Seeking advice for faulty PS4 error code SU-42118-6

Posted 25th Apr 2023
Long story short - My 10 year old son is a dingbat. He unplugged his PS4 during a system update (because he should have been in bed and unplugging it was the quickest way to turn off and not be caught... Because he's a dingbat).

So I've followed the Sony instructions to overcome the SU-42118-6 error code. I've tried to reapply the software in safe mode, as well as from the main menu, wiped that version of the software and tried to reinstall but still get the SU-42118-6 error code. I've wiped EVERYTHING from the console and factory reset, but nothing it won't play any games (digital or hard disc).

Does anyone have experience of this and how to resolve? I've spoken to a "console repair" team and they say it's a write-off.
The console is only 3 years old, PS4 slim version. Surely that's not the end of it? Any advice from someone that's experienced this? Or where to find another console on the cheap?

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Kb64
    I would try another hard drive, they aren't too difficult to change
    ahammert
    If he unplugged during an update then my (uneducated) guess would be a corrupt hard drive. If so then you can just replace the hard drive (maybe even recover/repair it once removed?), download the system recovery/new install software from Sony to a USB stick and use it to restore/repair the PS4. Instructions here - ign.com/wik…ive
    Toon_army
    Rang my mate Keith for you, all he had to say was...

50055959-2a92f.jpg

On a serious not, 100% get a new hard drive, get an SSD for a little extra, it'll be even faster than before. Put the OS on a USB and away you go
    whiteranger87 Author
    So we're saying to upload the new software via USB before writing the unit off 🏻
    Willy_Wonka
    No. what they are saying is change the hard drive & install new software via usb at the same time.

It should cost about £10-£20 for the hard drive & no more if you have a decent usb stick.
    iWish
    You can buy a Kingston A400 480GB SSD from amazon for £21 click.
    Kb64
    I didn't know you could stick an SSD in a PS4, I know it's the same connection but for some reason I thought it probably wouldn't work
    PS5
    Why does the op have to purchase a new drive? Why can't he format / reinstall to the existing one?
    I can't see a power off having physically broken the drive?
    Kb64
    Yes you could be right, it might be worth trying to reformat the current drive and try installing the firmware again.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants