Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

ROG Ally Z1 Extreme handheld Windows gaming device £699.99 at ASUS

Posted 11th May 2023
Preorder for June 13th release now live.

There will be a non-Extreme variant (slower CPU) model going live at a later date for £599.

Info added by @Sashecuador

Any Game, Anywhere
Person sitting in a library, playing with the Ally at a table.
ME TIME:GAMING HANDHELD
Sink deep into your favourite AAA or indie games and watch the hours melt away with an expansive Full HD 120Hz display and incredibly comfortable ergonomics.
6607472761683821383.jpgHOME ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM
Share the fun by connecting to a TV and pairing multiple controllers, instantly transforming the Ally into a formidable couch game console.
18749080821683821401.jpgPRO TIME:FULL THROTTLE GAMING
For a truly top-tier experience, pair the Ally with an XG Mobile external GPU, monitor, mouse, and keyboard for esports and high-fidelity 4K gaming.
16176209891683821417.jpgGame Library
Owning games in multiple launchers can make for a frustrating, fractured library. We designed a Special Edition of Armoury Crate just for the Ally, designed to sort and seamlessly launch all of your games from one place, no matter where they’re installed.
15403597181683821447.jpgDiscover your next favourite game
Play Minecraft Legends and hundreds of other games on ROG Ally with 3 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate*, letting you hit the ground running with all of the latest games. With games added all the time, there’s always something new to play.

Windows Hello
Log in to the Ally quickly and securely with a Windows Hello fingerprint reader integrated with the power button, no PIN required. If you accidentally leave your Ally unattended, your data is secure.

Parental Control
For younger users, parents can limit app or screen time, see spending summaries, and track their kids’ locations with powerful parental controls.

The icon of Defender shield
Windows Defender
Windows Defender provides robust security for your device, with constantly updated antivirus and malware protection.

Born for Handheld Gaming
AMD’s brand-new Ryzen™ Z1 Extreme APU powers this incredible gaming machine. Built on the cutting edge 4nm process, this silicon features both the Zen 4 architecture and brand new RDNA™ 3 graphics. Featuring incredible upscaling technologies like FidelityFX™ Super Resolution and Radeon™ Super Resolution, the Ally can boost framerates while retaining excellent image quality. Choose from three different operating modes to balance performance and power usage, from Silent Mode's 9W to Performance Mode's 15W all the way up to Turbo Mode's 25W (or 30W when connected to AC power). ROG worked in close collaboration with AMD to unleash the full potential of this cutting-edge hardware, and the Ryzen™ Z1 Extreme is here to take the gaming world by storm.

Zen4
Architecture
RDNA™ 3
Graphics
Cores

4nm
Process
Teraflops
Threads

MicroSD Expansion
If you have a larger game library, the Ally has you covered. A dedicated UHS-II microSD card slot allows you to effortlessly add high-speed storage to your machine, letting you keep more of your games installed and ready to play. Boasting nearly the same load times as the dedicated PCIe Gen 4 SSD, you’ll never need to worry where you store your games.

PCIE Gen4 SSD icon
PCI Express 4.0 SSD
Featuring up to 512GB of lightning-fast PCIe Gen 4 storage courtesy of an M.2 2230 SSD, you’ll have plenty of space for all your games and ultra-fast boot times.
DDR5 icon
Powerful LPDDR5 6400 Memory
The Ally’s LPDDR5-6400 memory keeps the Ryzen™ APU fed with data at a moment’s notice, letting the Z1 Extreme put its best foot forward.

Game on the go
Play your favourite games and content for hours without worrying about a charger. Enjoy up to 2 hours of gaming locally on the device, with up to 6.8 hours for both cloud gaming and video playback. The Ally also supports fast charging, enabling it to charge from 0-50% in just 30 minutes.
8355989971683821595.jpgZero Gravity Thermal System
The ROG Ally is designed to let you play anywhere, so it needed a thermal solution to match. Traditional thermal solutions count on gravity to help heat pipes cycle heat out of the system, but with a specially constructed pipe that uses a mesh, the Ally truly defies gravity.
14023016961683821615.jpg
Community Updates
Permanent Offers
New Comment

163 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    pcastley
    I’ve preordered today from Currys using a 10% off voucher code from work.
    Does anyone else fancy trying the code? £629 and £3 odd from Quidco.
    pcastley
    Ok. Looks like I can only generate 1 code every 24 hours.
    “Gonebackhome” I’ll get you your code in the morn.
    “Misa426” I’ll get you a code on Thursday if you can wait. But will see if anyone else at work can generate one. (edited)
    Richard_Collinson
    videocardz.com/new…are
    ASUS ROG Ally gets up to 20% boost in 15/25W gaming with new firmware
    Tellly
    What’s with the conversion!

$699 is about £559
    €699 which is £610
    and the UK gets £699!

I was only just considering getting this if it was £600 which is at the limit.

The reviews look great with amazing performance however battery life doesn’t seem improved at all in comparison to the Steamdeck. Think price needs to come down abit before it is truly competitive. (edited)
    Shaftydude
    You forget, its the VAT.
    manicminor
    Waste of money.
    GoneBackHome
    That depends what you are looking for, laptops with this spec cost £1000. For some having portable Windows 11 which is also a gaming machine/media/productivity machine in one is a great asset, therego, this is not a waste of money in terms of what else is available but sure, if you can't afford it/don't like it then it can be considered a waste of money just like everything else.
    GoneBackHome
    Wow to the emulation this machine can acheive. its shaping up to be a Hot release. AVX12 instruction set on Rzen 7000 series is a massive boon for this machine.
    misa426
    Does it have any use for Nintendo game emulation like the GameCube dolphin and Nintendo Wii and Nintendo switch emulation?
    tempt
    Cheaper to build a gaming PC, this is a rip off.
    johnboylan12
    Good luck getting your desktop onto the train.
    shadrach
    Was contemplating this despite having a Steam Deck, but the GBP pricing has killed any interest I had.

Not sure how they convert $699 to £699, even allowing for the fact that the US price doesn't have sales tax incorporated. Should have been £649 at most.
    HeyPablo Author
    I don't like it either, but Apple and Nvidia have added the same premium to UK pricing over the last six months.
    StuartHunt
    Will stick with my Steam Deck, amazing bit of kit!
    chrisual_.
    Never going to buy anything that uses £1 = $1 exchange rate. Moved off Apple for this.
    pb-live
    It doesn’t use $1=£1 it uses $1 plus vat plus a little extra to compensate for fluctuations plus economic scale for our smaller island. Not as catchy but more factually correct. (edited)
    Trogador
    I remember watching a bunch of YouTubers and their thoughts on this, stating that if it was a similar price to the Steam Deck then it could be very competitive...however at £699 they're definitely the premium option!

After spending a lot of time playing BotW this week on my Switch OLED, I genuinely think the screen makes such a huge difference. Are Steam Deck/ROG Ally much more powerful? Yes...but the screens look so cheap and dated that it's genuinely offputing
    vinsona85
    ROG Ally is supposed to be alot better than SD.
    Maladog
    Just don't enable EXPO
    Arkz
    Doubt they're putting X3Ds in these lol.
    DJSyko
    It won't have anywhere near the support that the Steam Deck has with Valve. Sure the hardware is significantly better, but you are buggered if there's bugs with the system etc. SD is regularly updated.
    pb-live
    It’s ASUS, they’re normally pretty good. Not like they’re some 2 bit start up Chinese company.  They’ve been around a fair few years. You might have heard of them. They made a couple of laptops and a few bits of PC equipment. (edited)
    SmokeyB
    I'm going to hold off after watching Gamer Nexus video on ASUS. Atrocious customer service.
    Richard_Collinson
    Known as ASUS tax. That's the general user experience for using ASUS products you pay tax for their crap products. This does make the steam deck extinct overnight though.
    thelagmonster
    The pre-release coverage on this was hilarious, with an embarrassing number of people speculating that ASUS might price this aggressively to compete with the Deck.

It was obvious they weren't going to do that - Valve is taking a hit on their hardware to get people into / deeper into their ecosystem, selling the hardware as a loss leader to drive software sales. ASUS don't have a market-leading software platform to push, so they need to make money on the device.

Also, at this price point, not offering an OLED screen feels like massive missed opportunity. (edited)
    pb-live
    A 120hz OLED would most likely see at least £200-£300 added to the price. Phones can only afford it because they charge over £1000 for the phone or make the OLED panels and so can discount them. (edited)
    hellachloe
    No oled, no buy. Also windows 11 lmao.
    kyeung
    Ppl who installed Windows on the SD had reports battery drained alot faster I believe. But if you need Windows anyways may benefit some
    Richard_Collinson
    The Steam Wreck's will be piled so high in CEX you won't get in the door!
    ripkord
    doubt it
    Minstadave
    Anyone else getting charged for shipping?
    skinrush
    There was a free shipping option for me, along with 2 other paid options.
    Sp0oner
    The price conversion looks crap and i hate it but in reality these prices are without tax in the US so convert to sterling (£560) then add on the vat for the UK and you get close to the asking price. It’s ruled me out at under £600 I would have been interested but not at these prices.
    tempt
    Considerably cheaper compared to Euroland pricing (€799).
    GoneBackHome
    Ordered.
    liltman
    When I heard this would be a "Steam killer" I knew it wouldn't in the UK. Maybe in the US.
    To kill anything in competition for me personally it has to be cheaper or the same price as their base model and this is so far above that lol.
    AnkerMan
    How is this a deal? Why the heat? Are the bots losing their minds? And will Jenifer Aniston ever find love? Stay tuned......
    Sp0oner
    Yep its rrp and more announcing its availability than a deal.
    Termeh
    It looks good but 700 quid with no real gaming footage with FPS values yet is worrying.

I'd like this to be in the hands of people like the Phawx and Linus before sticking down some dough on this. I like the Steam Deck, but the OS and compatibility issues irk me.
    vinsona85
    this is between 50% - 100% better performance than SD.. (for the more expensive model)
    4.30mins

(edited)
    DJSyko
    Hmm still not price competitive with SD. I had high hopes for this one too.
    pb-live
    Well it is competitive considering it’s a lot more powerful and only £130 more.
    ovi_andre
    Ordered already 😏😏😏

Heat added! (edited)
    777jrg_
    Looks good but it's double the price of the deck so I'll have to pass
    GoneBackHome
    Not sold out yet on Asus store.. I just checked and purchased.
    I'm sure there will be plenty available for launch.
    flyyoufools88
    I have pre-ordered this. Can't wait.
    iMiles
    Anybody know if they take payment now or at dispatch?
    krysc4d
    I believe it will be taken on dispatch as usuall...
    ganon
    Checkout seems botched as I can't get to payment page.
    komi
    This will go well with my Z13 and XG mobile 3080, tempted but going to hold fire, may bite later on when sellling through 3rd party so i can get some cashback/discounts

Note this is not just a Steam deck competitor, this is a full fledged Windows 11 system, that is more powerful that some laptops and pc's with IGPU components. Will do great with a dock to a monitor.

I think the best all in one system (laptop/gaming/PC- IO ports) is the new WIN Max 2 which can also be bought with the GPD G1 (external GPU)

indiegogo.com/pro…ram

or you can make your own Oculink/TB3 set-up for cheap

(edited)
    KORNdoggy
    I would totally be ok paying more for a more powerful steam deck "alternative", but I'm yet to see a genuine alternative so far. They all seem to lack the control options (I wouldn't buy anything without touchpads and community made layouts at this point), they all have a windows base complete with jank UI, and they all have way worse battery life. All for more money!....and it just makes them all a really hard sell imo....the Ally doesn't seem any different sadly.

At this point I think I'd only realistically buy a steam deck pro or steam deck 2...or maybe once valve allow the competition to ship with steamOS they could just make a more powerful clone system, complete with button layout and touchpads.... That would be something I'd buy.
    ttttd
    I would have bought it straight away if it had a touchpad! The perfect handheld (one that's possible today) is just out of reach..

Freesync is a killer move for a handheld. (edited)
    og87
    Tempered. Watching lots of reviews now. Definitely annoying about the pricing, could have justified it for less with it being in the uk. Seems a bit unfair. 
    pb-live
    It’s only a few quid less.  $699 US pre tax works out at just over £670 in the UK with VAT, then things cost to import etc. people forget we’re a small island by comparison (economics of scale).  Finally, companies don’t just take the current daily exchange rate because it fluctuates so much, so they cover themselves  (edited)
    AnkerMan
    Thanks HDUk Moderators.
    HeyPablo Author
    Why don’t you go outside and take in some fresh air, mate. It will be good for you.
    Nexus162
    Any links to buy the case for the ally yet?
    flyyoufools88
    Could not find any, we always get stuff so late in the UK. Terrible we can preorder the console but no real accessories.
    Pokkai
    I don't know why people put so much stock into paid YT influencers, Steam Deck isn't dead by any means. Competition is a good thing.
    Most of the reviews are cringe. My Deck is good enough for me, and Linux offering a true alternative is significantly important too.
    Also, don't forget the perks at work 7% discount on Currys vouchers if you have access to make a dent in that £700 bricks.
    og87
    Also not paying that much and not getting free delivery. Gross
    GoneBackHome
    Free postage can be selected
    Shaftydude
    This is sold out uk right, what sellers are selling them apart from Asus direct?
    og87
    Curry’s I think will be.
    PureAlmond
    If anyone can generate and DM the code for me, I will really appreciate it.
's avatar
Top Merchants