Prescription only from vet?

Posted 31st Mar 2023
Is it possible to just get a prescription from a vet and buy the medication online.
My dog needs some Apoquel allergy tablets but last time I got them from the vet they charged nearly £50 when I can get them for less than £1 from pet drugs online, but need a vet’s prescription.
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    sustar
    Yes you should be able to,

I have done that once for buying prescription for the medication required from our vet and then submitting prescription online to an online vet for cheaper price for the actual medication.

With cost of prescription and then paying for medication it was still cheaper than getting it direct from the vet.

I think I was charged around £18 for prescription only around 2 years ago. (edited)
    windym
    Yes, a vet is legally obliged to provide a prescription for you to purchase wherever you like. However, they are able to charge for supplying it.
    Simonthepieman
    Expect to pay £20 or thereabouts for the signed piece of paper/prescription you'll need to order online
    bobdylan
    Price of a prescription from a vet varies but expect to pay between £20 - £30
    pfpf
    Apoquel is brilliant. We get a prescription and buy online too.
    cycleman Author
    Where do you buy yours? Think I made a mistake on the price.....
    pfpf
    Animed Direct.
    Nikita_Percival
    Yep just ask for a prescription but try and ask for one with 3 repeats on it to get more out of it. We get them all the time in pharmacy and even the vets now bring them up to us now
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants