Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Scale bought from Amazon

Posted 20th Jan 2023
I bought a digital salter scale from Amazon. The battery CR2032 that came with it is defective. I have had to use my own battery.

I was hoping to contact Amazon to ask that they send me a new battery as replacement, but there seems to be only return option, where I would need to return the whole scale and get a new one.

Is there anyway I can chat to someone at Amazon to see if I can just get the battery as it seems a bit OTT to send the whole scale back to get another one, which could be the same as they may have sat in the warehouse for too long, so the battery has become defective.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

39 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Download the App and click chat to an agent.
    You can buy a pack of 6 from B&M for £1, I know you shouldn't have to, but jisy in case you didn't know
    Author
    thanks will try this.
    Mutley.

How did do you know it is just a faulty battery?
    Author
    i have a voltmeter so i can tell if the battery is dead. the volt reading is low even though the battery is supposedly new. i was lucky as i had CR2032 in a another device so i removed it from there and put it into the scale and it worked. most people would have just returned the scale thinking it was faulty as most people wouldn't happen to have CR2032 battery to hand and there is no point in going out to buy one to see if the scale is faulty as you would just be wasting your money if it turns out that the scale is broke and not the battery.
    You think returning it is OTT but spending time (including writing this post) trying to get a single CR2032 replaced is not? Send me your address - I will post you one
    Author
    there is little point in amazon paying for the return of the whole scale when they could simply send me a small battery as replacement. not to mention that I would have to package the whole thing up and take it to the post office to return.

this would happen if you bought the item from ebay and could speak to the seller. i can't speak to an individual on amazon, just the bot. (edited)
    Gotta love the concept that an excellent customer services outcome involves still having a non-functional product.

Most peeps would just remove the plastic insulation film...
    and/or grab a replacent / spare battery from £1shop
    Or just contact customer service on chat via the website & ask them to resolve the matter.
    it's a battery.... grow the xxxx up
    Buy one from Amazon & return the faulty one
    200 IQ there
    Author
    update - hooray..... i got to chat with customer service over the app as Toon_army advised (strange you can't get live chat on the website, but only over the app (confused))

anyhow, she said she will issue a full refund and I can keep the scale so no need to return, what??? i should have screenshot the chat as proof of no need to return, anyone know how I can get the chat history?
    You 100% can get live chat on the website, I did it just last week 
    If I were you I would write them a nice letter explaining fully the situation and questioning their returns policy. Google can be brilliant at times. What is the postal address for Amazon UK?

Amazon UK Services Ltd
    Address:4 Royal Oak Way North, DAVENTRY, Northamptonshire NN11 8QL
    Without reading everything, you may have done this, but asking for a refund but keep the item is the best thing to do, the battery is cheap, you will benefit out of this.... (edited)
    Probably my favourite thread ever
's avatar
Top Merchants