. Tried both CPU's and 3 different RAM sticks. Just freezes when loading WIndows 7 or 10 splash screen just before install. Messaged seller and he said it was working and he tested it, he comes across as trustworthy. Will tell friend to scrap it, it's only a dual core CPU, may keep HD and DVD writer if he wants to reuse them in something else. Can get a fairly decent PC off eBay for under £50, a lot better than this one at least!
    AndyRoyd
    Before scrapping it, maybe test for successful boot with a light WinPE installation loaded from USB?

A basic option requiring only a relatively small file download, auto-burn to USB and some integral tools is available from Aomei at
    ubackup.com/pe-…tml

or the two obvious WinPE contenders for tinkerers complete with large number of tools (legit or otherwise) would be
    Gandalf’s Windows 10PE (example ref archive.is/X85Y7)
    and
    Sergei Strelec WinPE (example ref archive.is/PNNTz)
    although if acquiring from those sources there will be the faff of un-rar & Rufus.
    Zek Author
    Thanks, but I have handed the PC back to him now, I still have the mobo, a CPU and RAM though, it's just an old Pentium 4 and 2GB Ram it came with. I tried Memtest and Active@Killdisk on a CD but neither of them loaded either. Would just freeze, but one time it said something about a hardware error. The seller was convinced it was working he even said he would replace it if I sent it back. I bought a i5-4570 off ebay only £30 with no HD, thinking my friend would want it but he said to leave it, I might give it to my nephew though. I didn't have the heart to ask him for the £12 for the mobo that didn't work lol

I tried his original board with my PSU and used a graphics card, it was more than just the VGA port not working as that still had no monitor output, you could see no hard drive activity either, so something was wrong with that, probably capacitors I expect, it was working in 2015 when I last fixed it though, it hadn't been plugged in all that time though and yes I changed the battery (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants