Program to find duplicate files on PC

Posted 8th Apr 2023
Morning, folks

Does anybody know of a program (preferably free) which can locate the same, duplicated files (songs/photos/documents) on a Windows PC so I can free up some space? This would hopefully find the same file but with perhaps a different name.

Does such a program exist?

Thanks, people
Community Updates
New Comment

19 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    List all of your images in size order. You will soon see the duplicates. Works the same with music tracks. Just play the first couple of seconds. Or use a music player and delete your duplicates. But a larger file could be the extended remix, or better quality. The name is not enough.
    Unless you know they are exactly the same, you can't do this with PDF or text files as they also included character count, and you might throw out the legally valid, and keep the nonsense.
    Software does exist, but I choose not to use Windows, so I can't help. But a search for "free duplicate file finder" should bring results (edited)
    [deleted]
    Author
    I'm ashamed I didn't know such a simple powercell script as this.... 🙃
    Just remember that most of the free software comes with unwanted extras.
    Don't be lazy and take the recommended install. Take the expert option and uncheck all the unnecessary crap
    CC cleaner has that function. Tristans suggestion works well though. You'll need a little bit of savvy...

Search *. * (that's star dot star), and sort by size. Will be slow if you've hdds, not ssds.

Prior to that you'll want to show file extensions as well, just to be safe.

My general tip, once you've found your first dupe, look at the folder structure it's in. Might well be able to prune a accidentally copied folder once, rather than the 2000 files inside it one at a time...
    CCleaner
    ALLdup (edited)
    DoubleKiller
    Tried a few, this was the best:
    i-DeClone

Was on discount on BitsDuJour quite recently, but deal gone now.
    Author
    Thanks for all your input and suggestions
    Let us know.how you get on
    My go-to has been CloneSpy, it was clean of junkware when I last ran it. As above, check that there's no junkware bundled with recent versions. And for safety, download from CloneSpy's own website clonespy.com/

I've found it handy for cleaning up MP3 libraries where iTunes etc has made a hash of things.
    I've used Visipics in the past for duplicate images but I think it's for images within one folder
    Before looking for duplicate files I would install a file size visualiser like windirstat (perfectly safe and very small) which allows you to see where the biggest files on a specific drive are hiding.

49948626-5WEvk.jpg
    It might be that you have an enormous file or cache knocking about that can quickly free up 10gb+ that you didn’t know existed.

Will save you a lot of time in the first instance especially if you only want to free up a gig or two.
    I use Duplicate Cleaner Pro

Latest release is V5, but with V4 you get 14 day free trial

Link to Version 4

digitalvolcano.co.uk/dcd…tml (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants