Repair drift joy-cons for free at Nintendo official repair center

Posted 17th Sep 2020
nintendoservicecentre.co.uk/rep…/11

Just a gentle reminder that your drift joy-cons could be repaired for free at Nintendo official repair center.

It's quite easy, you just need to submit an online application and send the drift joy-cons to their repair center.

Step1: Submit online repair application via the following link.
nintendoservicecentre.co.uk/rep…/11
You may need to provide some information, such as the date of purchase, serial number of console. And you will receive an email with postage instructions after submitting the online application.

Step2: Print the postage label and securely package the Joy-cons. Drop off the parcel at the post office.

Step3: Nintendo customer service would keep you updated with the repair process.

The following screenshot is one of the emails I received from Nintendo. It seems Nintendo replaced the Joy-con stick. I have received the returned parcel today, and now my joy-cons are working properly without the drift issue. Besides, the warranty of all Joy-cons have been extended for another 12 months.

3545405.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

28 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    fireman1
    I'd assume that between Nintendo and Microsoft someone could make sodding controllers that don't drift!!
    Sid.Harper
    SAMFRMLONDON17/09/2020 22:10

You need receipt and under warranty nothing new

Rubbish. Just got ours back yesterday. Didn’t provide receipt. Said it was a gift. Took about 10 days.
    how2
    Does this apply for out of Warrenty items?
    Steve_Mcdermott
    You also need to provide proof of purchase. Not something everyone will have if it was purchased some time ago.
    dragonsmum

My daughter's joycon was fixed for free by Nintendo. Her Switch was out of warranty and they never asked for date or proof of purchase.
    Sid.Harper
    dragonsmum17/09/2020 22:13

My daughter's joycon was fixed for free by Nintendo. Her Switch was out …My daughter's joycon was fixed for free by Nintendo. Her Switch was out of warranty and they never asked for date or proof of purchase.

This guy always makes firm false statements.
    Dannyrobbo

my Joycon was fixed out of warranty, I didn’t provide a receipt. They had to have a couple of goes at it though
    Rukanau
    I have had my Joy-Cons repaired twice out of warranty and with no proof of purchase, had my Swich since launch, free of charge, The only downside is that you need to forget about them for about 4-6 weeks.
    CmcBkVlln
    Also should state other than losing your joycons for 3-4 weeks, it's a first class service
    niconelove
    how217/09/2020 22:01

Mine were well out of warranty and they done mine
    wrekh
    They are charging me £30 for unrelated "cosmetic" problem. From what I'm reading online they don't do partial repairs. Utterly useless service. I get a feeling they are trying to find any excuse to not provide those repairs. (edited)
    Anonymous User
    I'd assume it would be free anyway? Under warranty or guarantee (edited)
    bakteriak
    I can confirm that they fix it for free. Confirm that you have receipt (they never asked to show proof). Make sure you add all other details. My Nintendo was out of warranty.
    Mikey446
    Should be okay out of warranty, my console is over 12 months old and had both controllers fixed last month.

Unfortunately one is drifting again within a week of getting it fixed...
    Ukdealman
    I don’t think this applies to OOW items. Only USA had the class action that allows limitless repairs for free. You may find they’ll drop you a hefty bill for repair
    lemoncorn Author
    how217/09/2020 22:01

I think warranty does not matter. It should applly to all drift joy-cons. My switch was purchased on early 2018, now Nintendo repaired my drift joy-cons for free.

You can find more details in the following article.
    ign.com/art…irs
    SAMFRMLONDON
    Shockey
    Thanks my left joy con started drifted to the left
    DodgeySolenoid
    The drifting joy-cons are so easy to fix and, the parts can be had very cheaply. Better than having your Switch out of action for a week or two.
    Rockpaperfunko
    Has anyone had their pro controller fixed? One of ours is absolutely awful.
    CmcBkVlln
    You need proof of purchase.

Both of mine were out of warranty. They sent me a quote to fix, I sent them a gobby reply, essentially got told between the lines Nintendo will never state they are repairing joycons out of warranty for free but they do
    noahsdad
    Has anyone had a Joycon battery replaced out of warranty. I got a new green con when first came out but it only had about a third of the battery capacity and only charges to 1/3. Just lived with it and never did anything about it.
    Assured_Brother
    How do I test for drift? I want to check it's not my playing ability that's gone out the window with age vs a drifting controller....
    moschops1
    Do you send just the joy cons or the whole unit?
    DrWig
    I just sent off a two month old joycon (XMas gift with the switch) as one of the buttons wasn't working. Just got an email back from Nintendo saying it's NOT covered by the warranty! It's barely been used (we bought two extra with the console) and is two months old......their warranty is worthless. I've contacted to complain, obvs........
    sarah.gibbon
    DrWig03/03/2021 22:52

I just sent off a two month old joycon (XMas gift with the switch) as one …I just sent off a two month old joycon (XMas gift with the switch) as one of the buttons wasn't working. Just got an email back from Nintendo saying it's NOT covered by the warranty! It's barely been used (we bought two extra with the console) and is two months old......their warranty is worthless. I've contacted to complain, obvs........

Hi, did you hear anything back from this? I messaged Nintendo customer support and was told without warranty or proof of purchase there would be a charge, but it seems like a lot of people are saying they did not have to pay for this even when there was no warranty or proof of purchase.
    This isn't great. My Switch was a gift and obvs I have no proof of purchase but this is a design fault, not something I have caused myself so I feel I am being taken advantage of by Nintendo here.
    Just.Wondering
    wrekh14/03/2022 10:45

They are charging me £30 for unrelated "cosmetic" problem. From what I'm …They are charging me £30 for unrelated "cosmetic" problem. From what I'm reading online they don't do partial repairs. Utterly useless service. I get a feeling they are trying to find any excuse to not provide those repairs.

I had a similar issue, sent back for free drift repair, but then they tried to say one of the joycon batteries had an issue... Basically I felt like they where making up the 2nd issue, so they could charge a fee.

Very unfair and unscrupulous, if my suspicions are correct.

Only way round it was to find my 12 month valid warranty.. If it was out of the 12 months, they would have charged me.

Nasty business. (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants