Router/wifi extender/mesh router

Posted 25th Jun 2023
Hi, 

looking for some help if possible, im not really up to date with routers etc. I currently have virgin media as provider and the router they supplied, i have renovated the garage at the bottom of my garden (around 30m) from my current router. I would like to be able to access wifi in this new space and currently cant pick any signal up, been looking online and saw a whole range of things from a new router, wifi extenders and a mesh router system. Could anyone please suggest a solution? Ideally i dont want to be paying fortunes in the current climate but any help would be appreciated. (Side note i have a coax cable running into the garage, could this be used for a new router? Without paying extra)

thanks in advance.
Community Updates
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    A mesh system is the way to go. I use the deco M5 3 pack. They've been holding their value around the £150 mark for the past few years but i swear by them. I could hardly get signal anywher in my house and i put these up and i can get signal to the end of my drive and other surrounding places in my house
    johnlewis.com/tp-….ds
    Not sure about coax but had a tp link S4 mesh 3 pack for a few years. I have vigin 350mb and works fine ( don't get full speed everywhere but on at least 100mb everywhere). Obviously, you will want a newer version I paid about £100 (edited)
    i asked a similar question before and was told that the mesh system is the way to go.
    Mesh systems do work but they are a pricy way to go. I used to use my in Laws internet for years. They had Virgin 100 mbps and lived 100m as the crow flies from us. I just put their router on a window ledge in line of sight from ours and picked WiFi signal up using a router in repeater mode. This got us 40 mbps in most of the house , down to 20mbps in the back rooms. This was a few years back and technology has improved a bit since then. (edited)
    This set is great and should cover your needs. Cleared all of the deadspots in out house and we get full signal in the garden now with the AP that we've placed by the back door in the kitchen.

There are more expensive options which offer better coverage, but we aren't living in a mansion so this was perfectly sufficient.

amazon.co.uk/Ten…c=1 (edited)
    Hi, also new to a mesh system. Having looked at your recommendation. I see the 1st node is connected to the router via Ethernet cable, are the other nodes connected this way or are they wireless. Sorry if this is a stupid question
    Author
    Thanks all, think i may look into the mesh system then! If that fails maybe the power-line option just not sure if that will work as the power feeding the garage runs from the house but then through a separate fuse board??
    Virgin media have their own wifi extender, got sent one free a couple of years ago.Try them for a free one
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants