Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Selling new console on ebay advice...

Posted 2nd Nov 2020
Hey. What precautions should I take when selling a brand new console on ebay? I know to ensure recorded delivery for proof. But what else should I know to cover myself if buyer turns out to try scam me...

Should I take pics of item before and during the packaging? I'll be adding the receipt to.

Any advice to cover my back if they try scam me would be very grateful.

Kind regards,
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

Categories

44 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    crawff
    So...it’s the Scalper Vs the Scammer... better get my popcorn.
    Anonymous User
    Best advice I can give - don’t bother.

Much better to sell it for cash and actually hand it over to someone.

Even if you film the whole package journey from your house to the buyers, they can still say it wasn’t in the box as you were selling it new and sealed, in a way, you dont even know it’s in there really unless you open it prior to posting.

Not worth the hassle, too many scammers, and that comes from selling on eBay since it began.
    Blueskinnedbeast
    rimalpatel00702/11/2020 22:34

Video Record everything on phone from packaging to posting

Absolute waste of time.
    digitalOrchestra
    PS5 or Xbox series X?
    Gollywood
    Recorded (Signed for) Delivery not adequate enough.

Special Delivery as a bare minimum (edited)
    Anonymous User
    nickname_esco02/11/2020 23:00

Interesting. I'll be attaching a legit receipt with the console so if not …Interesting. I'll be attaching a legit receipt with the console so if not working it covered under warranty with the shop as paid for in cash...

After selling it on eBay, the buyer has 180 days to raise a complaint with eBay regarding pretty much anything.

You will be forced to accept the return and money will be refunded whether you like it or not.

Good luck with it though, I will be happy to reply to your ‘Help I’ve lost my console and the money after being scammed on eBay’ post within the next month or so. Have a search on here for other examples for a start.
    Anonymous User
    nickname_esco02/11/2020 22:53

Wow. I assume PayPal would look into a dispute and see my evidence and …Wow. I assume PayPal would look into a dispute and see my evidence and take into account my positive feedback over the years?

They will look into it. They will find in the buyers favour. End of.
    jamie15
    Buyer can file a SNAD and will get free console. Can't do anything to stop it. (edited)
    Blueskinnedbeast
    nickname_esco02/11/2020 22:51

What do you recommend then to cover myself please?

Sell it somewhere else.

Filming is pointless,ebay will not accept it as evidence.

Take it to CEX or similar at least they will pay the money and not try to deny delivery.
    jamie15
    deleted234448002/11/2020 23:11

After selling it on eBay, the buyer has 180 days to raise a complaint with …After selling it on eBay, the buyer has 180 days to raise a complaint with eBay regarding pretty much anything. You will be forced to accept the return and money will be refunded whether you like it or not. Good luck with it though, I will be happy to reply to your ‘Help I’ve lost my console and the money after being scammed on eBay’ post within the next month or so. Have a search on here for other examples for a start.

Slight correction. With eBay you have 30 days to open a case. 180 days is for a PayPal case which is different.
    SnoopZ
    crawff03/11/2020 06:49

So...it’s the Scalper Vs the Scammer... better get my popcorn.

So true.
    Anonymous User
    Cash on collection. The only 100% secure way.
    moneysaver80
    Record serial number and proof item is in working condition.
    nickname_esco Author
    MonkeysUncle02/11/2020 22:15

Make you you have settings to only sell to folks with good feedback etc.

How do you change settings so only those with good feedback can bid?

I've added line in description saying saying only those with over 20 feedback will be considered and other then manually cancelling buy it now offers with lower feedback duno what else I can do here...
    rimalpatel007
    Video Record everything on phone from packaging to posting
    Istanbul
    Doesn’t finish once the buyer receives the console, they can turn and say it’s not working or anything similar and eBay will force you to take it back so you be left with a 2nd hand console. Really not worth the headache, sell it on a different platform
    choccie32
    nickname_esco02/11/2020 22:53

Wow. I assume PayPal would look into a dispute and see my evidence and …Wow. I assume PayPal would look into a dispute and see my evidence and take into account my positive feedback over the years?

Your history doesn’t matter to eBay. People’s accounts are often hacked with good history and listings for low prices on high demand items added, which is just one of the reasons history shouldn’t be involved.
    Anonymous User
    nickname_esco02/11/2020 22:51

What do you recommend then to cover myself please?

Nothing your word against theirs and only one winner.
    ashmac
    Select your buyers wisely, I choose who I sell to and not sell to who ever buys it
    brum02/11/2020 22:43

I sell stuff like that buy it now only, they have to pay you immediately. …I sell stuff like that buy it now only, they have to pay you immediately. I then withdraw the money straight away so there's nothing in the account.Recorded delivery signed for, uk only and that's about it.

Good advice
    MonkeysUncle
    nickname_esco02/11/2020 22:26

How do you change settings so only those with good feedback can bid? I've …How do you change settings so only those with good feedback can bid? I've added line in description saying saying only those with over 20 feedback will be considered and other then manually cancelling buy it now offers with lower feedback duno what else I can do here...

Home, myebay, my account, site settings, then site preferences.

There will be a option for buyer requirements.

Or ebay.co.uk/bmg…nts
    PAISAL
    Haven't sold anything on eBay in years. But just some general points.

1) Using the word "console" means just that. A console. If I was asking the question, I'd use the same word instead of specifying it too. Why are you all inferring that they must be a "scalper" for using that word?

2) So what if they are? Are you all against the concept of making money? Businesses do it all the time. That's literally why they exist.

3) If you feel that they're an "evil scalper", then don't help them if that somehow makes you feel better. Instead of "Oh my God! Look! Scalper! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

4) Are you honestly telling me that if for some reason you had the opportunity to make money, perfectly legally, and you needed it, you wouldn't?

I'm not a huge fan of scalpers either. But this sudden collective development of selective morality is hilarious. Of all the economic injustices and problems in the World, "Scalping" a games console is at the very bottom. It's not even a blip. But everyone has a baby over it.

And all that is over something we don't even KNOW, but decided to infer because of correct word usage. (edited)
    Wadda
    I stopped selling on eBay as it’s got too many scammers and time wasters. Fees are too expensive too. I use Facebook marketplace these days. I have sold stuff and it’s been paid for and collected within hours of listing going up.
    c_mmxx
    Disagree with those saying video recording is pointless. Make sure you have all serial numbers etc. It may not be used by eBay, but you would have it as evidence to pursue a case in small claims court. EDIT: unseal it, record the contents, not just a sealed box. Obviously you'll have to say the box will be opened on the listing.

I don't care much for eBay now. It's far too stressful with so many scammers and no protection for sellers. Preferably use some other platform and accept only bank transfer or cash, ideally that you see drawn from a cash point or inside the bank. Do the trade somewhere with security and have recordings of faces and car number plates if applicable.

If you must use eBay, I suggest using an unreasonably high BIN price with best offer. When someone offers you a price you will accept, actually vet their feedback - go through all of it including the feedback left for others and responses from the sellers. If there is any instance of them claiming item not received item not arrived, or any other indication they have sought a refund or partial refund, just reject the offer, block them and move on.

EDIT: also, if possible do eBay collection only for cash (never accept paypal for collection) and don't offer to post it. (edited)
    D3LL80Y
    Definitely should do a cash and collection job
    Blueskinnedbeast
    deleted254788903/11/2020 12:16

Cash on collection. The only 100% secure way.

What if the buyer turns up with counterfeit notes or a sawn off shotgun
    rik111
    Ignore those that tell you to withdraw the money. If it’s refunded your PayPal will go into negative balance and will end up with the bailiffs knocking at your door.
    Also a lot of people have no sympathy for scalpers, in fact some would think they are doing society a favour by scamming them, expect a lot of it to be going on as who cares if a scalper gets scammed.
    What are you going to do when buyers requests a return which eBay approve and you get back a brick in a box ? eBay will just refund and there is F all you can do about it. Police won’t be interested and small claims is your word against theirs....
    Best way to not get scammed is don’t play at being a scalper, seems like easy money but can turn bad really easily.
    MonkeysUncle
    Make you you have settings to only sell to folks with good feedback etc.
    nickname_esco Author
    moneysaver8002/11/2020 22:16

Record serial number and proof item is in working condition.

It's brand-new never been opened. So make note of serial number and maybe make quick video showing it stil fully sealed?
    Whammerhead
    Limit it to those with 100% feedback & >20 items bought?
    brum
    I sell stuff like that buy it now only, they have to pay you immediately. I then withdraw the money straight away so there's nothing in the account.
    Recorded delivery signed for, uk only and that's about it.
    nickname_esco Author
    deleted234448002/11/2020 22:47

Best advice I can give - don’t bother. Much better to sell it for cash and …Best advice I can give - don’t bother. Much better to sell it for cash and actually hand it over to someone. Even if you film the whole package journey from your house to the buyers, they can still say it wasn’t in the box as you were selling it new and sealed, in a way, you dont even know it’s in there really unless you open it prior to posting. Not worth the hassle, too many scammers, and that comes from selling on eBay since it began.

Wow. I assume PayPal would look into a dispute and see my evidence and take into account my positive feedback over the years?
    nickname_esco Author
    Istanbul02/11/2020 22:54

Doesn’t finish once the buyer receives the console, they can turn and say i …Doesn’t finish once the buyer receives the console, they can turn and say it’s not working or anything similar and eBay will force you to take it back so you be left with a 2nd hand console. Really not worth the headache, sell it on a different platform

Interesting. I'll be attaching a legit receipt with the console so if not working it covered under warranty with the shop as paid for in cash...
    Istanbul
    nickname_esco02/11/2020 23:00

Interesting. I'll be attaching a legit receipt with the console so if not …Interesting. I'll be attaching a legit receipt with the console so if not working it covered under warranty with the shop as paid for in cash...

What if buyer says the controller wasn’t in the box, eBay doesn’t always accept video recording as proof?
    ashmac
    deleted234448002/11/2020 23:11

After selling it on eBay, the buyer has 180 days to raise a complaint with …After selling it on eBay, the buyer has 180 days to raise a complaint with eBay regarding pretty much anything. You will be forced to accept the return and money will be refunded whether you like it or not. Good luck with it though, I will be happy to reply to your ‘Help I’ve lost my console and the money after being scammed on eBay’ post within the next month or so. Have a search on here for other examples for a start.

He won’t have to refund if the money ain’t there , he can just lose the account
    crawff
    Has the OP already decided on eBay? It would appear so and just wants advice on what precautions to take. We can all say not to use eBay but I have the feeling the op has there heart set on it.
    PS5
    Why did you say "console" instead of naming the console? You can say if you are scalping
    The simple answer is that you cannot prevent it no matter what you do if posting the item. Even if you record yourself opening seal, testing, packaging and posting it at the post office it doesn't prove that it arrived safely without being stolen or swapped. Even if you recorded yourself driving it to the recipient it doesn't prove that there isn't a fault in 100 days time at which point PayPal will just demand a payment from you even if your account is empty.. (edited)
    nickname_esco Author
    deleted256527102/11/2020 23:29

Comment deleted

It will be brand-new and sealed tho so opening it to show it working would defeat this.....
    BadMF
    Sell it on eBay by all accounts, but sell it as cash on collection only. Then close and delete the eBay account so there’s no recourse when they try and get their money back via eBay/PayPal.

Because you will have your trousers pulled down.
    sdoherty1000
    Ha ha, someone is selling a ps5 for profit on eBay. Only offer cash on collection
's avatar
Top Merchants