Recall on the Fitbit Ionic - 1.7 Million units being recalled due to potential burn risk

Posted 2nd Mar 2022
If you bought a Fitbit Ionic then you'll need to submit a form to enable you to get a refund on your purchase. This comes after Fitbit aanounced that there were battery issues that could potentially lead to burns. - Source - Daily Mail

This affects watches purchased between September 2017 to December 2021. If you know someone that may have one, give them a shout. One of our moderators has completed this form and has been told there will be a 3-6 week wait on the refund.

All the information from Fitbit can be found HERE
There's a big FAQ should you have any questions on that link too.

OR go straight to the recall form and select "United Kingdom from the drop down menu"

"CONSUMER NOTICE
We announced a voluntary recall of Fitbit Ionic smartwatches, which the company introduced in 2017 and stopped producing in 2020. The battery in the Ionic smartwatch can overheat, posing a burn hazard.

The health and safety of Fitbit users is our highest priority. We are taking this action out of an abundance of caution for our users. We will offer a refund to Fitbit Ionic customers.

This recall is specific to Fitbit Ionic devices. It does not impact any other Fitbit smartwatches or trackers.

If you own a Fitbit Ionic, please stop using your device.

For information on how to receive a refund, visit our refund center. You can also receive access to a special discount on select Fitbit devices, bands, and services, if available in your region, for a limited time.

Additional details regarding this recall are provided in the FAQ below. If you have any questions not answered below, you can call customer service. Click here to find your local phone number."

3898339_1.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

487 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    redduck
    In case anyone's thinking about buying a Samsung galaxy watch instead of another Fitbit, the Samsung site is offering a £60 discount if you trade in a fitbit Ionic. I'm sure some of you will still have them in drawers somewhere, after the refund

You can usually buy the Watch 4 for cheaper elsewhere but you also get a free dual wireless charger (supposedly worth £79) and an additional 20% off if you buy the Watch with earbuds. It really depends on if you are in the Samsung ecosystem but I thought it was worth pointing out

samsung.com/uk/…uy/
    47357716-ReQAE.jpg
    v1nny77
    just to confirm that the ionic stops working pretty much straight away, which is a shame as it's not going to track my run today for my vitality points... but here is the price list for a replacement fitbit
    47012048-k8Er5.jpg
    a5h73y
    Just to answer some questions on here.
    The only requirements it has is that the device was previously linked to you account and is currently still linked to your account (no proof of purchase required). Mine wasn't actively linked, so I dug out the charger, got it to 5% charge then managed to pair it to my phone / account and then I was then eligible.
    Once you've passed validation it will say it will remotely disable the device in a week, then your refund will be issued (I chose paypal) within 4-6 weeks. You do not need to send the device back, instead it will be a paperweight that you'll need to dispose of.

I'm not sure if you buy a used device it will allow you to apply for a recall because it seemed that it needed to be previously linked to your account, but I have no idea.

p.s. If the Register button seems disabled, click off the dropdown and wait a few seconds.
    No £ amount was mentioned during the process. (edited)
    tommyt
    47008597-LJt5e.jpg
    Can confirm it is $299 after speaking with CS
    Stronz91
    Bought a 2nd hand off eBay, will see if I can sign up for the refund. I expect there to be a "registered at least x weeks/months" to prevent, but equally people may have had one in their drawers for years and suddenly be reading the news so...who knows.
    Been eyeing the Fitbit Sense for awhile now so if this works then I'll be happy.

I'll be sure to report back unless someone tests before me. (edited)
    bhavani123
    You can order any strap, also fitbit premium for one year for free
    redduck
    Markp199116/03/2022 19:46

Do the new watches come in cellophane/in sealed individual boxes? @redduck

They have reduced the plastic packaging so they came with a thin plastic pull tab to keep the box sealed. They were definitely new, if that's a concern (edited)
    v1nny77
    pinkball03/03/2022 14:42

Cheers for that. Is it a choice of just those three devices?

correct... just those three models, but you can choose different colours
    Xykjn
    My Ionic is temperamental at the best of times, I'll gladly take a full refund for it!
    Aydin_G
    Cricky03/03/2022 16:48

I haven't seen the code yet (my email was corrupted) but I hear it's 40% …I haven't seen the code yet (my email was corrupted) but I hear it's 40% if you buy from the Fitbit site. My initial email said the my Ionic would be desynced within 7 days. It might have happened already, I haven't checked!

On the 40%, do you know what devices are included? I'm hesitant to try as you can only use the code once.

slipd03/03/2022 16:44

What is the code worth that they send you? - I'm guessing it'll still work …What is the code worth that they send you? - I'm guessing it'll still work out cheaper buying from the likes of Amazon/Argos/Currys etc., even without a code?Any just to clarify, once you apply, they deactivate your Fitbit? I'll have to get a replacement lined up in the interim if so, I go mad if I can't record my steps etc.

It's 40% off fitbit devices but doesn't say which ones.
    They said they'll deactivate within 7 days and refund within 3 to 6 weeks. (edited)
    spaceman
    Lord.Deckard04/03/2022 13:50

How long is it taking for the confirmation email and discount code to come …How long is it taking for the confirmation email and discount code to come through? Registered at 10am today but still not seen anything, nothing in my junk folder either.

I did yesterday, and still have had neither.
    TobiRIP

How long is it taking for the confirmation email and discount code to come …How long is it taking for the confirmation email and discount code to come through? Registered at 10am today but still not seen anything, nothing in my junk folder either.

Under half an hour for both of mine, if it makes a difference mine were both legit though
    leeblack83

I did registration and verification yesterday and still no confirmation email or discount code
    slipd
    redduck05/03/2022 08:33

I'm glad it worked I'm holding out to buy the same as you but I'm …I'm glad it worked I'm holding out to buy the same as you but I'm going to wait until I see the money in my hands before I spend it. Do you get to choose which spare band you get?

Yep, loads of colours in two different sizes from what I recall. I think the discount code stands for 90 days from issue, so you've got a bit of time
    highdon
    Pe_te04/03/2022 12:38

Be cautious of some of these eBay listings, like this one: …Be cautious of some of these eBay listings, like this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313895822506?hash=item4915a624aa:g:wioAAOSwxvNiHfMbI'm certain some people will sell off these as 'received in a bulb batch without a charger' and people might take a punt in the hope of sticking a new battery/screen on it for the refund, only to find it won't sync because it's been refunded already.One available from CEX, collection only from Wandsworthhttps://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=0816137027960b&categoryName=smartwatches&superCatName=electronics&title=fitbit-ionic-smartwatch-ink-blue-ice-grey-b-*-dnu-recall-*&referredFrom=basket-buy

I bought one from CeX that was supposedly available in store local to me which I hoped to collect this morning, but I just received an email saying it is no longer available and that they would ship one to my address... I have doubts that it will be delivered at all to be honest.
    Markp1991
    sammyer199606/03/2022 20:51

anyone else having trouble with the reference code not found error? I got …anyone else having trouble with the reference code not found error? I got my code yesterday morning and it still doesn't accept it on the fitbit site for step 2. I also re-registered to get a second reference code and I did that at 4 today and that doesn't work either and I have tried both. Anyone had this issue and managed to solve it? Thanks

Yeah me, I can only imagine they are backlogged
    manka
    sammyer199606/03/2022 20:51

anyone else having trouble with the reference code not found error? I got …anyone else having trouble with the reference code not found error? I got my code yesterday morning and it still doesn't accept it on the fitbit site for step 2. I also re-registered to get a second reference code and I did that at 4 today and that doesn't work either and I have tried both. Anyone had this issue and managed to solve it? Thanks

I've got this on one of my fitbits... waiting for support to get back to me
    woodvale
    So for those that went through registration, got the reference code email, but the verify process failed saying "code not found", there is hope, but with patience.

I registered on March 3, got the first email with reference code that didn't work that day or the day after. Lodged case with Fitbit support who said that they would disable it manually and I should get the discount email as soon as it was done. No email by March 6 so I started the registration again and got another code which also didn't work, neither did the original one, even after 3 days. Rang support again who said they would escalate it but that it would take some time.

That brings us to tonight, still no discount email and Ionic still syncing. I was about to ring them again but on a whim I tried phase 2 again with the original reference code from a week ago and IT WORKED, discount email just come through while typing this. The Ionic was removed from my account about 10 minutes after I deactivated it.

So either it is taking many days for the codes to get to Fitbit from sedgwick.com or Fitbit have fixed a fault in their systems. (edited)
    bhoy78
    Just noticed they have already started my fitbit premium service on my current fitbit. I assumed it would have started day my new watch arrived
    Tking
    edmoss18/03/2022 11:26

Haven't ordered a replacement yet, Deciding if it'll provide more health …Haven't ordered a replacement yet, Deciding if it'll provide more health tracking accuracy to my Mi band 5 and future Mi band 7.Also, there is a mothers day sale on atm, wonder if we can improve on the £98 for the sense?

The mothers day sale doesn't discount the sense for those with the recall code. Still £168.

If anyone comes across a discount code please share, though I doubt anything will come before the Mother's day sale ends.
    Markp1991
    Renshy21/03/2022 07:34

Any refunds arriving yet

Probably be more like the 6 weeks
    Stronz91
    bhoy7830/03/2022 22:57

What were the other refund options? My friend didn't ask for a PayPal …What were the other refund options? My friend didn't ask for a PayPal refund and he seems to think he will need to add bank details at a later date.Was the other option a prepaid card with the refund on it?

Yeah, either a prepaid card will be sent, or paypal.
    bhoy78
    redduck31/03/2022 10:37

I assume they can do that as an automated process so they'll go through …I assume they can do that as an automated process so they'll go through quickly. I wish I'd opted for PayPal. Waiting for a card through the post is going to be a pain

My friend called them, he didn't opt for PayPal. He was told they were processing them in week order and as he applied for his a few days after mine he will get it next week.

He has moved address very recently and was concerned incase it was a prepaid card through the door. He was told he will recieve an email when his is processed asking for bank details, so maybe worth checking your junk mail folder?
    bhoy78
    redduck31/03/2022 17:03

I haven't had my refund yet but the link to request a discount code is in …I haven't had my refund yet but the link to request a discount code is in the email confirming the refund. You may have missed it, it's not very clear

My friend has just text saying he has just recieved an email with his virtual card to spend online. He doesn't see an option to pay it into your bank account. This goes against what he was told via the phone this morning as he was expecting an email with a link to follow. No idea if you can send the payment to PayPal then withdraw to bank account.

Hopefully you get yours soon.
    manka
    Hi, I added the card to PayPal and then sent my wife the balance. Worked well but it's cost be 223
    manka
    spyke300331/03/2022 20:24

I tried adding it to PayPal but it said it needed extra verification?

You might need to add your phone number to the digital card, after I added it to PayPal I was sent a message to verify the addition to PayPal.
    redduck
    bhavani12301/04/2022 10:29

I have got email from : Fitbitionicrecall@myglobaloptions.com [Image] Is …I have got email from : Fitbitionicrecall@myglobaloptions.com [Image] Is it genuine or spam?

It's genuine. That's what I had too
    bhavani123
    Aydin_G01/04/2022 20:04

Have you managed to process this? I got the same message and its asking me …Have you managed to process this? I got the same message and its asking me to register.

Yes, I have registered and got my virtual card
    redduck
    Jake61102/04/2022 00:42

Has anyone started the recall process, verified the account and entered …Has anyone started the recall process, verified the account and entered the reference number but not had their device disabled? Its been 10 plus days like this for me

I suggest you go through the process again. Everyone else had their device disabled within minutes or hours. There's a high chance your refund wont be processed in your situation (edited)
    TobiRIP
    jjmmww102/04/2022 07:55

Anyone had any luck in returning it to Argos as well?

Some people got a refund from john lewis I think, I got an email from Very but it said to contact fitbit directly
    redduck
    Pe_te07/04/2022 17:50

Are you able to share the email address it was sent from and the title? I …Are you able to share the email address it was sent from and the title? I have so many messages in spam, I'm worried I'll miss it

It was from Fitbitionicrecall@myglobaloptions.com

Hope it's there
    Penguin44
    Week 9 now for me.

What I think has happened, is more models have now become known to have the same fault.....

androidcentral.com/wea…uit

So it's gone from 1.3 million devices to probably, tens of millions of devices and I think all refunds have been put on hold.

Their email, Twitter, Facebook, customer services number and theirs ionic refund number are a just giving us the run around, sending us to each department in circles.

All the forums and conversations where people are ranting and raving are having their comments deleted and then banned from posting at all.

FITBIT seem to be in some real trouble
    random_dude
    Toybhoy02/03/2022 17:10

What if you bought it 2nd hand?

It'll probably burn your 2nd hand too
    trojan34
    I know they say.... "you gotta feel the burn" but thats just ridiculous.
    bazpoint
    From my experience of multiple Fitbit devices over the years, the chances of anyone having a working Fitbit that was released 4+ years ago is somewhere between slim and zero.

Best thing they can do for Fitbit owners is send them a note saying "Buy a Garmin".
    CluelessIntellect
    Just purged the eBay stock of these, bought about 35 of them ranging from £90-£150, will see what happens
    johnc77
    Stronz9129/03/2022 10:23

Has anyone received their refunds?

Not yet it's nearly been 4 weeks, although 3 since I got a a comfirmation , I'd imagine it will go to the 6 weeks.

On the Fitbit forums no one else has yet.
    JoShmo
    "One of our moderators has completed this form and has been told there will be a 3-6 wait on the refund".

3-6 what though?
    Days, weeks months?
    Thanks.
    JGiles
    A company carrying on selling a product they knew over 3 years ago was defective… who’d have thought
's avatar
Top Merchants